Official Thread: 1st Gen Air Cooled HM Chat - Page 147 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1461 of 1549 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2019, 11:23 pm

thanks guys, yes I was thinking that re. EVO engine. It has a bit of carbon knick knackery on it elsewhere by PO. Termi slip-ons and ECU, but only one black key, no red or code card with it, so will have to try and get it cloned for a spare. Been messing with the suspension - softened it up as our roads are pretty rough out here. I think 12.4 litres of fuel will match my arse endurance pretty well! ciao.

Grant
Oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1462 of 1549 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2019, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF750 View Post
thanks guys, yes I was thinking that re. EVO engine. It has a bit of carbon knick knackery on it elsewhere by PO. Termi slip-ons and ECU, but only one black key, no red or code card with it, so will have to try and get it cloned for a spare. Been messing with the suspension - softened it up as our roads are pretty rough out here. I think 12.4 litres of fuel will match my arse endurance pretty well! ciao.
I have an EVO SP so it is different suspension, but I will note one thing. I ride a lot of goaty roads around here, and initially found the ride quite harsh. When I actually did a full sag check, I was a bit surprised to find I needed to put maximum preload on the front and almost max on the rear, as I am not a huge guy and this is a pretty light bike. I think it is related to the fact that there is a bit more travel than on most road bikes. I ended up with all damping settings close to minimum as well, so eventually I will need to get this suspension dialled in a bit better for me. Just some food for thought.

'93 900SS | '10 HM1100EVOSP
post #1463 of 1549 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2019, 8:25 pm

thanks for the info - yes, I'm thinking similarly. On the ride home I thought it was way too stiff, and I've wound off pre-load front and back to set the sag. Also wound off damping, compression was too high, rebound about at factory settings. I haven't had a big ride since, but on a short test hop it seemed better, but I have ~60% travel used on front and 90% on the back, so may need to put some more preload back on the rear or add compression damping?? I'll do more reading, I'm more used to cars with no comp damping to play with. Question: when measuring oil level in the forks, does the 'air gap' people refer to here mean the distance from the top of the fork tube to the oil level with the sping installed and the fork fully compressed (fork cap removed so no spring load to fight)?

post #1464 of 1549 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2019, 3:07 am

I`m also trying to adjust suspension of my `09 Hypermotard 1100 but I don`t know where to start. It felt way too hard/stiff last summer but didn`t have to adjust that. Because of the winter in can only dry test in the garage and the final adjustments have to made next summer.

First I adjusted it back to factory settings and didn`t notice any difference So i adjusted all the front adjustments to as soft as possible. Still front barely moves down when i sit on it. Just like before adjustments. Rear is clearly softer (=better). Adjustments don`t make clicking sound like service manual claims, but after googling i found out, that it`s propably just a typo in the service manual. I can hear spring tension changing when adjusting the "spring preload" (the hex nut).

Previous owner had serviced the front in official service about six months earlier so there should be right amount oil etc. but of course i can`t be sure. I didn`t find any air bleeder valves and service manual doesn`t say anything about bleeding the air out so i assume there is no need for that.

Does anyone have any ideas or is the front just so hard in HM ? Also i have no idea how set the front and rear to right balance. Any advice would be nice.

post #1465 of 1549 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 10:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vklnuppi View Post
Does anyone have any ideas or is the front just so hard in HM ? Also i have no idea how set the front and rear to right balance. Any advice would be nice.
Setting it up for your weight is the best place to start.

Suspension and Springs
Austen and Vklnuppi like this.

1996 Supersport 900SS CR + 2012 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP
post #1466 of 1549 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vklnuppi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyboy View Post
Setting it up for your weight is the best place to start.

Suspension and Springs
Agreed, you can't really accomplish anything until you set sag, which will tell you if your spring rates are in the right ballpark. Lots of info online about how to do that, or usually a pretty reasonable fee to get done professionally.
Vklnuppi likes this.

'93 900SS | '10 HM1100EVOSP
post #1467 of 1549 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 2:20 pm

Don't forget there is the "Cheap front fork fix" sticky thread with plenty of chat n info about specific & ball park settings for 1st gen Hypers, mostly regarding 1100's as the 796's have very basic nasty forks :-)

Bog Standard 796 red. Now with added Traxxion spring kit! & LED lamps all round
post #1468 of 1549 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 10:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowboy View Post
Don't forget there is the "Cheap front fork fix" sticky thread with plenty of chat n info about specific & ball park settings for 1st gen Hypers, mostly regarding 1100's as the 796's have very basic nasty forks :-)
IIRC the 796 has only one fork tube which has a spring, the other is just oil damping.

I had a fork spring and oil swap on my 1100S, the difference was night and day. About a year ago I had a fork seal leak, probably from all the wheelies. Did a service and it's back to par again.

Another thing which made a big difference in handling for me was using the ride height adjuster to increase the rear ride height. It made the bike feel a lot more nimble and it would easily fall into a corner.

I think I posted my settings in the big thread about the forks, also with sag and everything.
complexCarlo likes this.
post #1469 of 1549 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 11:23 am Thread Starter
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinky View Post
IIRC the 796 has only one fork tube which has a spring, the other is just oil damping.

I had a fork spring and oil swap on my 1100S, the difference was night and day. About a year ago I had a fork seal leak, probably from all the wheelies. Did a service and it's back to par again.

Another thing which made a big difference in handling for me was using the ride height adjuster to increase the rear ride height. It made the bike feel a lot more nimble and it would easily fall into a corner.

I think I posted my settings in the big thread about the forks, also with sag and everything.
Drinky! An OG of first gen Hyper scene... where ya been man?

'10 Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP l Termignoni 2-1 Full Exhaust l Reflashed ECU l PC-5 l Custom Dyno Tune l Corse Dynamics Velocity Stacks l UNI Pod Foam Air Filters l Remote Crankcase & Idle Air K&N Filters l DP Skid Plate l 1098 SFS Clutch Cover l Corse Dynamics Oil Fill & Drain Plugs l Speedymoto Frame & Axle Sliders l DP Reservoir Covers l DP Racing Seat l Antigravity Battery l 190/55 Rear l
post #1470 of 1549 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen View Post
Drinky! An OG of first gen Hyper scene... where ya been man?
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hype...us-errors.html

2008 Hypermotard 1100S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode