Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

939 SP and tires

11K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  Pard 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I got a '17 939 SP in July and the rear tire is already pretty flat spotted. These tires are really overkill for the type of mixed riding I do. What are you guys using when you replace the stock softies? Was looking at the Michelin PP3. I haven't tracked it yet and won't be aside from maybe a few times a season. A lot of twisty back country though with a few longer straight line trips thrown in now and the what would you guys suggest?

#3 ·
Agreed that the Supercorsas are overkill unless you're at the track or only ride on the hairy edge. The new Dunlop Sportmax Q3+ will last you about 7,000 or more kms on the rear at moderate pace for mixed riding. Way less expensive than the Supercorsas and provide 90% of the performance. Hard to beat.

#5 ·
Honestly unless you ride primarily in the canyons/mountains the Q3 is also overkill. I hear the Q3+ is suppose to last longer than the Q3 but you still have to deal with the near slick tread in the wet.

For a really good all around tire look at the Bridgestone S21, Michelin Pilot POWER III, and the Pirelli Diablo Rosso III.

Right now the Rosso III is my favorite in that class. I’m getting awesome performance wet and dry and exceptional mileage for a sport tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#6 ·
Riding Pilot Road 4 on my 821 SP. Best year round street tire I have tried. Though new Road 5 is coming apparently. You can drag knee on these, and handle rain, dirt roads, wheelies, power slides, so on so forth. They will last much longer too. Been using Pilot Roads for street use on my GSXR, Tuono V4r and Hyper for years, only use hypersport rubber for track days.

#8 ·
I have 14000 miles on my SP and have tried Pirelli Diablo Corse, Michelin Pilot Power 3 and Power 1( burned up quick and overkill) , and currently running dumlop Q3's.

I dont get good milage out of the pirellie's, The pilot 3's were awesome and I got descent milage out of a set, like 2000. I am really liking the Q3's, very stable.

If your looking for milage, try the pirelli angel GT's.

#11 ·
I ride mostly canyon on the HM but unfortunately, a few longer rides on the interstate really put a hurting on the softer tires. I have almost 1800 on the supercorsa SP that it came with. The rear is done and I'll be looking at your suggestions. Thanks guys. A lot of good info here.

#14 ·
Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP V2

There are many pics of track tires around but these are purely from street riding. Do you think they are SOFT and STICKY on their edges? If street cornering is your thing, here's your DOT tire. They even warm up reasonably quick. The downside, of course, is price, poor wet performance and short life. :wink2: Cheers!

Attachments

Reactions: DuckMan
#15 ·
There are many pics of track tires around but these are purely from street riding. Do you think they are SOFT and STICKY on their edges? If street cornering is your thing, here's your DOT tire. They even warm up reasonably quick. The downside, of course, is price, poor wet performance and short life.
Cheers!
This is the truth. I personally run them as well and it's 4,000 kms to a rear. I can see why one might step "down" to a Q3 or maybe a DR3 if one was so inclined to commute or do light touring. I personally would never put a heavy, less sticky, higher mileage tire on there like a pilot road or an Angel GT. If you've gone as far as to shell out the extra $$$ for the SP with its lighter wheels and trick suspension, then why sabotage all that with sub-par rubber? My POV...to each their own.

#16 ·
I'm pleased with the performance of the Metzeler Sportec M7 RR I put on about 3000 miles ago. Good balance between all out performance and daily commute life. I'm probably 2/3s through the life of the rear with 100 highway/neighborhood commute miles during the week and 100-200 canyon type road spirited miles from weekends.

#17 ·
After reading tons of reviews and checking out the tire in person, I recently installed a set of Michelin Power RS tires on my 14' SP. It has the 2ct Michelin compound so the centers are harder than the sides which should increase mileage on the street. Two days ago I did my first track day with them and they were perfectly at home all the way on the edge in both my wet and dry sessions. I can't speak for mileage yet since I only have about 600 miles on them but so far they aren't really showing any wear in the centers at all.

#18 ·
Resurrecting this thread to discuss the 2019 Hypermotard tire choices.

The supercorsas that came with the 2019 SP are nice but are wearing out really quickly.

I was very satisfied with the Michelin Power RS tires on my Panigale, so I will be getting a set for the hyper as well.

After I run them, I will report back.

Attachments

#30 ·
FWIW, my rebate was approved right away just by forwarding the purchase receipt email from bike bandit.

I ran Q3s on an R6 on the track. They are good tires. Saving $40 on already value priced tires makes me happy.

I will let you know how they run on the hyper on the street.

#22 ·
I don’t want to poop on anyone’s parade but I just went through this and got stiffed by Dunlop. I bought my tires from Revzilla and they had a link to submit the docs online. Did that. Couple weeks later got an email saying they couldn’t read it the receip. What? It’s an electronic copy. So I took a photo of it and sent it in again. Couple weeks later they said they still couldn’t read the date right or something like that.

I replied they could keep their rebate and shove it up their asses. Next time I’ll buy Pirelli which I like better anyway. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#23 ·
Sometimes I don't even get why THEY bother. For $20-$100 it seems like it costs them more in BS admin to work it out than the rebate would be worth for additional sales. And then WE get jacked around.

I had a situation with Goodyear a few years ago with a $50 rebate, came in the form of a gift card. It took me almost a full hour to fill out the ridiculous questionnaire, then 4 weeks for this gift card to show up in the mail, and now I have a gift card and not cash. Can't use it for my tires...can't get cash...can't use it at the gas pump...I now have to carry this around with me until I find somewhere and something to use $50.00. And if the balance isn't perfect I've got to juggle all my other cards around. Man, discount the price, or leave me alone!

Sorry, rant over.

#24 ·
I've got the Diablo Supercorsa SP's on my 2018, and I love them. However, here's a question for you gents.

Approaching 2,500 miles, and my rear is starting to slightly flat spot. I'm in Northwest Indiana...there are only so many places you can find twisties, and only so many times you can drive around a roundabout without exiting before you vomit inside your helmet.

TWI is still significantly below, so I should have plenty of life left. BUT, at what point do you start worrying about the flat spot and change it early because of that, even though the TWI is indicating you've got plenty of life left?

Yes, I did think about entering said roundabout and giving her hell until I rounded the tire back out. Problem is, I don't have any wrong way roundabouts to go in the opposite direction. :wink2:

#25 ·
A good indicator is when you can get off the bike without putting the side stand down, and the bike doesn't fall over. :)

Here in Texas it's the same. When mine get squared off I can tell by the way the bike falls into turns rather than a smooth transition. I use the Supercorsa only on my Monster which I track and take to the mountains. For flatlands I prefer the Rosso III which stays round a lot longer.

#26 ·
Hmm. Now you've really got me thinking. I mean, I do love these tires, and even in reading through the thread I wasn't considering changing. BUT, being that you're down in flat Texas, with a similar situation, use both sets (for different applications), and have better experience with the Rosso III's for the street, you have my gears turning.

In the rare instance that you would get the Rosso III's into come turns, do you notice any negative difference? If they stay rounder longer, that's great, but I'm just trying to understand what I'm going to pay for. If staying rounder longer is the plus, what is the minus?

#27 ·
The Rosso III isn't as grippy as the Supercorsa SP, but they are still good. I keep them on my KTM 990SMT and have ridden it several time up to Deal's Gap and beyond. They last well on the highways and are good enough to scrape the pegs in the mountains. And the Rosso's are WAY better in the rain. The Corsa II is a good compromise between the two others.

#34 ·
#37 ·
Set of Dunlop Q4s on the way. Really interested to see if they offer better aggressive street riding performance compared to the Q3+, Power RS, and Supercorsas I have tried.

Expensive and will have a short life, so they need to deliver something for those costs.

$40 rebate on these via cash card from dunlop. Use it to fill up the truck with 1/2 tank gas, but you need to walk into the register, cant pay at the pump.

Dunlop Sportmax Q4 Motorcycle Tire 1 200.79
Rear, 180/55-17, Radial, 17, Tubeless, 73, W, Black Wall
Part Number: 4636876
Dunlop Sportmax Q4 Motorcycle Tire 1 156.16
Front, 120/70-17, Radial, 17, Tubeless, 58, W, Black Wall
Part Number: 4636875

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.