VIDEO: How to Hardwire Stator to Regulator Rectifier - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By xx848xx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2018, 10:32 am Thread Starter

VIDEO: How to Hardwire Stator to Regulator Rectifier

Over the years I have read advice in a number of posts by experienced motorcycle mechanics and enthusiasts to hard-wire the stator to the regulator/rectifier when the infamous burnt-up connector and melted wire issue crops up.

A while back during my approach to 30k miles on my 848, my stator connector finally decided to give in to the heat. I'm sure my plug was dirty, but even more interesting was the fact that my stator wires had developed the oil wicking issue that so many others have experienced and written about. At first I was a little skeptical about the oil wicking issue, but I now believe it also contributed to my plug failure. I'm going to address this issue in a separate video, including a fix that I read about on one of the Aprilia forums--and that was tried successfully by a couple of members on another Ducati forum.

Excluding the oil wicking issue, when it comes to burnt and melted connectors Ducati is not alone. I have seen reports of burnt and melted stator connections on many other forums, including Aprilia, Harley-Davidson, Triumph, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and more; some reports go back many years.

Hard-wiring eliminates the connector 'hot spot,' but there are two drawbacks: 1) There's no way to test the stator and/or reg-rec unless you re-cut the wires; and 2) On my Ducati, the reg-rec has to be removed every time the alternator-side crankcase cover is removed. These are not huge obstacles: The battery has to be disconnected and the ECU has to be loosened and moved out of the way before the two bolts securing the regulator/rectifier can be accessed.

Finally, for my repair, I used sealed crimp connectors with an extra layer of heat shrink and a full wrap of silicone tape for added protection. There are many other options that would work very well for this project; Solder (for those who know how to solder properly), non-insulated butt connectors and solder (with heat shrink), and a variety of other methods.

I hope you enjoy the video, and Good Luck with your repairs!

forsythem likes this.

Charles "xx848xx"
www.youtube.com/track848

Last edited by xx848xx; Jul 4th, 2018 at 4:07 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode