The upgrade fix >> no more charging/regulator/rectifier problems - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2010, 11:59 am

Ducati OEM REGOLATORE SHINDENGEN FH012CA 14.5V/50A (MOSFET) (54040301A) | ducati parts, ducati

Can`t find out which model it is for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2010, 12:04 pm
unM0derator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster View Post
Looks interesting. Google has very little about it. Does say Ducati Performance, so maybe it's a legit upgrade.

That would be cool.

Current pastimes: 2004 ST4s / 2010 SF 1098 S
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 3:08 am Thread Starter

Just to clarify, this MOSFET (FH012AA) is not a recommended part from Ducati. I cottoned on to it after reading many different pages and posts at various different forums (Honda, Aprillia, Triumph and others) discussing swapping out the factory or standard SCR (shunt or series) type R/R for this or another MOSFET unit.

I replaced my original R/R with this particular unit because of its specifications as it adequately met the requirements necessary for my '97 model 748 (i.e. 14.5V and 40 to 50 amps whereas the original unit output was 35 amps). At this time I shouldn't expect info will come up if you search for it as a Ducati sanctioned replacement part because as far as I know it's not.

As a bit of a head start I included links to some relevant pages for those who'd like to know a little more before deciding either way on this as an option. It's clear that Yamaha have been using the 012 for some time now and perhaps other manufacturers are also switching to MOSFET type R/Rs simply because they are a more robust technology.

As for which particular mosfet unit would be most suited to other model Ducs you'd need to check the specs for the original Ducati unit on your bike and cross reference those with the specifications for each of the Shindengen MOSFET units. I know they make several different units however I have not done the research to marry them up. Chances are though that this FH012AA unit will perhaps even better serve more recent models since it is originally designed for a three phase system, not single phase like my bike but it does the job despite this.

Perhaps later model Ducs probably don't suffer as many R/R meltdowns as this era does so replacing the stock unit may be redundant although I do recall reading somewhere I think that some of the 1000's where the R/R was mounted under the seat were prone to overheating.

Perhaps other members out there, if they do identify a suitable mosfet unit for their model, will post the info to expand the relevance of this article to other Ducati models.

SE84.... thanks for that link, it appears there's a MOSFET unit available for some model/s Ducatis, but from that page I can't identify which. Perhaps Ducati are now using them. I note the unit is a FH012CA rather than AA.

What model Duc does this unit suit?.

post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 4:23 am
Chilehead

It 50A when used on a 3-phase alternator, 1-phase it gets de-rated to 33A.

Tom

1985 LeMans
1986 LeMans w/ sidecar
1992 XV250
1998 ST2
2003 SS1000DS
2003 999R #29

www.motogiro.com

post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2010, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster View Post
Local dealer did a reverse-part-number lookup and says:
2010 Multistrada 1200

I'll leave it to someone more qualified than I am to check the specs and, well, speculate if this will fit.

'03 Monster 620 Dark: Bought it, rode the piss out of it, sold it, binned it. (Yes, in that order.) RIP
'01 748 Red: Bought it, met a girl and left San Francisco for Syracuse, now longing for Bay Area roads...
post #16 of 91 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 8:49 pm

http://www.ducatiperformance.com/duc...-p-124607.html

F sure a disturbing link,
do Ducati already uppdated to the Shingen fh012 on nerwer models or what?

Are we doing this research in vain, due to an alrady solved problem?!?!
post #17 of 91 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2010, 7:26 am Thread Starter

crozzer-
Thanks for that information. So the part number quoted at the site refers to 2010 Multistrada, I wonder if you had a chance to see a diagram of the unit. Better still maybe someone out there with that model could have a look at their stock unit and see if it has FH012CA printed on it. I know for sure the FH012AA is stamped. If so then I guess that would confirm Ducati are now installing MOSFET reg/recs on at least their Multistradas.

greenmonster-
I'm not sure why you see this as disturbing, if Ducati are now using MOSFETs it's probably a good thing. My original post of this article was as a suggested remedy for older Ducatis like mine which suffer from meltdown primarily due to inappropriately rated wire gauge and poor connectors exacerbated by insufficient air flow to help dissipate heat.

It may well be that Ducati have been using MOSFET units for some time now, I don't know. I don't even think that there were necessarily models post 1999 using SCR units which had a propensity for meltdown.

stlemans-
You bring up an interesting point, one which was mentioned to me when I was doing my research. I was getting conflicting information on this, and not be an electronics expert I put my concern about running a 3 phase R/R on a single phase alternator to an electronics forum. The word back seemed to be that it was safe. Upon that and due to time I went ahead and installed the MOSFET and it seems to be working fine so far.

If anyone can shed more light on the consequences of this de-rating it would be appreciated.
post #18 of 91 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2010, 8:59 am
Chilehead

If thew device if rated at 50A 3p, then each leg is averaging 17A.

When used to regulate 1p, only two legs are used, so it can nominally handle 34A rather than 50A.

Of course, 1p has much more ripple than 3p, so the peak currents will be higher and may stress the RR more.

But the ST2 is 420W, so 30A, and so should work fine with a 3p RR rated at 50A, but I'd be worried about using one rated for much less.

Tom

1985 LeMans
1986 LeMans w/ sidecar
1992 XV250
1998 ST2
2003 SS1000DS
2003 999R #29

www.motogiro.com

post #19 of 91 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2010, 11:14 am Thread Starter

So if I understand this correctly then the FH012AA which is rated at 50A for a 3 phase system would be fine for your 450 watt system. The '97 era 748s are 350 watt and so don't generate quite as much heat as say a 450w would. I take on board the greater ripple and therefore peak currents but since the original unit is designed for 29A-30A this unit should be o.k. at a de-rated 34A?.
post #20 of 91 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2010, 11:21 am
Chilehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropLock View Post
So if I understand this correctly then the FH012AA which is rated at 50A for a 3 phase system would be fine for your 450 watt system. The '97 era 748s are 350 watt and so don't generate quite as much heat as say a 450w would. I take on board the greater ripple and therefore peak currents but since the original unit is designed for 29A-30A this unit should be o.k. at a de-rated 34A?.
Yes, I would expect it to be fine.

Tom

1985 LeMans
1986 LeMans w/ sidecar
1992 XV250
1998 ST2
2003 SS1000DS
2003 999R #29

www.motogiro.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode