Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Official Thread: 1st Gen Air Cooled HM Chat

366K views 2K replies 261 participants last post by  JEFFRPM 
#1 ·

A chat/bs/what have you thread for anything and everything related to the original first gen air cooled HM.

See less See more
#35 · (Edited)
Since all of us air cooled riders are on here, looking to get some input on reading spark plugs. I bought my 2012 evo sp stock with 900 miles on her. First thing was a reflash and a baseline tune from redline performance in Yorktown . After about 1500 miles I put in velocity stacks and a full system 2-1 exhaust. The bike runs extremely strong with no flat spots in the rev range that I can feel ( butt dyno ) and no decel popping or anything and spark plugs continue to be a light/medium brown in color and have stayed that way for 4500 miles now. Should I be concerned with a too lean issue or is spark plug color a reliable source of periodically checking ? Thanks guys... And ladies (@KT)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#36 ·
The best lo tech indicator there is ...Brisk plugs are worth the money ...my ass dyno says so.
Glad you are enjoying it . I haven't ridden since May 4th , shoulder surgery. > I think that if you can't pick it up ....
I took it out one time recently anyway and proceeded to put it in to a death wobble almost right away.
I should be ready soon , I can hardly watch this nice weather pass me by.
I think it's 821 hunting season next month.. haha

#39 ·
#40 ·
#42 ·
Love my air cooled 1100. I normally get bored of bikes and cars rather quickly, but this thing just gets me going every time I get on it.
I think the fact it feels angry and unrefined keeps me enjoying it, bikes that do everything properly and smoothly just get boring for me!

#46 ·
Checking in. I don't post a lot usually and only a few on the forum probably actually know me.

My HM was totalled out by the insurance company last July when a Suburban pulled out in front of me. Only a couple things broken on me and more on the bike but I still bought it back from the insurance company and am building a track only Hyper out of it. It will be my #2 track bike and probably turn into #1 after it's all said and done. I don't usually post thread builds but might on this one as it's been a lot of cool and different things going on with it.

I tried to ride my 748 at Jennings on Dec 30 and could only do three laps before pulling in. I could ride but didn't feel comfortable with strength and didn't want to be a hazard for other riders. I started riding my mini bike (XR100) again in March and have been progressing pretty good. I can actually ride the bigger bike now but haven't been to a trackday to check my level yet. I hope to have the Hyper back together possibly by US Desmo Barber event later this year.

I agree with some of the statements here about the first gen. It is definitely a bike with character. Before my accident I was at about 80% track riding and 20% street so I figured might as well make it 100% track. Plus none of the new models seemed to excite me as a street bike that would only get ridden to Indy and in the mountains once in awhile.

#50 ·
thanks

Just got my '08 1100. LOVE IT!!! Ive had an arm ripping Tuono Factory, KTM's but none are as smooth and nimble as this thing. Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. This forum has already helped me!

#51 ·
I'm going on a year with my '08 1100s and I love it. I just did my belts and valves this winter as well as a Leo slipon and DP ECU. It is do much fun to ride and I love the sound of the uncorked 1100.

My paranoid self hears a rattle that seems to be coming from the front between 4k and 5k rpm's. Makes me think I made a couple opening shims too loose on the exhaust side, but the sound isn't there below or above that rpm range. Anyone else have this or is it all in my head? I've shook and bumped everything to try to find the source but have come up empty.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#53 ·
Hey mia748sp, good to hear you and the Hyper are on on the mend. An argument with a Suburban rarely ends well.

I hope you get the bike back on the track soon, at least you won't have to dodge SUVs out there.

Your old big tank is being used every day and now I don't have to stop all the time to look for gas. For me this has completely changed riding in remote areas. Love it, thanks again.

#54 ·
Interesting thread. I had a black 1100s a couple of years ago and sold it for an RSV4 factory (which I still own and love - not getting rid of it) I got the opportunity for a second bike and went for another hyper (I shouldn't have gotten rid of the first one!) - this is the only bike in 25 years of riding that ive bought a second one of, well, almost - ive got an 1100evo now. Got it pretty well stock apart from a twin termi end can. Since ive got it its now got an open clutch all the stock fixings removed for either stainless or ti, ecu has been reflashed, clutch slave cylinder upgrade. Designed my own tail tidy which I think is far better than anything else out there and also in the middle of designing a new internal mudguard for it (when its done ill post some photos).

Please to drive....one of the things I like the most....childish I know but opening it up from a low gear at a slow speed and then watching the resevoir's on the handlebars trying to shake themselves off....brilliant.

#57 ·
Can't let this thread fall off the first page, we'll never see it again.

I'm gathering up all the junk I need for the 30,000 service. Should be all the usual stuff plus brake pads, clutch pack, battery and tires. Might have break down and finally get a proper exhaust system for the old girl.

I'll let you all know if anything strange turns up. So far the Hyper has been pretty good to me, considering I beat it like a rented mule.

#62 ·
Sigh, Have noted of recent, general forum is going to the dogs.
Many moons ago (back in the air cooled HM days) all we were interested in discussing was fundamentally: "how to set up the bike to handle" & "how to extract more power".
The latest generation of quasi HM forum inhabitants define "set up" as what colour bars to fit and best way to install your mobile phone and what pretty colour bling thingy suits. S'pose they have to make sure that their new toy matches their D&G shoes and latest Alpinestars tee-shirt. :confused:
Please let this thread continue in the original spirit of sensible tech talk!! :think:

#64 ·
Sigh, Have noted of recent, general forum is going to the dogs.

Many moons ago (back in the air cooled HM days) all we were interested in discussing was fundamentally: "how to set up the bike to handle" & "how to extract more power".

The latest generation of quasi HM forum inhabitants define "set up" as what colour bars to fit and best way to install your mobile phone and what pretty colour bling thingy suits. S'pose they have to make sure that their new toy matches their D&G shoes and latest Alpinestars tee-shirt. :confused:

Please let this thread continue in the original spirit of sensible tech talk!! :think:

Exactly ....... I'm staying on this thread

#63 ·
I've been looking into getting a new rear sprocket but I'm a little confused. Every sprocket I look at seems you need to buy a new rear sprocket carrier to fit it. Does anyone know a company that sells a 43T rear sprocket that doesn't need a new carrier?

#66 ·
Member when hey THAT GUY just put in a lightened flywheel!!!
& the DP cams are not as lumpy as they should be WTF???

maybe the factory has LIMITED the availability to get more OOMPH outta the motor , and with the regulations out there and in effect more stringently , the riders are loosing the desire to bump them up a notch.

The sound workings of the water cooled engine wet clutch and DUCATI MUST be on the side of the regulators to build a "Sensible Sane" product.

When Mothers cry when their baby (Sons & or Daughters ) are injured or killed on the dreaded Motorcycles , politicians will jump on the band wagon.

Motorcycling is changing , See the SAFTEY stickers on the new bikes that SCREAM ( well maybe whisper) that this is a bike equipped with the latest safety features and warning devices , that take over when all goes to sh!t in a heartbeat, during an accident/ incident.
When Machines take control when wheel spin gets determined or brakes are taken over to control a PERCIEVED condition.

Welcome to the new world of power delivery, and who has control the rider or the regulators...

Reactions: Whitehaven
#67 ·
still here and breathing after my hyper wreck,and hell i enjoy the 08 hyper so much i built her again!...and still loving every minute of her...of course with improved 112-117 rwhp and some weight reduction...lol

Attachments

#70 ·
There must be a big bore kit with a lightened crank involved to get that kind of rwhp. That thing must do 5th gear power wheelies. :D It's not hard on the eye either nice reincarnation.
Just took mine out for a whipping just being out of shoulder surgery (1 month out of the sling) , this was the first real ride (knee replacement end of next month :mad:). This hasn't been a great riding season for me , but I would like to ad that my bike checks off all of the boxes on my list. I did manage to finish my 69 this year though and have about 300 miles on it . Pretty happy Chevy Hi Performance wants to do a feature on it .

opps sorry it's water cooled :p

#71 ·
We'll give you a pass on that water cooled beast, it is a first generation after all.

And have you noticed that when we talk about taking Hypers out it's always for a "thrashing", a "romp" a "beating" or some similar description.

I hear that it's possible to just putter down to the store, I've just never seen it done.

#83 ·
Bought my 2011 EVO SP in April with 2800 on the clock. It now reads 4100 and is has ate up 3 Michelin power cups and is halfway thru its first power slick rear.

Originally bought the bike after selling my GSXR 600 track bike and Honda CRF450 supermoto as a comfortable bike to ride with the lady on the street and maybe do the occasional track day. Now that has turned into 95% track and 5% street. I have a belly pan on the way to get it race legal and will enter it in the MCRA's GT lites class next month.

I just couldn't sell myself on spending the 15k for a 2014 SP. It looks cool and the salesman told me about how much longer the maintenance intervals were and all about the traction control and faster the 821 would be. Cool bike for sure but I just love the looks of the 1100 with its dual undertail exhaust and steel trellis frame/subframe, no rider aids and a dry clutch sealed the deal.

Being my first Italian bike I was surprised at how rough the fuel delivery was and just how "RAW" the bike feels on the street. I actually love it now. It gives the machine some character.

After an arrow full system, corse dynamics stacks, k&n's and a rexxer flash I know this BEAST will never leave my possession. The sound that emanates from the exhaust combined with an open clutch cover when idling thru the neighborhood is simply intoxicating. Cannot be reproduced, and just makes me grin when the kids playing basketball stop and stare because I remember being a little boy and seeing a motorcycle ride by thinking to myself, "one day". . . . :)

#85 ·
...I just couldn't sell myself on spending the 15k for a 2014 SP. ... no rider aids and a dry clutch sealed the deal.

... I was surprised at how rough the fuel delivery was and just how "RAW" the bike feels on the street. I actually love it now. It gives the machine some character...
.. Cannot be reproduced, and just makes me grin when the kids playing basketball stop and stare because I remember being a little boy and seeing a motorcycle ride by thinking to myself, "one day". . . . :)
Reasons to be cheerful. You've quite eloquently summed up my feelings and thoughts of why I am addicted to my Evo.