ECU and Gauge Pin out - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2015, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

ECU and Gauge Pin out

I thought this was a important factoid worthy of mention that I figured out while working on a current project. I've mapped the pin locations and wire colors for a few bikes so far and put them in an Exel spreadsheet. Feel free to download and use this info for whatever you need but always double check your bike before making any dangerous modifications. I've spent a lot of time researching these but there could always be a mistake. Although, I'm pretty sure they're spot on from looking at the wiring diagrams.

The first page is ECU pin functions for the 1098, Sport 1000s, and Multistrada 1000ds. The second page is gauge pins for the 1098 and Sport 1000s. These may apply to other models also but these are the ones I researched so I know they apply to these. I may add more in the future and anyone else that has knowledge of other models please join in. I couldn't upload the .xls file so here's a link to it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jo0ltp7oc6...iring.xls?dl=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2015, 2:07 pm

Here's a list I created for a (2006) SC1000 vs 996R vs 998FE vs (2004) S4R.

Generally pins have similar functions across models, but are re-purposed in such a way that it won't cause electrical damage if swapped. However, they may not run because of air sensor/other things. Generally you can't trust the labeling in the Ducati wiring diagrams because their pin label names are from cars.

(i.e. in older models, the starter is mechanically actuated: +12v from a handlebar switch / grounded by the sidestand such that the starter only operates with the sidestand down. But in newer models, the starter is electronically actuated by the ECU: neutral/sidestand is detected by the ECU using floating-ground pins, and the starter solenoid is driven by a switched ground from the ECU "O2 heater" line.)

I've attached your XLS as a ZIP along with mine to forestall Link Rot.

Can I have permission to upload your document on an open Google Doc so other people can add to it?
Also, it might be important to note ECU model type. 59M may not have a lambda control circuit, 5AM have two.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 996R_vs_S4R_vs_998FE_vs_SC1000.zip (7.5 KB, 472 views)
File Type: zip Ducati Wiring.zip (6.0 KB, 543 views)

Last edited by Impulsive_Duc; Jan 12th, 2015 at 3:24 pm.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2015, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks ID. I realized the names couldn't be trusted so I made sure to trace each wire on the diagram back to it's source. Hopefully the diagrams match the bikes Ducati actually puts out. Feel free to put the list wherever you think it would be most useful. Do you happen to know if bikes like the Sport Classic that don't have a Canbus line running to the gauge still have that Canbus output active on the ECU pin like the Multistrada or 1098 does?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2015, 11:50 am

This may also be useful.

848 v 999 engine | Ducati Forum

I'm kinda waiting for a cheap 848/1098/1198 cluster to pop up on eBay to play with.

Either way, you've given me an idea for another project.

03 749 (Track) - 03 Tuono (Street)
Online Part Catalog with Cross-reference for Ducatis
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDirectiv View Post
Do you happen to know if bikes like the Sport Classic that don't have a Canbus line running to the gauge still have that Canbus output active on the ECU pin like the Multistrada or 1098 does?
Some do some don't. You'd have to confer with an expert like TomTom or bradblack to know for sure, I don't own the Superbikes so can't experiment. All I can go by is the tech specs and hearsay. Sometimes it may have CANbus enabled on the ECU but no wires connected to it. So you need a new harness. The Superbike forum as the relevant posts.

About the 749 vs 1098, the ECU part makes sense. The stepper motor can be disabled in firmware. The more interesting part is the dash is absolutely not electrically compatible. Not even close. You can get new connectors from Corsa Technic, but wiring may be a pain.

I have an idea. It is possible to buy a female and male dash connector and create an intermediate "adapter" to make the old dash work on a new bike. You'd need to add in the CAN wires (that are completely missing), but it is completely possible.

I am actually trying to get California Cycleworks to make such an "intercept cable", but I haven't heard back from them regarding the idea. (I already make such an "intercept cable" for the TPS sensor to read analog voltage without cutting into the harness -- thanks to Chris for parts.) Probably too specialty/too much labor. But a perfect project for someone with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2015, 11:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I have an idea. It is possible to buy a female and male dash connector and create an intermediate "adapter" to make the old dash work on a new bike. You'd need to add in the CAN wires (that are completely missing), but it is completely possible.
Already there. 1098 Gauge going on a Sport Classic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3805.JPG
Views:	3370
Size:	631.7 KB
ID:	494738  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2015, 12:29 am

I was poking around with CAN packets the other day. Are you certain the messages on CANbus are compatible across the models?
I know for a fact Ducati packets are highly nonstandard. Even if they are based on the same KWP2000 protocol on CANbus transport layer the message PID masks may be different.

In other words, even if you get the dash wired correctly, the messages may be different. The dash simply won't "see" the RPM/etc from the ECU.
Also, messages that are missing (EXVL, DTC, ABS) may cause further blinking lights on the dash. You might have to wire in an Arduino with CANbus shield to "fake" those "All OK" packets.

Would you consider sharing pictures/video/list of what works and doesn't work dash when you get it?

PS: You need to virginize the ECU and have the code card that comes with the dash to program in new keys and keep the immobilizer. (If it works at all.)
As of yet I can virginize the ECU, do not know how to clear/retrieve the dash's pairing record.
1098's use a code card, others used a red key/black key. If you don't have that code card, the Dash may throw a fit trying to program your existing SportClassic keys.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2015, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

I'm not certain about anything at this point. It's all uncharted territory for me but I should have a better idea of things working this week. I'll definitely share whatever I find out. If the Sport Classic ECU doesn't work then I have a Multistrada ECU that I know has the CAN ouput. Same 1000DS motor so I'm assuming the fueling will be similar. If none of that works then what is the possibility of putting my fueling and ignition on a 1098 ECU? That way we know the CAN signal is right for sure.

As for keys and immobilizer, nope don't need 'em. Going with a bluetooth system that senses an Iphone in the riders pocket to unlock the ignition. More bugs still to work out though. Should be fun.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2017, 6:26 pm

How does one open the ecu plug to gain access to the pins?

How are the pins removed without damage?

Steve

2002 ST4s, Carrozzeria, Traxxion Dynamics, AL FW,
2003 ST4$ in second fastest color, Red !!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2017, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDirectiv View Post
If the Sport Classic ECU doesn't work then I have a Multistrada ECU that I know has the CAN ouput. Same 1000DS motor so I'm assuming the fueling will be similar.
Folks (like ImpulsiveDuc) will call me careless for agreeing with you on the fueling. But I do. Over the years, I have decided that until properly tuned to be leaner, most Ducatis really don't care how much fuel they get -- and if the engines are the same displacement and family, the maps will probably work.

There are gotchyas though:
» Closely critique the pin outs of the ecus involved. Even if the same type of ECU, Ducati aren't afraid to swap pins around at will.
» If the motorcycle model has different features, make double and triple sure on the pinouts.
» I didn't read back enough; what's your plan for the immobilizer?
» Pay attention to the bikes' differences in the ignition. A "dual spark" likely will have different timing from a 1000 or 1100 with single spark plug.

I go to Ducati.com to get their parts catalogs on PDF but getting the wiring diagrams hasn't been straightforward in my experience.

Chris

Chris Kelley - CA Cycleworks
ca-cycleworks.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode