Where has the "Hyper" gone? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 4:56 am Thread Starter

Where has the "Hyper" gone?

Once upon a time these pages were full of owners and riders revelling in the sheer lunacy of their Hypermotards, discussing how to make them more grunty, how to get those damn forks to work the way they looked, posting vids of track shennanigans and wheelies everywhere, generally living up to the "extreme" character of their bike. How many posters said that this bike was going to SHRED their licence?
Now we get 3 pages on ear-plugs! WTFawak has happened? How did the loony-tunes, torque-belching mono-meister with WSB brakes, semi-slick tyres and super-bike embarrassing attitude become a sport-tourer and a ..... gulp...... commuter.
FFS Ducati, put some Hyper back in your motard.

*(The opinions in this post do not necessarily represent the views of a sensible person)*

HM1100S, 998Bip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 5:53 am

I think the current line of hyper is more than capable of hooning around but I feel the Strada is the culprit for the mild reputation of the hyper line. Anyone who knows the history and lineage of the bike knows the potential of these machines. But your average joe may walk into a show room, see the strada and balk at the price and turn their eye to the base model hyper and save themselves ~$2k.

That said, I wanted a loud, ripper of a bike that wasnít brutal like s superbike, and thatís why I bought my 939. It does make a decent commuter bike but I didnít buy it for that purpose, but itís definitely a bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rex Coil 7 likes this.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 7:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoli1 View Post
Once upon a time these pages were full of owners and riders revelling in the sheer lunacy of their Hypermotards, discussing how to make them more grunty, how to get those damn forks to work the way they looked, posting vids of track shennanigans and wheelies everywhere, generally living up to the "extreme" character of their bike. How many posters said that this bike was going to SHRED their licence?

Now we get 3 pages on ear-plugs! WTFawak has happened? How did the loony-tunes, torque-belching mono-meister with WSB brakes, semi-slick tyres and super-bike embarrassing attitude become a sport-tourer and a ..... gulp...... commuter.

*(The opinions in this post do not necessarily represent the views of a sensible person)*

Thanks for the reminder to embrace to raw brutality of the hyper! It was long awaited when it came out and yes, Iím guilty of a waning hyper spirit. But screw that now! My 1100 Evo SP Corse is a beast!

Southern Oregon

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 7:41 am

Garage
Quote:

Because every Hyper since the original has been a techie wiz bang watered down version or the original. I am still very much enthralled with my 08. Every time I ride it I think of how it must have been conceived by two engineers drunk off their asses on red wine in a bar with a bevnap planning to stick the biggest motor in a dirt bike they could get away with then unleash on public streets. This bike has no practical reason for existing, it is pure [email protected] magic!

t_bare
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14333154_10154552983784700_3101513645123799600_n.jpg
Views:	1290
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	895369  

1 Ducati = Ducatista
2 Ducatis = Mechanic

2013 Multistrada GT Touring Grey
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
2002 Ducati 998 Faster Banana!!!
2000 KTM 300 EXC
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 7:48 am

Garage
Quote:

Major reason why I didn't get the CA cycleworks tank. Turning the Hyper into a touring bike seems against the spirit of the bike.

I think I saw a review somewhere of the Hyper that described it as "one of the best bikes to own, if you can only have one." The ergos are great, it's a blast to drive, you can do some light touring on it, and it doesn't cost as much as a GS. I can definitely see why people are trying to make it do everything. My Hyper is purely for hooliganing around the city though.

2016 Monster 821 | 2011 Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 10:11 am

Quote:
Once upon a time these pages were full of owners and riders revelling in the sheer lunacy of their Hypermotards, discussing how to make them more grunty, how to get those damn forks to work the way they looked, posting vids of track shennanigans and wheelies everywhere, generally living up to the "extreme" character of their bike.
This seems to be the way of many forums lately. I don't use FB, and understand many previously very busy boards are mostly contained to their group pages now. There will be a great migration back to forums, the herd can only drink the tainted water for so long.

12HM796
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 12:44 pm

One of my biggest regrets is trading away my 08' 1100. I'm scheming to get another one.
complexCarlo and Rex Coil 7 like this.
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 1:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgrad View Post
Major reason why I didn't get the CA cycleworks tank. Turning the Hyper into a touring bike seems against the spirit of the bike.

My Hyper is purely for hooliganing around the city though.
I wont get the CA Cycleworks tank because I would not be able to keep
the Stacks. The only thing better than an air cooled Hyper is a More
Hyper Air Cooled Hyper.

Many Have moved on to the 1290R Super Duke.

2008 Hypermotard 1100S.
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 2:23 pm
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan

Garage
There are still some ol skoolers around the forums. I remember back in 2012 when I joined I had my 796HM and there were so many legends posting... the bike was popular and everyone had their own personality ingrained into the bike.

Then the monstrosity of the watercooled motard came about. It had electronics, wet clutch, riding aids... some people loved it but over-time I think they lost a lot of why people throw a leg over these bikes in the first place.

Everyone knows how special these bikes are and when its all said and done only a few OG's will be left around. Me? Mine keeps me sane and alive. Cant wait to take it to the Dragon in May

2010 Hypermotard EVO SP
2012 Multistrada 1200s Touring
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 3:13 pm

When I bought my 939sp, I looked and looked for an 1100s. The few that I ran across were beat to hell and neglected.
I gave up and bought a new 939sp. I love it.
The mrs found a Monster 1100s that weekend that we bought as well for her. I love my new tech, but I clearly see why the original is so great!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode