Official Thread: 1st Gen Air Cooled HM Chat - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 1534 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2014, 12:30 pm

It's great to see some old members posting and even better to see the new folks checking in. Hopefully word will get out that we are still talking about the 2-valves here.

I'd like to put a question to you all. Has anyone done the research to find out how many Hypers were produced 2007-2012? Someone asked me and I realized I didn't have a clue.

Thanks
complexCarlo likes this.

Trust me, I'm the Doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 1534 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2014, 1:29 pm
Mexican Ducatista

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoyam View Post
Can't speak to newer Ducatis but I doubt I'll be buying anything newer anyway. Ducati seems to have lost their way and none of the new bikes really stir me.
I agree with you! I couldn't find a new model Duc that stired me and decided to look for a 1st gen HM.

Despite of that, I think that Ducati is still doing a good job in improving the current product portfolio. They cannot sit still in this competitive business, so they have to improve successful product lines like the Monster, HM and SBK.

We know that improving today's portfolio is just one part of the story (the part that japanese and german companies including Ducati owners - Audi are excellent at).

The other part of the story is the one that keeps us Ducati enthusiasts in love with the brand: The disruptive "Think different" part.

Tamburini's 750 Paso, Galluzi's Monster and Terblanche's Hypermotard were disrubtive in their time. Ducati took a big risk listening at what these crazy guys were saying. It paid off sometimes because they were stirring bikes, but not always (remember the controversial 999, coming out from the same genius that brought us the HM).

I am glad that they keep taking risks and thinking ouside of the box with projects like the scrambler. Hopefully, the next stirring Ducati will come out soon.

Jorge
Hypermotard 1100S Click here; GT1000 Click here; Classic Taldea Desmodue 1000 Build Project In Progress

Last edited by egomexico; Jul 5th, 2014 at 2:27 pm.
post #23 of 1534 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2014, 1:58 pm
Mexican Ducatista

Garage
HM selling figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. John View Post
I'd like to put a question to you all. Has anyone done the research to find out how many Hypers were produced 2007-2012? Someone asked me and I realized I didn't have a clue.
Not much information out there. This link is from the UK. Its an old note prior to the 2013 HM launch:
Water-cooled Ducati Hypermotard - Motorcycle news: New bikes - Visordown

Their comments are alligned with the line of thought Ducati followed when designing the Hyperstrada.

This is just my hunch: 1st gen HM was a top seller in its first year, people were attracted to it because of the great reviews (by experienced riders), best of show award and radical looks. Sales should have come down because although it was a really fun bike for experienced riders, it was an intimidating bike for others. Too torquey, too nimble, seating position too high and close to the handlebar, brakes too strong, clutch too edgy, ... too untameable. I suppose Ducati hurried to bring out the more user friendly 796 HM because of that.

I believe that they are going to sell much more liquid cooled HMs than the air cooled versions (specially the 1100). They are powerful and easier to ride. But for the 1st gen HM enthusiasts that's a good thing. It makes us proud to have something unique and special.

Jorge
Hypermotard 1100S Click here; GT1000 Click here; Classic Taldea Desmodue 1000 Build Project In Progress

Last edited by egomexico; Jul 5th, 2014 at 2:42 pm.

post #24 of 1534 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2014, 2:29 pm

I visit the site often but don't bother to post much as the new version takes most the space these days. No bashing the new hypers are cool I'm just old school and the air cooled dry clutch mega torque all trellis frame gets my blood boiling.

In 2008 Laguna Seca MotoGP Ducati Island had the Hypermotard display semi on hand with massive Hypers in attendance. That was it for me...game over the 08 Hypermotard 1100S was the bike for me. If you recall back then the marketing from Ducati was larger then life for the new all new hypermotard. " Believe the hype" tag line was in full force with larger then life 4 color real marketing collateral that was all Hypermotard. This was the year to see more Hypers in one place and a change in direction for Ducati was on the way. If you were their the race between Stoner and Rossi was the best will ever see in ones lifetime at Mazda Raceway.

When first released and before going into production Ducati started a blog on their home Internet page just to gage the public reaction to the bike....the Hypermotard was such a hit the volume of activity on the Ducati home site actually CRASH! Never before in history has such a machine drew so much interest from the public. The earlier drafts of the bike called for turn indicators incorporated on the fold out mirrors and a single front disc brake. This was a new concept for Ducati and they took a chance with Terblanche and the Hypermotard. They made it clear that Ducati is building sportbikes-that's it. Of course, you can build many types of sportbikes- a pure sportbike at the time, like the 1098, or a sportbike with a different attitude, like the Hypermotard. People that wanted a Hypermotard in 2007 had to be placed on a list and only selected dealerships with minimal allocations were being delivered into California. The demand was very high and you were lucky if you were one of the few on the list to have a Hypermotard in 2007.

For me the bike touches all the senses. From the moment the dust cover comes off in the garage the experience begins. Starting the bike in the garage and the light flywheel and how the bike accelerates in neutral, the crispy sound through un-baffle 2 into 1 termignoni is all about the experience before even leaving the house. Only the first Gen hyper can bring the soul from the air cooled L-twin directly to the body for me. Riding it only gets better.

1999 ZRX 1100
1989 Suzuki GSXR 1100 - sold
2008 Ducati hypermotard 1100s
2011 Ducati Diavel Red Carbon
post #25 of 1534 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2014, 9:54 pm

Thank you for starting this thread. I look forward to hear people post about the 1st Gen hypermotard.

2010 Hypermotard EVO SP
post #26 of 1534 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2014, 1:14 am

Now riding 2nd gen hyper. Gonna admit i missed the 1st gen dryclutch and loud termis!!

2nd gen is for comfort and long distance riding with pillion

Honda Phantom 200cc 2006 --->2007
Honda Super Four 400cc 2007--->2008
Kawasaki Concours 1400cc 2008 --->2010
Yamaha X1R 135CC - 2010 ---> 2011
Honda PCX 125CC - 2011 ---> 2011
Ducati Hypermotard 1100 EVO - 2011---> 2013
Kymco Myroad 700I - 2011 --- > 2014
Ducati Hyperstrada - 2013 ----->
Honda NC 750 XA 2014 ----->
post #27 of 1534 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2014, 3:20 am Thread Starter
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan

Excellent discussion here, keep it coming and great to see the new and recognizable names!

Went on a nice long, adrenaline packed, day ride today through the Santa Cruz mountains. It was fun experiencing some tight single track like one- way roads and also going through the big SBK sweepers. It feels at home in each!

Lay her through a corner, open the throttle on exit and BOOOM!! Just like a cannon explosion, You are GONE!!! As you're rocketing at out of the corners like a bullet the front wheel floats up and hovers as if it were a cloud and never before did a wheelie like this feel so natural. Pretty soon the next corner is coming up and as if the two were connected, the bike transitions over as quickly as your eyes begin to look through the corner and retains that positive line all the way through. After some built up speed going down a straight, tap the brakes for that next sharp corner and it immediately responds with a gripping and intense feel.

Okay, I think I should just be buried with this bike.

For me, the Hyper is all about releasing that built up adrenaline after a long day's hard work. I know some folks use it for touring and whatnot but for me, it's all about offering an extreme performance, look and feel in a certain demeanor that is unmatched.

This promo video is very much subject to opinion in many different lights, but for me, it has always been what the first gen Hyper is all about.

http://youtu.be/RV60dTVZG68

Quote:
I bought my '08 Standard used in the spring of '09 with 1500 miles on it. I have totally coveted this bike since it's inception. The love affair between us (myself and my Italian bitch) is as strong today as it was the first time I saw her! I wouldn't dream of parting with her, as we have been through alot. In the fall of '09, I got hit by a cager. My leg and foot took the brunt of the damage, but I was completely devistated that my mistress was mistreated and scratched. In due time, we both healed, and ended up in Colorado upon roads that are tailor made for the Hyper! I guess karma isn't ALWAYS a bitch
Wow, you sure have!

Quote:
Cant shake the feeling of getting on an Air Cooled DUC. BEST FEELING EVER
Nope! I've never ridden a motorcycle that ignites the passion as much as this! Thumbs up

Quote:
I probably have about 25k miles on it.
Nice!

Quote:
This is just my hunch: 1st gen HM was a top seller in its first year, people were attracted to it because of the great reviews (by experienced riders), best of show award and radical looks. Sales should have come down because although it was a really fun bike for experienced riders, it was an intimidating bike for others. Too torquey, too nimble, seating position too high and close to the handlebar, brakes too strong, clutch too edgy, ... too untameable. I suppose Ducati hurried to bring out the more user friendly 796 HM because of that.

I believe that they are going to sell much more liquid cooled HMs than the air cooled versions (specially the 1100). They are powerful and easier to ride. But for the 1st gen HM enthusiasts that's a good thing. It makes us proud to have something unique and special.
Ah my friend, you just described my perfect bike! Yes! You are totally right and I couldn't agree with you more. There is NO electronic rider mode nonsense. It is all YOU, the rider, and that's the way that it should be. Don't get it right with the big 1100 and she'll bite but guess what when you do, boy, is it ever a rewarding experience. That is a true enthusiast's machine and like you said, is not for everybody and can very well come across intimidating.

To expand even further on it, I think that is why the 1098SF was dropped. Another bike that is very appealing to me for these very same reasons and would like to own one alongside the HM one day.

Quote:
I'm just old school and the air cooled dry clutch mega torque all trellis frame gets my blood boiling.
I'm right there with ya and wouldn't have it any other way!

Quote:
In 2008 Laguna Seca MotoGP Ducati Island had the Hypermotard display semi on hand with massive Hypers in attendance. That was it for me...game over the 08 Hypermotard 1100S was the bike for me. If you recall back then the marketing from Ducati was larger then life for the new all new hypermotard. " Believe the hype" tag line was in full force with larger then life 4 color real marketing collateral that was all Hypermotard. This was the year to see more Hypers in one place and a change in direction for Ducati was on the way. If you were their the race between Stoner and Rossi was the best will ever see in ones lifetime at Mazda Raceway.

When first released and before going into production Ducati started a blog on their home Internet page just to gage the public reaction to the bike....the Hypermotard was such a hit the volume of activity on the Ducati home site actually CRASH! Never before in history has such a machine drew so much interest from the public. The earlier drafts of the bike called for turn indicators incorporated on the fold out mirrors and a single front disc brake. This was a new concept for Ducati and they took a chance with Terblanche and the Hypermotard. They made it clear that Ducati is building sportbikes-that's it. Of course, you can build many types of sportbikes- a pure sportbike at the time, like the 1098, or a sportbike with a different attitude, like the Hypermotard. People that wanted a Hypermotard in 2007 had to be placed on a list and only selected dealerships with minimal allocations were being delivered into California. The demand was very high and you were lucky if you were one of the few on the list to have a Hypermotard in 2007.
I do remember the extent of the promotions when it came out! I seem to remember they went over the top offering lots of demo rides, doing stunt performances from Ernie Vigil, primarily, and Nick Apex. Heck, it was even featured in two or three movies two. There was a lot of Hype (pun intended ) around when it first debuted more so than typical and was neat to see.

Thanks for providing all of the history too! Very interesting and I didn't know about the lists in 2007, blog on site or the crash. Great post!

Quote:
For me the bike touches all the senses. From the moment the dust cover comes off in the garage the experience begins. Starting the bike in the garage and the light flywheel and how the bike accelerates in neutral, the crispy sound through un-baffle 2 into 1 termignoni is all about the experience before even leaving the house. Only the first Gen hyper can bring the soul from the air cooled L-twin directly to the body for me. Riding it only gets better.
Now that's the experience!! I know exactly what you mean about the sound and whole essence of what you described as I've always thought that too. With the 848 flywheel on the EVO, the revs are super quick. Combined with the exhaust and intake, it not only sounds but has the same characteristics of a race bike when you rev it up in neutral. After I got back home with the bike in the trailer today, I had to reload it back in and rode it up the ramp. I wanted to let her warm up a bit before before shutting it off so let it run a bit inside the trailer. Gave it a few revs and hearing the sound bounce off the walls made my ears bleed and sound like WSBK!

'10 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP l Termignoni 2-1 Full Exhaust l Reflashed ECU l PC-5 l Custom Dyno Tune l Corse Dynamics Velocity Stacks l UNI Pod Foam Air Filters l Remote Crankcase & Idle Air K&N Filters l DP Skid Plate l 1098 SFS Clutch Cover l Corse Dynamics Oil Fill & Drain Plugs l Speedymoto Frame & Axle Sliders l DP Reservoir Covers l DP Racing Seat l Antigravity Battery l 190/55 Rear l

Last edited by Austen; Jul 6th, 2014 at 3:46 am.
post #28 of 1534 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2014, 10:39 am

Vb1100sp checking in .
Latest video from 757_tard and I . He's flying the paraglider filming me on the bike . What a fun day
http://youtu.be/TvyYo6TJ7U8

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #29 of 1534 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2014, 10:44 am

I did a demo ride in 2008, when the truck and trailer road show came to town. Said to myself this motorcycle has no purpose other than fun. Your just riding a set of handlebars. So, when I ran across a first year S with the original tires, I had to have it. Just got back from the West Coast Meet-up in Graeagle after doing 1600miles of FUN!

post #30 of 1534 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2014, 11:45 am
Mexican Ducatista

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb1100sp View Post
Latest video from 757_tard and I . He's flying the paraglider filming me on the bike . What a fun day
Duc Duc Goose - Paramotor & Motorcycle Short Film - YouTube
Nice video!

Jorge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode