MTS 1200 airbox modification for "free" hp and torque - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 4:04 pm

This map is fake.

The MTS doesn't make over 100ft/lbs of torque.

And if that isn't the scale on the map the torque and horsepower lines should cross at 5400rpm.

Will the real slim shady please stand up?

:: Chris Burgess ::
http://www.burgiracing.com

WMRRA
OMRRA
WERA

Race bikes...2003 SV650 SBK & 2012 Triumph 675R
Street bike...2012 Multistrada 1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 5:19 pm
Sophomore Member

Mr. Sunshine:

The graph has mixed units. The power is hp and the torque is N-m.

Thomas Williams
2018 Multistrada PP, 2012 Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP, 1995 900SS/SP
post #23 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
Mr. Sunshine:

The graph has mixed units. The power is hp and the torque is N-m.
At 116N-m of torque that would be ~85 ft/lbs. That is still 7-8 ft/lbs more than the highest Multistrada dyno chart. Considering that's the OEM value something is way off.

Also why doesn't the torque and horsepower charts cross at 5400rpm? Horsepower is simply a function of torque over time...it should cross.

:: Chris Burgess ::
http://www.burgiracing.com

WMRRA
OMRRA
WERA

Race bikes...2003 SV650 SBK & 2012 Triumph 675R
Street bike...2012 Multistrada 1200S

post #24 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 5:54 pm
Sophomore Member

The lines are not going to intersect at 5252 rpm with mixed units. The torque at 5250 rpm is ~109 N-m. This is about 80 ft-lb. The power at 5250 rpm is 80 hp. It all works out just fine.

I'm not saying it is real, but I also have no reason to believe it is fake.

On a side note, here is an explanation as to why hp and ft-lb intersect at 5252 rpm:

1 hp is defined as 33000 ft-lb/min
power = torque X 2pi X rotational speed
power = (ft-lb X 2pi X rpm)*(hp/33000 ft-lb/min)
2pi/33000=5252
power in hp = (torque in ft-lb X rotational speed in rpm) / 5252
When the rotational speed hits 5252, your torque and power intersect when units are hp and ft-lb.

Hope this helps.

Thomas Williams
post #25 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Ok..

To start, I am new to my MTS1200. So please excuse my ignorance. More of that later.

Second.. I am not new to bikes (20+ years of street bikes), racing, or road tuning and dyno tuning my bikes.

Third, I started a similar air box mod for my 07 FJR1300 about 5 years ago. It added substantial "free HP" to the FJR's. although, it did stir up plenty of Nay sayers on the FJRforum (Even a young lad who did my mod improperly and tried to blame me....dipsh*t). Until dyno results were posted. Also, I pioneered a air box opening mod on the Victory M/C sites (TheVMC & TheVog) for my 2010 Cross Country / Crossroads. Also, heard some nay sayers there too.. BUT was quickly adopted by most after the dyno results were posted. SO I WHOLE HEARTEDLY APPLAUD THIS EFFORT! GOOD WORK AND THANKS FOR SHARING!!

Fourth, What I am getting at.. Letting in more air is always worth it. So long as the bike can utilize it(which the MTS1200 obviously can). This along with less exhaust restrictions and the right amount of fuel added. Both my previous FJR and my current Victory Cross Country had traditional air box's. No ram air systems. They benefited greatly. All across the RPM range.

Finally, Does our MTS1200's have a true ram air system? If not, I am all over this mod. IF SO... I am not going to be a nay sayer BUT the benefits stationary on a dyno might be negated by losing the pressurized air box at speed.. BUT.. IT MIGHT NOT. Remember, a dyno test result will never duplicate the benefits of a pressurized air box. If our MTS1200 do have a true ram air system.. The only way to know would be to take two (say stock) bikes and chop one air box (dyno shows even chopping it without mods adds power). Run them side by side at speed.. Say a Fourth gear roll on.... See if the chopped bike falls flat on its face at speed compared to the intact air box.

Another concern for a chopped air box on a MTS1200 would be to not do any water crossings with it if you were to be "off roading."

Sorry for the rant.. Thinking out loud with my fingers.
Webby

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell.
"The United States of America: Land of the free because of the brave."-Thank a Veteran everyday.
post #26 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 7:59 am Thread Starter
Supermoderator - I´m special!

Garage
Mr Sunhine.
Ill ask tom to post a graph with hp/ftlbs. The graph i put up is for hp-Nm which we use here in europe. But rest assured that tom and myself have little intrest in promoting a mod that isnt prooven to work.

Webby
The mts doesnt have a sealed intake like th zx kawis.. The intakechannel is slipped onto the intake snout on the airbox, so i would seriosly doubt any overpressure.

But anyone can prove me wrong! Should be easy..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

2010 Multistrada 1200s - engine mapped by tomtom, Öhlins mechatronics SCU and alot of mods to make up for poor skills
post #27 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 8:48 am

Amullo.
Has this modification affect fuel consumtion in any way? I think these bikes are a little bit thirsty (compared to my old ST4 any way..)

2010 Multistrada 1200S Touring, red
1999 ST4 (sold)
post #28 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 9:26 am
Senior Narcissista

Garage
Can the ignorant please sit down?

Webby
There is no ram air on the multi. Crossing water, the holes are equally high up as they were.

Jens
Fuel consuption should be less than 0.60 litres per 10km, mixed riding.
post #29 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 9:49 am Thread Starter
Supermoderator - I´m special!

Garage
My consumption went down by ~10% or so. From 6.5L/100km to roughly 5.9-6L/100km (meassured, not what the ecu says).
Cant say if it was the mod or the mapping. Im guessing both.

A note:
This "how too" thread was posted because several people where intrested in the mod from my old mapped thread. Its proven and your welcome to use it. But please understand that i put this up on request and i wanted to share.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

2010 Multistrada 1200s - engine mapped by tomtom, Öhlins mechatronics SCU and alot of mods to make up for poor skills
post #30 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Sophomore Member

I appreciate the how to guide. I'm undecided on whether I want to do the mod. Regardless, I appreciate all of the info and providing the option.

Thomas Williams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in