Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Official Thread: 1st Gen Air Cooled HM Chat

366K views 2K replies 261 participants last post by  JEFFRPM 
#1 ·

A chat/bs/what have you thread for anything and everything related to the original first gen air cooled HM.

See less See more
#2 ·
What a good idea. Since there is no chance at all for a separate forum, and so many of the air cooled folks have left or just stopped posting.

It could also serve as a sort of roll call to see how many followers of the one true Hyper are left.

I would suggest however that no time or effort is spent bashing that other fine machine that shares a name and nothing else with our near perfect motorcycles. :D

I'm looking forward to watching this thread and seeing where it goes.

#4 ·
My 08 was a FUN real DUCATI...
Loved it for what it was, and its less than perfect abilities made it A HYPER.
then they mess with the cases and make it lighter? Still as strong ?They say???

Want to hear some whining ? Talk about the demise of the ST's.
Now there is some Bitter owners...:rolleyes:;)

Reactions: complexCarlo
#5 ·
If I want to hear whining I can just listen to myself. I try not to be bitter. I don't manufacture motorcycles, I just try to find ones that fire up that part of my brain that says "Oh yeah, that's the stuff".

The Hyper does that. Every time. For almost 7 years now.

I've owned faster, more comfortable, way more complicated bikes, some of them I got rid of before the first tires wore out.

I had hoped that with the arrival of the 4-valve there would be piles of 2-valve Hypers laying around for fans like me to pick up for a song. Didn't happen.

The few I see for sale seem to be made of gold judging from the prices. Nevertheless it is my goal to own one of each of the 2-valve Hypers. They don't take up much room in the garage.

I'm trying to talk a friend into selling me his 796 now and I will find a '12 evo this fall when the weather closes in.

#6 ·
Getting happier and happier of choosing a 1st Gen HM

It was a tough decision!

I have been a dirt bike rider since I was six. But fell in love to a Ducati machine for the first time in 1991 when I saw an article abot the 900SS and the legendary Massimo Tamburini 750 Paso. I could not afford a Duc on those days but the love seed was already planted, and when the hypermotard made its appearance last decade, I was convinced that the perfect motorcycle was born conceived by the genius of Pierre Terblanche.

I am the kind of guy who is so involved with work and everyday stuff, that misses a lot of things that happen around. So, when I finally got enough money to buy my HM this year, it came as a surprise to me to find out at the Ducati dealer that it was not the bike I had been dreaming on: Liquid cooled, wet clutch, more power but less torque, and the worst part: Not Pierre Terblanche's design.

I read all existing reviews of both HM generations in order to make a good decision. I finally took a stand considering that 1) This is my first Ducati, 2) The bike is intended to stick with me for many years, and 3) Nobody knows what will happen in the future, so if this was going to be my "only" Ducati, it had to be a legendary model.

So I started my quest looking for a 1st gen HM with low mileage and I found one: A 2008 1100S with 10,000 miles on it and in really good shape.

The only thing missing are the mirrors-handguards and it has a non OEM lower seat with a red stripe on it. The looks of the bike are better in my opinion with the original seat.

As I have some extra bucks left, I am investing in buying the DP handguards and mirrors, the original seat and some subtle mods trying to keep it as close as possible to the original design (Example: I love those exhaust pipes beneath the seat so I wont get a 2-1 exhaust system).

What is it you love the most of the 1st gen HM?

I would also like to make a question for the more experienced 1st Gen HM owners:

How far can you go with a full tank?
I am planning a trip and there is a 200 miles section without gas stations.
Is there a risk of not making it?

#8 ·
Depending on your right hand you will get between 90 and 120 miles before the low fuel light comes on. 200 miles? no way, unless you coast half the time.

You say you have some cash left over? You need the California Cycleworks fuel tank. 6+ gallons-250-300 mile range. $900. is a lot but it beats pushing it the last 50 miles out of the desert.

Of course you can do what many of us did, strap a couple of gas cans on the back and not worry about it.

#9 ·
Two months ago I bought my first road bike a 2011 HM1100 with 2000 kms . Lke a lot of HM owners I have been riding off road since I was 6 years old and I felt uncomfortable on a road bike .The thing that drew me to the hyper was the upright riding position,dry clutch,twin exhaust and the idea that this bike is different but when I took it for a quick ride the truck loads of torque sealed the deal. I have purchased some bags and plan on using this bike to commute and travel around parts of Australia (home) on. We'll see how well that works out ?
I have no ill feelings towards the new hypers I'm just happy to see there are other first gen owners around that can offer advice and stories of their rides.
Cheers

#10 ·
It could also serve as a sort of roll call to see how many followers of the one true Hyper are left.
Good point and hopefully bring some of them back.

I would suggest however that no time or effort is spent bashing that other fine machine that shares a name and nothing else with our near perfect motorcycles.
Thanks for bringing this up early on. I agree 110%.

I had hoped that with the arrival of the 4-valve there would be piles of 2-valve Hypers laying around for fans like me to pick up for a song. Didn't happen.
Doesn't seem like it. From what I've seen and heard, the owners of these bikes are dedicated to them, understand them for what they are and have no reason to change because of it.

it is my goal to own one of each of the 2-valve Hypers.
Spoken like a true HM enthusiast! :D That is quite the goal.

when the hypermotard made its appearance last decade, I was convinced that the perfect motorcycle was born conceived by the genius of Pierre Terblanche.
I know exactly what you mean! To this day, there is not is not one particular bike out there that has lit such a burning fire inside me as the original Hyper has. I remember seeing one in the flesh for this first time at the Seattle IMS show and just feeling the adrenaline coming off it when looking at it. Don't get me started when I sat on it. I wasn't in the position at the time to own one but made it a life-long goal to. A few years later and I can now say that I've owned two!

I read all existing reviews of both HM generations in order to make a good decision. I finally took a stand considering that 1) This is my first Ducati, 2) The bike is intended to stick with me for many years, and 3) Nobody knows what will happen in the future, so if this was going to be my "only" Ducati, it had to be a legendary model.
I understand where you're coming from and without a doubt say that you made the right decision. The first gen, arguably, is more legendary as you state with the dry clutch, air cooled design, full front and rear trellis frames etc.

I am investing in buying the DP handguards and mirrors, the original seat and some subtle mods trying to keep it as close as possible to the original design
Good. When it comes to the factory mirrors/handguards, you either love them or hate them. There is no in between. For me, the foldout mirrors are one of the distinctive traits about the these bikes and without them just doesn't seem or look right.

I love those exhaust pipes beneath the seat so I wont get a 2-1 exhaust system).
Aren't they one of the neatest factory exhaust systems?! The majority of bikes these days simply come with a big old ugly factory can that is simply there to serve a purpose with no design built into it. The factory exhaust on these bikes was actually built into the design of the bike! How often do you see that on bikes these days? Not often. Sometimes I do wish I had the factory system on mine just because it does look so cool! :) Call me crazy but I'm considering making a display of mine and putting the tail section inside the house and calling it "art."

What is it you love the most of the 1st gen HM?
Good question. Well I wouldn't know where to start but I think the best way to answer it would be how it makes me feel. It gets my blood pumping like no other bike has done before.

Not much over 100 miles. You will have to get a larger tank to go that distance between stations, without a doubt.

I'm just happy to see there are other first gen owners around that can offer advice and stories of their rides.
Congrats on the new bike and hopefully before long you'll be able to share some stories of your own with the HM! :)

#16 ·
Not much over 100 miles. You will have to get a larger tank to go that distance between stations, without a doubt.

Congrats on the new bike and hopefully before long you'll be able to share some stories of your own with the HM! :)
Thank you for both the tip and good wishes!

#11 ·
I come back here every couple months hoping for a sub forum for the air cooled hypers and no luck. I haven't posted in a couple years but much like everyone else I also came from a dirt/mx background. A coworker told me about the hyper and at first I wrote it off saying something like "who wants one of those maintenance hogs" a few days later after being pushed I went and looked at them and signed the papers on the bike the next day. I bought my Hyper new in 08 right after I got my sign on bonus for my first real engineering job out of college. It was the easiest $10,000 I ever spent and still feel was my best toy purchase. I still love the bike, I keep trying to find something better but have yet to. Just looking at in the garage still makes me get excited, even 6 years later.

I recently purchased a used 07 R6 and have mainly been riding that while the hyper sat. I wanted to see what the inline 4 thing was all about and possibly do some track days. I put about 3000 miles on the r6 then took the hyper for the first time in 9 months and man what a blast. The next day I went to the dealership (about 3 weeks ago) hoping they might have a leftover aircooled SP left. No luck. I hadn't really paid attention to the liquid cooled hypers but I sat on one and it felt slimmer and newer but the soul and specialness of the bike seemed to be gone. The dealership offered me a screaming deal on the bike but I had to walk away. The R6 is now for sale and the battery tender is off the hyper.

I think in Ducati's attempt to go mainstream they are starting to really leverage their name/legacy and less let the products sell themselves. Maybe it's the Audi ownership and German way of over engineering products and removing soul. Sure the latest Ducati's are awesome but they don't feel like they have the soul bikes of 5 years ago did. You go and read all the threads about bevel drive going away (before my time) and now dry clutches and the air cooled engines. I have a feeling the last of the big bore aircooled ducati's will appreciate relatively soon and be sought after in the future. Hopefully the new Scrambler is a step in the right direction but I have a feeling it's just going to be a bike more about the look and less about components.

I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to get to keep the hyper company. Do I go 500 exc, fz07 or some kind of comfortable adventure bike.

#12 ·
Funny.....I was recently encouraged by my wife to acquire a gently used Multistrada so that we could ride together in comfort that was not possible with my Hyper. The Multi is an awesome bike and my wife loves it but I could not bear to part with the Hyper so I am keeping them both. :)

I love the big air-cooled 2V lump of an engine and the spinning dry clutch is so cool it draws a crowd where ever I go. It's strange.....the bike really has no redeeming features other than the light quick handling and the big torquey engine but it makes me smile every time I look at it. It's really inexplicable.

#14 ·
The first gen Multi and the first gen Hyper are twin sons of different mothers.

As relatively spartan as the Multi was, the Hyper is just the Multi with everything not absolutely critical to it being a motorcycle removed.

Two wheels, a motor and some place to sit. Sounds perfect to me.

#17 ·
Great idea with this thread! I bought my '08 Standard used in the spring of '09 with 1500 miles on it. I have totally coveted this bike since it's inception. The love affair between us (myself and my Italian bitch) is as strong today as it was the first time I saw her! I wouldn't dream of parting with her, as we have been through alot. In the fall of '09, I got hit by a cager. My leg and foot took the brunt of the damage, but I was completely devistated that my mistress was mistreated and scratched. In due time, we both healed, and ended up in Colorado upon roads that are tailor made for the Hyper! I guess karma isn't ALWAYS a bitch:D

#20 ·
Still riding my '08 1100S as my daily rider.
Running the CA Cycleworks 6 gal tank, removed the handguards and run CRG Arrow mirrors. DP seat and rear rack. Everything else is pretty stock.

I probably have about 25k miles on it. I had intermittant dash and odometer issues due to a poorly routed wiring harness when I installed the tank leading to odo error. My fault and it took me a while to figure it out. I had an issue with a OBD light and some "fluffy" running, high idle. After a disappointing trip to the dealer, I ponied up the money for a Centurion and did my own "code breaking". It was a oil temp sensor code which led me to finding out that Ducati, in their greater wisdom, does not show sensors as anything other than a "sensor" in the shop or parts manuals. Finally found out which it was through a friend on the Bevelheads list. It was just a dirty connector, a problem reportedly common on some Monsters.

Just recently started leaving a few drops of oil on ocassion which appears to be a cam drive seal. Got the seal, may replace it this weekend.

I've owned 2V Ducatis from all the major generations. My first was a Darmah SS bought new in 1980 and sold just a couple years ago to buy a Bimota DB2. I've also owned a 750GT to fill out the bevels. I have a 750F1 to suit the Pantah-ists. Then an ST2, GT1000 and the HM1100S. Each passing line brings a bit of sadness but generally the replacement has been just a bit better.

Can't speak to newer Ducatis but I doubt I'll be buying anything newer anyway. Ducati seems to have lost their way and none of the new bikes really stir me.

#22 · (Edited)
Can't speak to newer Ducatis but I doubt I'll be buying anything newer anyway. Ducati seems to have lost their way and none of the new bikes really stir me.
I agree with you! I couldn't find a new model Duc that stired me and decided to look for a 1st gen HM.

Despite of that, I think that Ducati is still doing a good job in improving the current product portfolio. They cannot sit still in this competitive business, so they have to improve successful product lines like the Monster, HM and SBK.

We know that improving today's portfolio is just one part of the story (the part that japanese and german companies including Ducati owners - Audi are excellent at).

The other part of the story is the one that keeps us Ducati enthusiasts in love with the brand: The disruptive "Think different" part.

Tamburini's 750 Paso, Galluzi's Monster and Terblanche's Hypermotard were disrubtive in their time. Ducati took a big risk listening at what these crazy guys were saying. It paid off sometimes because they were stirring bikes, but not always (remember the controversial 999, coming out from the same genius that brought us the HM).

I am glad that they keep taking risks and thinking ouside of the box with projects like the scrambler. Hopefully, the next stirring Ducati will come out soon.

#21 ·
It's great to see some old members posting and even better to see the new folks checking in. Hopefully word will get out that we are still talking about the 2-valves here.

I'd like to put a question to you all. Has anyone done the research to find out how many Hypers were produced 2007-2012? Someone asked me and I realized I didn't have a clue.

Thanks

#23 · (Edited)
HM selling figures

I'd like to put a question to you all. Has anyone done the research to find out how many Hypers were produced 2007-2012? Someone asked me and I realized I didn't have a clue.
Not much information out there. This link is from the UK. Its an old note prior to the 2013 HM launch:
Water-cooled Ducati Hypermotard - Motorcycle news: New bikes - Visordown

Their comments are alligned with the line of thought Ducati followed when designing the Hyperstrada.

This is just my hunch: 1st gen HM was a top seller in its first year, people were attracted to it because of the great reviews (by experienced riders), best of show award and radical looks. Sales should have come down because although it was a really fun bike for experienced riders, it was an intimidating bike for others. Too torquey, too nimble, seating position too high and close to the handlebar, brakes too strong, clutch too edgy, ... too untameable. I suppose Ducati hurried to bring out the more user friendly 796 HM because of that.

I believe that they are going to sell much more liquid cooled HMs than the air cooled versions (specially the 1100). They are powerful and easier to ride. But for the 1st gen HM enthusiasts that's a good thing. It makes us proud to have something unique and special.

#24 ·
I visit the site often but don't bother to post much as the new version takes most the space these days. No bashing the new hypers are cool I'm just old school and the air cooled dry clutch mega torque all trellis frame gets my blood boiling.

In 2008 Laguna Seca MotoGP Ducati Island had the Hypermotard display semi on hand with massive Hypers in attendance. That was it for me...game over the 08 Hypermotard 1100S was the bike for me. If you recall back then the marketing from Ducati was larger then life for the new all new hypermotard. " Believe the hype" tag line was in full force with larger then life 4 color real marketing collateral that was all Hypermotard. This was the year to see more Hypers in one place and a change in direction for Ducati was on the way. If you were their the race between Stoner and Rossi was the best will ever see in ones lifetime at Mazda Raceway.

When first released and before going into production Ducati started a blog on their home Internet page just to gage the public reaction to the bike....the Hypermotard was such a hit the volume of activity on the Ducati home site actually CRASH! Never before in history has such a machine drew so much interest from the public. The earlier drafts of the bike called for turn indicators incorporated on the fold out mirrors and a single front disc brake. This was a new concept for Ducati and they took a chance with Terblanche and the Hypermotard. They made it clear that Ducati is building sportbikes-that's it. Of course, you can build many types of sportbikes- a pure sportbike at the time, like the 1098, or a sportbike with a different attitude, like the Hypermotard. People that wanted a Hypermotard in 2007 had to be placed on a list and only selected dealerships with minimal allocations were being delivered into California. The demand was very high and you were lucky if you were one of the few on the list to have a Hypermotard in 2007.

For me the bike touches all the senses. From the moment the dust cover comes off in the garage the experience begins. Starting the bike in the garage and the light flywheel and how the bike accelerates in neutral, the crispy sound through un-baffle 2 into 1 termignoni is all about the experience before even leaving the house. Only the first Gen hyper can bring the soul from the air cooled L-twin directly to the body for me. Riding it only gets better.

#26 ·
Now riding 2nd gen hyper. Gonna admit i missed the 1st gen dryclutch and loud termis!!

2nd gen is for comfort and long distance riding with pillion

#27 · (Edited)
Excellent discussion here, keep it coming and great to see the new and recognizable names! :)

Went on a nice long, adrenaline packed, day ride today through the Santa Cruz mountains. It was fun experiencing some tight single track like one- way roads and also going through the big SBK sweepers. It feels at home in each!

Lay her through a corner, open the throttle on exit and BOOOM!! Just like a cannon explosion, You are GONE!!! As you're rocketing at out of the corners like a bullet the front wheel floats up and hovers as if it were a cloud and never before did a wheelie like this feel so natural. Pretty soon the next corner is coming up and as if the two were connected, the bike transitions over as quickly as your eyes begin to look through the corner and retains that positive line all the way through. After some built up speed going down a straight, tap the brakes for that next sharp corner and it immediately responds with a gripping and intense feel.

Okay, I think I should just be buried with this bike.

For me, the Hyper is all about releasing that built up adrenaline after a long day's hard work. I know some folks use it for touring and whatnot but for me, it's all about offering an extreme performance, look and feel in a certain demeanor that is unmatched.

This promo video is very much subject to opinion in many different lights, but for me, it has always been what the first gen Hyper is all about.

http://youtu.be/RV60dTVZG68

I bought my '08 Standard used in the spring of '09 with 1500 miles on it. I have totally coveted this bike since it's inception. The love affair between us (myself and my Italian bitch) is as strong today as it was the first time I saw her! I wouldn't dream of parting with her, as we have been through alot. In the fall of '09, I got hit by a cager. My leg and foot took the brunt of the damage, but I was completely devistated that my mistress was mistreated and scratched. In due time, we both healed, and ended up in Colorado upon roads that are tailor made for the Hyper! I guess karma isn't ALWAYS a bitch
Wow, you sure have!

Cant shake the feeling of getting on an Air Cooled DUC. BEST FEELING EVER
Nope! I've never ridden a motorcycle that ignites the passion as much as this! Thumbs up

I probably have about 25k miles on it.
Nice!

This is just my hunch: 1st gen HM was a top seller in its first year, people were attracted to it because of the great reviews (by experienced riders), best of show award and radical looks. Sales should have come down because although it was a really fun bike for experienced riders, it was an intimidating bike for others. Too torquey, too nimble, seating position too high and close to the handlebar, brakes too strong, clutch too edgy, ... too untameable. I suppose Ducati hurried to bring out the more user friendly 796 HM because of that.

I believe that they are going to sell much more liquid cooled HMs than the air cooled versions (specially the 1100). They are powerful and easier to ride. But for the 1st gen HM enthusiasts that's a good thing. It makes us proud to have something unique and special.
Ah my friend, you just described my perfect bike! :) Yes! You are totally right and I couldn't agree with you more. There is NO electronic rider mode nonsense. It is all YOU, the rider, and that's the way that it should be. Don't get it right with the big 1100 and she'll bite but guess what when you do, boy, is it ever a rewarding experience. That is a true enthusiast's machine and like you said, is not for everybody and can very well come across intimidating.

To expand even further on it, I think that is why the 1098SF was dropped. Another bike that is very appealing to me for these very same reasons and would like to own one alongside the HM one day.

I'm just old school and the air cooled dry clutch mega torque all trellis frame gets my blood boiling.
I'm right there with ya and wouldn't have it any other way!

In 2008 Laguna Seca MotoGP Ducati Island had the Hypermotard display semi on hand with massive Hypers in attendance. That was it for me...game over the 08 Hypermotard 1100S was the bike for me. If you recall back then the marketing from Ducati was larger then life for the new all new hypermotard. " Believe the hype" tag line was in full force with larger then life 4 color real marketing collateral that was all Hypermotard. This was the year to see more Hypers in one place and a change in direction for Ducati was on the way. If you were their the race between Stoner and Rossi was the best will ever see in ones lifetime at Mazda Raceway.

When first released and before going into production Ducati started a blog on their home Internet page just to gage the public reaction to the bike....the Hypermotard was such a hit the volume of activity on the Ducati home site actually CRASH! Never before in history has such a machine drew so much interest from the public. The earlier drafts of the bike called for turn indicators incorporated on the fold out mirrors and a single front disc brake. This was a new concept for Ducati and they took a chance with Terblanche and the Hypermotard. They made it clear that Ducati is building sportbikes-that's it. Of course, you can build many types of sportbikes- a pure sportbike at the time, like the 1098, or a sportbike with a different attitude, like the Hypermotard. People that wanted a Hypermotard in 2007 had to be placed on a list and only selected dealerships with minimal allocations were being delivered into California. The demand was very high and you were lucky if you were one of the few on the list to have a Hypermotard in 2007.
I do remember the extent of the promotions when it came out! I seem to remember they went over the top offering lots of demo rides, doing stunt performances from Ernie Vigil, primarily, and Nick Apex. Heck, it was even featured in two or three movies two. There was a lot of Hype (pun intended ;)) around when it first debuted more so than typical and was neat to see.

Thanks for providing all of the history too! Very interesting and I didn't know about the lists in 2007, blog on site or the crash. Great post! :)

For me the bike touches all the senses. From the moment the dust cover comes off in the garage the experience begins. Starting the bike in the garage and the light flywheel and how the bike accelerates in neutral, the crispy sound through un-baffle 2 into 1 termignoni is all about the experience before even leaving the house. Only the first Gen hyper can bring the soul from the air cooled L-twin directly to the body for me. Riding it only gets better.
Now that's the experience!! I know exactly what you mean about the sound and whole essence of what you described as I've always thought that too. With the 848 flywheel on the EVO, the revs are super quick. Combined with the exhaust and intake, it not only sounds but has the same characteristics of a race bike when you rev it up in neutral. After I got back home with the bike in the trailer today, I had to reload it back in and rode it up the ramp. I wanted to let her warm up a bit before before shutting it off so let it run a bit inside the trailer. Gave it a few revs and hearing the sound bounce off the walls made my ears bleed and sound like WSBK!

#29 ·
I did a demo ride in 2008, when the truck and trailer road show came to town. Said to myself this motorcycle has no purpose other than fun. Your just riding a set of handlebars. So, when I ran across a first year S with the original tires, I had to have it. Just got back from the West Coast Meet-up in Graeagle after doing 1600miles of FUN!