How To: Install a carbon headlight fairing (or windshield) on an 821 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2014, 8:58 am Thread Starter

How To: Install a carbon headlight fairing (or windshield) on an 821

Hi guys,
Yesterday I bought a carbon headlight fairing for my Hyper 821 from my local dealer (Seacoast Ducati, Salem, NH). It didn't come with any directions, but I figured it wouldn't be too hard (and it wasn't).
These directions are essentially the same as what you'd do for a Hyperstrada windscreen install, just at the end you'd be installing a windshield instead of the fairing.

I learned after the fact that Pro Italia has the official directions here: Carbon Fairing install directions.

Anyway, there's probably still some value in the pictures and steps I took, so I figured I'd post.

Tools:
You need a 4mm allen wrench, a 3mm allen wrench, and a Torx T20 wrench. I recommend good lighting and/or a flashlight too so you can see under the dash cluster.

Time:
It took me about 40 minutes, but I went slow, took pics of everything, and mostly because I didn't have any directions, so I had to figure it out as I went along. I'd guess with this guide you could do it in 20 min. In other words, it's a 1 Corona job.

Let's get right to it
Steps:

1. Remove the 2 screws (3mm allen) from the back of the front fairing. There is one on each side of the digital dash:

2. Underneath the "beak" of the bike, there are 2 more 3mm allen screws, remove them.

3. Once you remove those first 4 screws, the front fascia lifts off. It should looks like this:

4. This exposes 2, 4mm allen screws, remove these:

Now take your T20 Torx wrench, and remove the two screws at the corners of the headlight assembly.

5. Once you remove those two screws, the headlight assembly should tilt forward and come out. The power cable will still be attached, so don't pull it out too far. The headlight assembly is held in by 2 plastic posts that sit in 2 rubber lined mounts at the bottom of the assembly. It's snug, but not hard to remove. A little wiggling seemed to help too. Here are the 2 rubber mounts that the headlight sits in:

Here's how it looks at this point:

Cont...

- Fr333zy

Current Bikes:
2013 Ducati Hypermotard 821

Former Bikes:
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1
2003 Yamaha YZF-R6 Limited
1999 Buell Lightning X1
2000 Buell Blast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2014, 9:00 am Thread Starter

6. Now, if you crouch down in front of the bike, and look under the existing plastic fairing (past those last 2, 4mm screws you removed, you'll see tucked up in there 2 hidden 3mm allen screws. THey're behind a bunch of cabling and wire shrink wrap, but you can reach them with an allen key. They are hard to see at first, but if you look at the new part you're going to be installing, you can get a sense of the direction that they're angled. Remove both of them.

Here it is from the side, with the allen key in it.

Once those two screws are removed, the existing plastic fairing finally will come off. This lets you see the holes those screws went into much better. The last 4 screws we removed (the 2 4mm ones, and then the 2 3mm ones went into the 4 brass colored holes here:

Now get your new fairing mount. You can see what it looks like next to the old one.
New on left, old on right:

7. Mount the new fairing mount on the bike, and put those 2 hidden 3mm screws back in:

8. Now, put the headlight assembly back in. Put the bottom on first, and then tilt it back into the housing. It is trickier than taking it out, so be careful with the headlight wire not getting kinked. There is a recess where it fits, so make sure that's lined up. There are 2 other things to watch. First, the rubber lining of the 2 holes where the headlight posts go are just sitting in the holes, so if you don't line it up you'll end up pushing one (or both) of them into the holes, and have to pull the headlight back off to reset the rubber part correctly. Ask me how I learned that. Also, the cable for the horn (which is in the "beak) is snaked around the right hand rubber fitting (facing the bike from the front), so make sure it doesn't get pinched. Mine from the factory had been a little pinched, so I made sure it wasn't when I reassembled it. Here's how the rubber fittings should look after the light is remounted:

9. Now reinstall the 2 4mm allen screws that hold the new fairing bracket on:

- Fr333zy

Current Bikes:

Former Bikes:
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1
1999 Buell Lightning X1
2000 Buell Blast

Last edited by Fr333zy; Apr 20th, 2014 at 9:16 am.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2014, 9:00 am Thread Starter

10. Now reinstall the 2 T20 Torx screws that hold the headlight assembly in:

11. Now you can slide the front fascia back on, and replace the 4 3mm allen screws that hold it. Remember there are 2 underneath the fender, and 2 on either side of the digital dash system.

12. Now take the 4 bushings that come with the new fairing, and put one around each screw post:

13. Last step, put the carbon fairing on, and use the 4 4mm screws to attach it. Keep in mind that there is a small flange on the thread side of each screw that is designed to fit perfectly in the holes of the fairing when fully tightened. You may have to bend or push on the fairing a little bit after you've tightened one or two of the screws in order to get the fit just right. The way you'll know you have it right is that the screw heads should fit flush smoothly against the carbon. If there's any gap it probably means that flange isn't quite centered in the hole in the fairing.

Finished product!

14. I almost forgot, they give you a cool little silver Ducati sticker to put on!

I'll update this post with a review of it, and my impressions of how it works for wind protection and anything else I notice once I get a chance to ride with it.

I love how it looks, and think that at the track this will help when I'm tucked. It also gives me an itch to buy all the other carbon goodies for the bike. Next is an exhaust, then who knows!

Thanks for listening!
-Fr333zy

- Fr333zy

Current Bikes:

Former Bikes:
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1
1999 Buell Lightning X1
2000 Buell Blast

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2014, 9:46 am

Thanks for the write up - it looks great. Cant wait to hear your review once you take it out.

God Bless Our Troops!!

2013 Hypermotard
2009 DRZ

2007 DRZ
2007 510 SMR
2005 525 EXC
2003 999R
2000 DR650
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2014, 12:58 pm

Nice job!! Thanks for taking the time for this. I anxiously await your review. I'm pretty sure I want one of these!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2014, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

No problem! I didn't get out today, but I have 2 long rides planned next weekend so I'll have an update by then for sure!

- Fr333zy

Current Bikes:

Former Bikes:
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1
1999 Buell Lightning X1
2000 Buell Blast
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2014, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

UPDATE: Riding impression
Hi guys,
I was able to get out on the bike last night for about an hour, and have to say I'm super happy with the the fairing. I did a mix of country roads 35-45, and then some highway where the flow of traffic was about 75-80, and all I can say is holy crap it makes a big difference. I can't imagine what the Strada windscreen is like.

At slower speeds 30-45 it's not super apparent there's any difference, though it is just a little less wind noise in the rider compartment. However, once I got on the highway and opened it up a bit, it was like night and day. Anyone who's ridden the 821 on highway knows that the windblast to your head, neck, chest is just relentless. An hour on the highway and your neck will be tired/sore. I rode the highway for about 15 minutes at the speeds mentioned above and it was like riding a touring bike comparatively. It blocks the worst of the buffeting, cuts the noise down, and the biggest thing I noticed was that I just didn't feel that massive pressure on my head and neck of wind pushing me so hard. I was so pleased. I was skeptical that it would do much, because it's only 3 or 4 inches higher than the stock fairing, but it makes a big difference. There is still some wind as is to be expected, but I'd say it cuts it down by 50%. Much more tolerable, and I think it would really pay off if you had an hour on the highway.
I'm 6'4" so I do stick up higher than most riders, and I found that if I crouched down a little it was even better, you could feel the air going over you. But even at my regular upright riding position, it was a big difference.

The fairing is very solid despite its light weight, and that it's not very thick (though it's carbon so it doesn't need to be). It didn't wiggle, wobble, bend, or anything despite the massive amount of air it was displacing.
This is the first mod I've done to the bike besides a RAM mount for GPS, and I have to say it's probably the best one I could have done.

I'll be taking it to the track in about 2 weeks, so I'll report back once I've hit 130-140 with it, and share my impressions on it, but I think it will pay off even more at those speeds.

If you're at all on the fence about it, I recommend getting it. It looks great, and makes highway riding 1000x better.

- Fr333zy

Current Bikes:

Former Bikes:
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1
1999 Buell Lightning X1
2000 Buell Blast
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2014, 4:37 pm

Thanks for the review it looks great
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2014, 11:39 pm

Why did you choose it over the hyperstrada windscreen? I'm considering one of these but can't decide which.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2014, 7:48 am Thread Starter

I do a lot of track riding, and felt that aesthetically the windscreen makes the bike look less sporty. To the point that I would rather deal with the wind than have a windshield. The carbon fairing to me was a compromise (that I'm happy with), it offers decent wind blocking (nowhere near as much as a windshield, but at least enough to make highway tolerable), while still looking sporty and aggressive. For me it was mostly about aesthetics as far as the 2 choices. Functionally, if I could get the looks of the carbon fairing, with the wind deflection of a windshield, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I couldn't get behind the looks of the windscreen.

If you're looking for more wind protection than the carbon fairing, but don't like the look of the windshield, I did find this:
Fabbri GEN-X Sport Screen, Ducati Hypermotard/Hyperstrada 821, PJ's Parts

No idea how well it works, but it's definitely bigger than the carbon one I have, but not as big as a windshield.

- Fr333zy

Current Bikes:

Former Bikes:
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1
1999 Buell Lightning X1
2000 Buell Blast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode