Replacing a broken shift fork return spring - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

Replacing a broken shift fork return spring

So my air cooled 1100s Multi got stuck in second gear. Here is what I found and how I'm fixing it. Please chime in if you know more than me!

After getting back home I dropped the oil, here is what I found.

The magnet for the speed sensor caught part of the spring, and the magnet for the oil drain caught another part, and the rest was stuck on the generator magnet. Surprisingly nothing was in the pick up screen!

So drop the filter, oil, and leave a large oil pan under the bike because there is still oil that will leak from the side case cover when you open it.

It will take a special tool shown over the inspection hole that will pull the cover breaking the three bond seal around the perimeter.

Remove the shift lever, and all the screws around the generator cover.
I numbered them because some are longer than others.

I ordered another o ring for the speed sensor, and while I was at it I got a bunch of crush washers and believe it or not all the parts including this spring were in stock at ProItalia (Thanks JoJo!!)

This is a pic of what u see when you open the side cover

When I was able to get the side cover off, I tied it in two locations to support it to avoid removing the yellow wires and the magnet assembly.

I then removed the flywheel with an air impact socket. I had placed the bike in third gear so everything on the engine would not move.

It goes without saying that I'm inspecting every part as it's exposed. I found a few spots that got whammies from the spring bouncing around, those were filed, sanded, and polished.
This is the flywheel and the starter clutch

I did not remove the starter clutch, but rather rotated it to inspect it.

Although a bit blurry, this is what it looks like with the shift lever assembly still on, I removed the two bolts on the bottom and it slips right out.

Above is the assembly.

Everything is removed, I inspected the needle bearings, and cleaned all the three bond off both mating surfaces.

12 1200s PP Multistrada, 08 1100s Multistrada, 03 1000ds Multistrada
636 Track Bike.
86 1100 VT Honda Magna, 10 Aprilia Mana 850, 02 SV650, 08 Stallion 2400cc trike, 95 900 Monster, 84 VT500 Ascot ( all sold )

Last edited by mattel; Aug 22nd, 2014 at 8:25 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode