939 SP and tires - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 11:34 am

First ride with the Q3+ tires today on the Hyper.

They are a good choice as far as I can tell. No adverse performance reactions compared to the SuperCorsas.

Hopefully they will last longer than the Supercorsas which were shot at 1900 miles.
Hyper939SP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 7:15 am

The Dunlop Q4s are on my list to try next. Will not be as long lasting as the Q3+ but should offer great grip at the edges. Curious to compare.

post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 2:22 pm

More on the Dunlop Q4. They seem to be a closer alternative to the Supercorsa than the Q3+

Grip matters more than tire life in my estimation, even on the street.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...13-fast-facts/

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 2:33 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pard View Post
More on the Dunlop Q4. They seem to be a closer alternative to the Supercorsa than the Q3+

Grip matters more than tire life in my estimation, even on the street.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...13-fast-facts/
As i'm aware. We in Eu dont have q3 and q4?
What's the difference between these tyres and gp racer 212 and gp racer pro?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

S2R 1000 07' - Sold
Streetfighter S 09'
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 2:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmofreak View Post
As i'm aware. We in Eu dont have q3 and q4?
What's the difference between these tyres and gp racer 212 and gp racer pro?

Good question. Not sure of the answer.

Found these threads with a quick search:

"The big difference I see is that they recommend warmers for the GP-A and they don't for the Q4. I question whether a rider would ever get the GP-A up to temp on the street, where I think the Q4 would work great. Never used either one, so that's only an opinion based on reading the specs."

"I was amazed at how much more lean angle I was getting, and flicking in so much quicker than on the GPAs. In several corners, I had to lift my knee up to let the bike lean more. In a few I kept thinking, I could probably lean even more!

Overall, I like them. I managed the pressures throughout the day keeping them at 32 and 34. It was a HOT Day, over 100*. "

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/s...unlop-gpa.html

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/s...00-55-a-4.html

"So Dunlop developed the Q4, to fill the gap between the sticky Q3+ that gives a nod to long tire life, and the GPA full race tire that truly needs racing speeds and tire-warmers to work properly."

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ence-on-track/

Last edited by Pard; Jun 23rd, 2019 at 3:00 pm.
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 2:47 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pard View Post
Good question. Not sure of the answer.

Found these threads with a quick search:

"The big difference I see is that they recommend warmers for the GP-A and they don't for the Q4. I question whether a rider would ever get the GP-A up to temp on the stree, where I think the Q4 would work great. Never used either one, so that's only an opinion based on reading the specs."

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/s...unlop-gpa.html

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/s...00-55-a-4.html
I rode gp racer 211 medium compound on the street. It's crazy sticky, but you have to play with the pressures and you need warm weather.
212 gp racer medium compound i rode on the track without warmers, two laps with decent tempo and it's ready to rock. But again, plenty mumbo jumbo with pressure (for the rear tyre).
I will use another rear 212 and afther that switch to supercorsa sc2.

Pard likes this.

S2R 1000 07' - Sold
Streetfighter S 09'
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 9:11 am

Set of Dunlop Q4s on the way. Really interested to see if they offer better aggressive street riding performance compared to the Q3+, Power RS, and Supercorsas I have tried.

Expensive and will have a short life, so they need to deliver something for those costs.

$40 rebate on these via cash card from dunlop. Use it to fill up the truck with 1/2 tank gas, but you need to walk into the register, cant pay at the pump.

Dunlop Sportmax Q4 Motorcycle Tire 1 200.79
Rear, 180/55-17, Radial, 17, Tubeless, 73, W, Black Wall
Part Number: 4636876
Dunlop Sportmax Q4 Motorcycle Tire 1 156.16
Front, 120/70-17, Radial, 17, Tubeless, 58, W, Black Wall
Part Number: 4636875
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Do you need more on the street than the SuperCorsa’s or Q3+’s provide? How has Q3+ wear been compared to SC’s?
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus duc View Post
Do you need more on the street than the SuperCorsa’s or Q3+’s provide? How has Q3+ wear been compared to SC’s?
Q3+ is wearing better than the supercorsas, by about 25% maybe more. I got 2k miles out of the SCs and that was during break in phase, while the Q3+ will likely go 2.5 K, almost there.

i don't need more than the Q3+, but I am curious to see how they perform. I am getting 50 degree lean angles with the Q3+ (measured with bike trip app) and no hint of grip loss, and I am driving hard out of corners without any problems and without DTC intervention is sport mode. I am generally smooth so that is not a big deal.

Where the q3+ may be limited is in aggressive braking with ABS at sport setting of 2. I am getting a bit too much interference from the ABS, and I am not inclined to set it at level 1-track for the street.

I am curious to see if the Q4 will grip just a bit better under braking to prevent ABS intrusion.

Curious about the feel as well. The SC and the Q3+ have very different feel. Feel is of course a very subjective issue in any case.

The tire calibration on the 2019 Hyper has a software bug yet to be fixed by Ducati. I suspect that is part of the problem with the rider aids as well. The speedo is off by 10% judging against the GPS.
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Which feel better to you? You might want to try ABS on 1 too...I run ABS 1 & TC off on my 939 on the street & it’s been fantastic. I have never activated the ABS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode