Quieter Clutches - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2009, 4:39 am

I was just using the numbers above my post for the hypothetical situation.

Does this apply to wet clutches as well? Can you use two steel plates back to back (ie friction, steel, steel, friction)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2009, 5:49 am

Experience with my 1098 dry clutch (the first I've owned with alloy basket and friction plates) suggests that 30,000 kms is about all that can be coaxed out of that plate/basket engagement point, with mainly road (and occasional track) use. After that all the plate-shuffling in the world won't make it take up nicely.
At 30,000 I fitted a set of new plates and an MPL anodised basket. The plates were a neat fit in the MPL slots, and very quiet for a while. The basket being anodised should also delay the inevitable. Now, at 9,000 kms from the clutch replacement it is still less rattly than my friend's 6,000 km bike, and working well.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 2:26 am

I've been reading this and other clutch topics for a month or 2, preparing to replace my fried clutch plates. Bike has just over 30000km on it and as far as I know, the clutch was the original. My mechanic recently said the plates were glazed and did a temporary fix (?added extra plate/s - I didn't know to ask him at the time).

On the topic of quieter clutch mods... https://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=70205 ...I found it curious that my worn out clutch seemed to sound the same as this mod describes ie. "gloriously quiet clutch when in neutral with the clutch out. However, the beloved sound with the clutch pulled in". On pulling it apart I found that there was an extra friction plate under the first two steel plates, as the mod describes. This may have been added by my mechanic - I'll ask him next time. It was an extra thick friction plate with friction material (though totally worn) on one side only - see attached pic (thick plate on the left, alongside new Barnett friction plate for comparison)

I went with a Barnett pack as a replacement but kept the thick used friction plate back on the bottom to retain the quiet clutch mod benefits, followed by 2 thick steel plates, then alternating frictions & steels. Stack height ended up about 38mm (see attached pic). To get this I left one friction plate and the curved/dished plate out. On subsequent reading I see the curved plate is meant to give a more progressive clutch action, so I am thinking of at adding it in and adjusting a bit more. SO... being the first time I've done this, I have a couple of questions...

1) the curved plate from the Barnett pack looks more warped and twisted to me than just purely 'curved' or convex (see attached pic) - is this normal? I thought plates needed replacing if they were warped, but this one is straight out of the packet.

2) Do you always need to alternate friction and drive plates? If so, how is it ok for the first two steel drive plates to be together? Can you have 2 steel drive plates together elsewhere in the stack to adjust the height?

The clutch is working fine as it is but I wondered about the "more progressive feel" thing with the curved plate so just want to check what is ok to do on that front. I love the quiet clutch mod for all the reasons listed by others, so will be sticking with that part

Thanks in advance for any input
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_0227AA 18-52-14 18-52-39.jpg
Views:	1742
Size:	738.9 KB
ID:	63576   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_0227AF 18-54-10.jpg
Views:	1048
Size:	820.4 KB
ID:	63577   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_0227AG 18-55-18.jpg
Views:	1893
Size:	813.9 KB
ID:	63578  

1995 900ss

Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine - Sir Arthur Eddington

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 3:51 am

The dry clutch rattle from my Duc is just like the olden days of dry clutch rattle on a TZ!
The louder the better!!!
Many a clutch handle heavyness is fixed by scquirting some penetrating lube, CRC- INOX, into the bottom and top of the clutch handle pivot point!
And lubing the cable propperly!

900SSie, CBX-6, RZ500 KRR, RZ500, RG500, NS400R, KR250 tandem twin, TZR, RD350 '71, KTM 560 LC4, ZX750-R. XBCoupe 351.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2010, 11:45 pm

So to be clear, a small amount of rattle is natural when you are in gear, and driving? I put an open cover on my 748 today, and noticed that it rattles underload. Its light, but certainly noticable. Clutch is not slipping, and engagement is normal.

If you put an open cover on a new dry clutched Duc, would it rattle a bit even when you were accelerating?

1998 900SS FE # 156 - Sold.
2000 748S
Still looking for that Royal Enfield Bullet......
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2012, 1:09 pm

Ill be using this write up next time i check my clutch (soon). thank you much!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2013, 1:02 pm

I am going to try this mod out later today and I have to admit that I still dont fully understand what I need to do to my clutch pack.
I have a 1999 996 biposto.
If I read correctly, this mod does not require any extra plates or new plates and is therefore free.
Can someone list the stock 996 plate order and then the 996 plate order that would be used for this mod or seen after this mod is complete?
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2013, 2:12 pm
Prolific Poster Award

96 ss900 I used Barnett aluminum clutch, installed I old friction plate at bottom of stack, did not include this in stack ht. measurement as far as I can remember. I had an alloy basket to install, but found PO had already installed one , it was in decent shape even though it had been used with steel plates, so I saved the new one. It didn't have adequate clearance in the slots for free function, anyway. Clutch works flawlessly, noise much reduced but still there when clutch lever is pulled in at a light.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Right...but you used an old plate. This isn't the same thing. This is a rearrangement of the existing plates. Anybody?
I won't tear into it at the moment be side I just feel too lost without the plate movement clarified so I know which plates move where.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2013, 6:01 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Garage
Fitted a brand new all alloy clutch to the Monster today; MPL basket, SSR hub and Newfren plates, quiet as a mouse with no audible difference if lever pulled in or not - quietest I've ever heard.

I give it 1000 miles before it rattles like a skeleton wanking on a tin roof into a tin can...

916, M900 & Guzzi LeMans II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode