Immobilizer Systems Models: All models from Model Year 2006 to Model Year 2016 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By Yorik
  • 1 Post By aero52

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2017, 7:15 am Thread Starter

Immobilizer Systems Models: All models from Model Year 2006 to Model Year 2016

Immobilizer Systems
Models: All models from Model Year 2006 to Model Year 2016

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...86368-5448.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2017, 7:31 am
Just visiting your planet.

Garage
Interesting document. What I find interesting is it doesn't tell the whole truth.

re: the IRC immobilizer system

They fail to mention that you can just have a black key cloned. No need to go through all the steps outlined to replace one or if you lose the red key.
jahjah likes this.

2005 ST3
2003 749s
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 2017, 12:13 am

some assorted notes from me:

the IRC system started in 2001 with the s4 and st4s. by 2003 all models had it (except 998s fe).

the red key is only used to code new or recode existing black keys. nothing else. do not give it to anyone for any reason except coding more black keys.

black keys can now be cloned by locksmiths.

you can turn off the immo function in the ecu software, so that the ecu will ignore the immo unit's commands (ie, don't start).

in that way you can remove the oem dash and replace it with something else on the monster or ss.

749/999, mts1000/1100 and st3/update 4s all have canbus communiction between dash and ecu, so will have some fault logged by the ecu and generally no air pressure input if you fit a non genuine dash.

any IRC equipped model oem ecu will be locked to that keyset and immo unit (in most cases, in the dash). likewise any replacement or dp ecu that has had a key coding procedure run on it will likewise be locked. as above, you can flash the ecu to turn it off.

later, non IRC models that run the 5AM ecu - 1098, 848, 1198, sf, hm1100 - have two black keys and those ecu are not locked to the original keyset and immo unit, so you can fit those oem ecu into an earlier IRC model and the ecu will function correctly. or flash them with an earlier immo active file without having to virginise or deactivate the immo in the file being flashed in.

these later model bikes can have the ecu flashed to turn off the immo function, but they still need a dash fitted to run. if the dash is not original to that bike it will show an immo fault. it will annoy you, but not affect how it works. they all have can bus communication between dash and ecu and often have some sensors in the dash talking via canbus to the ecu.

afaik, you can't turn off the m696-796-1100 immo.

Brad The Bike Boy
www.bikeboy.org

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2019, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradblack View Post
some assorted notes from me:

later, non IRC models that run the 5AM ecu - 1098, 848, 1198, sf, hm1100 - have two black keys and those ecu are not locked to the original keyset and immo unit, so you can fit those oem ecu into an earlier IRC model and the ecu will function correctly. or flash them with an earlier immo active file without having to virginise or deactivate the immo in the file being flashed in.
(+1) I have run more than one Hypermotard 1100 ECU on My 06 Sport Classic with Zero issues
after flashing the proper Software on them. As far as I was able to find in my research prior
to doing this was as long as the Hardware version of the ECU is the same between the 2 bikes
you can flash them for either bike w/o any issues. For those of you who ask why would I do this
I can find used Hypermotard ECU's for less than 1/2 the price of a Sport Classic ECU usually.

2008 Hypermotard 1100S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode