821 Dry Clutch Conversion - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 2 Post By Dr freedom
  • 3 Post By JACKIE TREEHORN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2016, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

821 Dry Clutch Conversion

Ive spent some time trying to find a dry clutch conversion kit for the 821 motor, thus far no joy.
Does anyone know of a dry kit?
Ive contacted Ducabike & they said they do not have one, yet they make clear oil bath kit & mechanical (or) hydro slave cylinders to suit, they have a pushrod in a hydraulic lever kit.. so I find it odd they dont have one.

15 Hyper SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2016, 10:09 pm

Someone here, I think in Thailand, did the conversion. I recall seeing a picture but no info.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 11:21 pm Thread Starter

so after a loooong search I found that you can buy off the shelf kits for the 13/14 models however due to the oil pickup & pump structure of the 15/16/17 these kits are useless

I found the gentleman in Thailand (he is an engineering genius riding a 14), after some discussion he made/modded me a housing to suit the oil pick up for my 15 SP & supplied all the gearing. The housing & gearing is from an S4RS

The result is excellent & another one of those moments that baffles me as to why Ducati did not offer this to the 821/939. The clutch is working exactly as it should, no false neutrals, perfect selection up & down.

Austen and HyperJB like this.

15 Hyper SP

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 1:26 pm
Smut peddler

That's awesome! Now you got yourself a proper Ducati. I ran into a guy on a panigale that did a dry conversion, cost him $4G. I guess with enough money, anything is possible... even two chicks at one time.
Mojo66, Dr freedom and HyperJB like this.

09 multi 1100, 11 hyper, 1100, 12 monster 1100
Mike D grabbed the money, MCA snatched the gold, I grabbed two girlies and a beer that's cold.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Do you happen to have any more pics of the cover inside and/or any more info? I'm looking to possibly do this to my 13 hyper. I'm curious if I could reuse the wet slipper clutch but in a dry configuration. I understand that the oil pump gear and clutch gear need to be replaced to make this work as the clutch gear has a round area that seals to the open housing but would like to see/hear more.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Also, which slave cylinder did you end up with? I figure I would start there. Find an I expensive used slave cylinder on ebay and make some parts around that.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by araitim View Post
Do you happen to have any more pics of the cover inside and/or any more info? I'm looking to possibly do this to my 13 hyper. I'm curious if I could reuse the wet slipper clutch but in a dry configuration. I understand that the oil pump gear and clutch gear need to be replaced to make this work as the clutch gear has a round area that seals to the open housing but would like to see/hear more.
Sorry for the late response ..
You wont be able to use the same plates. I guess a rule with doing is yes try to not blow a tonne of money doing it but at the same time dont cheap out.
Yours being a 13 is easier than the 15 > so when it comes to the oil pump & whatnot the parts are a simple changeover with the S4R/S.
Ill dig some pics out & get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by araitim View Post
Also, which slave cylinder did you end up with? I figure I would start there. Find an I expensive used slave cylinder on ebay and make some parts around that.
Ive had a few now. Stock Ducati (too hard), Ducabike (I had a soft one), Ive gone back to the mid CNC Racing slave.

15 Hyper SP
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2019, 6:29 am

Perfect, thank you. I am still working twards this. I have since converted to hydraulic actuated clutch using most of the parts from an 848. I then switched to an Oberon slave cylinder. So far so good for that. I broke my pressure plate and switched to a Ducabike piece. If it brakes then I will be converting sooner than later. Pics would be very helpful when you get a moment please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode