Suspension redone right - Mupo - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2016, 4:14 pm Thread Starter
RSL

Suspension redone right - Mupo

Made in Italy, tested on Ducati, fully adjustable, Mupo transforms a Hyperstrada or Hypermotard from OK to probably better than the SP set-up. Why? Well, this is the opinion of the track suspension shop that performed my installation. While he thinks the world of the racing line of Ohlins, he says the OE line has not fared so well over the years, becoming just better than average.

Anyway, I didn't care for the performance on my regular height Hyperstrada. But then, I always replace the suspension on every vehicle I own.

Now I have a Strada with a balanced and compliant suspension. Whether riding the rocky dirt Forest Service roads or the somewhat paved twisty backroads or the well paved sweeper highways, the Mupo keep the tires connected and make both slow speed or high speed bumps from changing my desired line or sending shocks up to me.

http://mupo.it/products-bike/6/602/d...rd-821939-1316

Mupo cartridges were installed in both forks, which required some modification of the left fork to accept a cartridge. Mupo offers a single replacement cartridge for the right side, which offers about 70% the performance of going with both.

In order for a balanced suspension it was important to also use the Mupo shock. I chose the AB-1 shock because it offers both high and low speed adjustment.

$2,655 for everything including installation on my bike, correct springs for my weight and riding, and any follow-up adjustments.

On Road Off Road Cycles Suspension Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2016, 4:43 am

Thank you for the pictures, prices and information. I've got the base 2015 hyper but I'm a bit hesitant to pay that much on the suspension but I'm sure it is worth it. So far I feel pretty good with the stock suspension for street riding. I'm 190 lbs (without gear).
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2016, 6:20 am Thread Starter
RSL

On regular roads the OE suspension is OK.

It's when you get on my favorite kind of backroads that a significant improvement is needed to keep the desired line and tires well connected to the road surface.

Roads like these with often poor surfaces.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2016, 7:19 am Thread Starter
RSL

The Mupos transformed how the bike transits rocky Forest Service roads (this was the smooth part).

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2016, 8:00 am Thread Starter
RSL

Note that the Mupo selection is the same for the 821 and 939 Hypers. The difference being whether yours is short or normal ride height.

In reality, it is easier to get a Hypermotard and upgrade the suspension than to get a SP, with the nose bleed seat height, and lower it.

Whether one gets the short seat height Hyperstrada is a matter of inseam.

With a 34" inseam, the normal height Hypermotard seat height is perfect. The Mupo doesn't settle as much as the OE suspension, offering a rolling ground clearance much better than before. Something that helps cornering.

Last edited by RSL; Oct 28th, 2016 at 8:06 am.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2016, 9:59 am

Garage
Thanks for posting. I've been thinking about it and I think this is the way I want to go. I've reached out to Albert about doing the same for me. My only wish is for bigger diameter forks.

2014 Hyperstrada - mods in-work
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2016, 10:17 am Thread Starter
RSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToTheBown View Post
Thanks for posting. I've been thinking about it and I think this is the way I want to go. I've reached out to Albert about doing the same for me. My only wish is for bigger diameter forks.
The cartridges do the work, the forks prevent flex. Lightweight bike. Look at the fork diameter of the MX bikes that take a whole lot more abuse than the Hyper on bad roads. With the proper cartridges, the forks function perfect. No need to spend additional money for no additional performance.

The KTM 450 SX has 48mm forks, the Hyper has 43mm forks. I just don't see the 5mm as having enough of a difference to matter. Especially considering the performance being the goal.

If I resume multi-day loops with luggage, I will add this preload adjuster.

Last edited by RSL; Oct 28th, 2016 at 6:04 pm.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2016, 10:36 am Thread Starter
RSL

OK, for most the OE suspension is fine. Commuting, riding around town, etc... For others, where the rider is a bigger guy, like me, or there is an expectation of higher suspension performance, like me, based on decades of riding with high performance suspension, like me too, this upgrade is worthwhile.

Would I have been happier with the SP, adding a lot of the Strada stuff to permit the 300 to 400 mile days of exploration? I just don't like the idea of lifting a leg over that nose bleed seat height all day, nor not being flat foot.

The best compromise is what I did. A regular ride height Strada and this suspension upgrade.

Considering that the new 939 has the same chassis and suspension, this review provides 3rd party insight as to the difference between OE and SP suspension.

In addition, I ride a lot off-road on easy Jeep trails and just barely paved fire roads in National Forests. For these roads the OE suspension just plain doesn't work at the speeds I ride.

These backroad passes allow for spirited riding without traffic or upsetting law enforcement.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2016, 10:41 am Thread Starter
RSL

This Blacksmith Flats ride video shows the kind of road the OE suspension fails.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Movies/20...h-Flat-960.mp4

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2016, 4:01 pm

Isn't it sad we have to upgrade the suspension on an already pricey bike? Even the SP is not good. I like the extra ground clearance and can flat-foot my SP, so the 'strada or standard 'motard was out of the question. But now I am looking into a complete fork replacement as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode