Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Air cooled v water cooled

16K views 51 replies 34 participants last post by  appliance57 
#1 ·
Hi all , Just thought I,d put the cat amongst the pigeons.
After owning a 2007 hyper for a number of years numerous tyres and expense on servicing ,upgrades to nemisis ecu ,remus full system.Tried the lower tooth primary sprocket , got rid of that quick smart.
The bike has done 50k , I have run out of fuel on numerous occasions thanks to relying on poxy fuel light.Zero trip meter now when I fuel up.
To me I dont think I want a water cooled 'new one' .
It might have a bit more horse power but it also is heavier .
A slipper clutch is also something I dont want.
I bought my bike and we have a complete understanding of respect for one another. I abuse it but buy it flowers now and again.
Haha

#5 ·
Same here. Again, to each his own, but I much prefer water-cooled engines and slipper clutches; And I probably wouldn't buy a new bike that doesn't have ABS and TC. Most of the bikes I've owned in my life have had none of these things (except the water cooling), but I'll gladly take all those performance and safety goodies now. The only thing missing to me is a steering damper.

#6 ·
I loved my 1100 evo and put 12K miles on her in a year, but after owning my Hyperstrada, I'd never go back. I remember the day that thought came to me because I was going to keep both.

I do long distance riding and the seating, ABS, traction control, slipper cluth, electronic throttle, hard luggage...

It depends on what riding you're doing, but the bikes are completely different bikes when it comes down to it. Funnily, the main reasons I switched to the Hyperstrada was wanting hard luggage (strapping everything to your bike gets very old) and and even more upright position. Everything else I thought I wouldn't care about.

#8 ·
I like the brute force of the machine as a no frills animal.
Gear selection into corners no brakes using the engine braking is it for me.
Thats why i like it the way it is.
Its a raw bones bike without electronic things that tells you how to ride.

#9 ·
This is quite possibly the most ignorant complaint about the new bike used on this forum. The new bike has never told me how to ride. That's also not how traction control works. Which I've said before, can be disabled totally.

#10 ·
Hmmm ^ to each there own I enjoy the simplicity of a proven design which I can work on myself with out worry, wait till someone comes out with cams for the 821. It'll cost twice as much to have installed . For my country road riding there it no substitute for torque. Not only that but you can't show your clutch what kind of Ducati is that ( I just said that to be an ass ) haha.

#15 ·
The aircooled 1100 evo with typical mods (full 2-1 titanium exh, stacks + pods, 14t, and reflash) is an absolute animal. To me, one of the hardest bikes to ride on the "edge" knowing that opening the throttle hard in damn near any gear at any speed will give you a rush of acceleration that no other bike can match.

It will also slip out from under you in .25 seconds....in a corner....in any gear....if you are ham fisted with the throttle.

All other bikes require slamming down a few gears and revving the piss out of it to go.

Not this bike, crank the throttle open in 6th at 50mph and it roars immediately accelerating you like a rocket. IT is a RUSH!

A pure animalistic machine.

You ride and see nothing of the bike, just the open road, the gauges and bike sit under you and below your field of vision giving one of the most amazing experiences to be felt on a motorcycle.

I was very close to trading the 1100evo in on a 821 but had a small parking lot lowside which branded my bike a salvage title (2500$ exhaust and a scratch on the left engine case = total loss :mad: anyways I rode the 821 and 821sp and it felt....too much like a sportbike to me. Rev and go. But it was SO MUCH EASIER to ride!

You can rail the throttle open leaned over and the power applies smoothly; increasing until the horsepower is finally generated and you get a small rush before shifting gears.

I did not get the same feeling as the old bikes, it felt more like a spaceship, buttons and modes/gizmos I get to play with (meh).

ABS and traction control can save your life and ass, and give you confidence if they are trustworthy. It can make a lesser rider brave and a more exp rider
faster. Good things to have if you commute/ride daily.

To me after riding the 821 I kind of held off hoping for a larger cc version. Then had a lowside pulling into a parking lot, while the bike was for sale mind you (bad luck) and after a few more modifications (suspension tuning and grp damper, pilot power tires, evo battery) I am in love with this bike again! :eek:

It is a different experience, but sitting on a 821 (big nervous on the test ride) firing it up....it did not make my heart throb. No thump of the beautiful sounding vtwin, no familiar rattle of the godforsaken bucket of bolts clutch that makes me think my bike threw a rod.... No love....

#16 ·
Newer is almost always better, and Ducatis are no exception. The real question is, if what you ride now pleases you, why change?

The manufacturers improve their products constantly (well, at least the Europeans seem to). They want you to 'upgrade'. But if you are happy there's no real reason to give up your current ride.

Enjoy your air-cooled Hyper, and when (if!) it finally wears on you, there'll be something amazing waiting. Just don't wait too long, or what's waiting may be all electric :rolleyes: :)

#17 ·
Remember back when rock bands would play a ballad, to bring in revenue from the main stream? That's what I think when looking at new Hyper. Looks like every other Euro bike out there. As far as water vs. air, never had a problem with air. Runs like a Champ! Oh, and the new pipe system...what can I say? Dorky

#19 ·
Only thing this type of thread proves is - What ever bike you own is the best. If you have a 1100 its the best in the world. If you own a 821, its the best in the world. Only time you opinion will change is when you buy a new bike.

#20 ·
I think technology is great. Here is my concern though, will the technology still work well in 10 to 20 years. I've only bought 1 new bike ever. Having a large supply of lightly used, low mileage, reasonably simple designed bikes is nice.

You can pick up a 916 or 748 from 1994 and get it running well (even as a shadetree mechanic) , will that be true of these new models that have 2 or 3 different ECU's in them?

It's the way of the future, but in exchange for the latest and greatest riding older bikes will be harder or harder. A 50 year old airplane is younger than a 2 year old computer.

#21 ·
This thread sucks for a lot of reasons...
to the last poster if you think your good old air cooled bike is simple and that new water cooled bikes are too advanced you really need to consider what you might have sounded like in 1900 when they came out with these things that were too complex called cars and you could always get your horse to work by pointing it at some hay and water... wrenches gasoline bearings who needs that... hahah
Anyway im sure the new bikes are fine its just the fan boys generally are embarrassing when they brag about some of the stuff. I mean if anyone has ridden a 450 class water cooled dirtbike after riding 2sstroke or 4 stroke air cooled you have to understand how insanely awesome liquid cooled tech is.

#22 ·
Sorry i forgot the other thing i wanted to add, and the most important, i absolutely despise the fact that this engine was made for emissions reasons. Make it because people want a wider power band or more rpm or better mpg or because they just really love radiators and water pumps and cant get enough of them, not because of emissions controls

#25 ·
Amen. As cool as the new tech bikes are, it's sad to see the air cooled, 2V, dry clutch engines go away (permanently) due to regulations.

I had a Hyperstrada on loan for two weeks. I was thrilled to get my 1100evo back. It's faster, smoother, handles better, and is much more fun to ride.

#24 ·
I prefer the air-cooled version and own one. But I won't give people who own the 821 a hard time. Every one buys bikes for different reasons. Based on my demo experience on the 821...to me they are two totally different types of bikes who happen to share the same name. This may explain why the opinions are so polarised between them.

All I can say for sure is that the 821 is a tamer, but yet more powerful bike with a very different riding position, different feeling from the engine, and different overall mannerisms. I find it dull but that doesn't mean that it's inferior cos its just an opinion. Some people say air-cooled technology belongs in the age of the dinosaurs and they probably aren't wrong too. I like the way it feels though and how it makes its power over the new version. But hey, different strokes for different folks

#26 ·
Runn what you brungg.

That said, I keep trying to tell people that the bikes are totally different and try to help them in making a deciscion based on that.

Newer bikes are easier to ride hands down. But they do not feel as raw and aggressive.

They also have all the tecnho-aids that will bring some confidence in them.

The 1100 evo at 3500 rpm geared up at 30mph in a corner....if you whack the throttle open, it will slide out on you in a split second.

Think rocket engine at any rpm.

The new bikes are much much more forgiving adding TC you are golden.

When you get onto a open road, if you dont get the "jump" on an inline 4 or newer v-twin they will leave you in the dust from 60+. If you get a slight jump on those bikes you will dust them in a hurry to 110 or so. Then they will literally fly by you. Torque vs horsepower :think:

#27 ·
Jesus, some of you guys sound like the girls on the Gixxer forums. For fuck sake, ride your bikes and STFU.

Blondes vs Brunettes. Ford vs Chevy. Air cooled vs Water cooled. Get over yourselves. If you like your bike, ride it. If you don't, find something else.

Your dick isn't any bigger than the other guy because you ride what you ride. It's how you ride it. I thought this forum was going to be different than the rest... smh.

#29 ·
First gen Hyper for life. :)

#33 ·
Lol, I suppose you guys whining about some good natured "my bike is better then your bike" also think that everyone should get a trophy just for participating. No one is being "like the girls on the gixxer forum" whatever the heck that means. We can boast about our bikes being better than others without hurting feelings. The only one upset is someone trying to step in and stir up something thats not there.

1st gen for life! what what, gang sign, drop the mic

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.