MTS 1200 airbox modification for "free" hp and torque - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2012, 3:42 am

I'd be interested in the ram air effect as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2012, 3:53 am

Garage
I can't quite visualise where the holes are relative to the airbox as a whole, but I would presume the ram-air effect still applied. After all, it's the entire airbox that's pressurised. You would only lose that effect if there was a hole cut somewhere in the airbox itself, allowing the pressure to drop.

2010 Multistrada 1200SS White
2009 Suzuki GSX-R750 Black
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2012, 4:26 am Thread Starter
Supermoderator - I´m special!

Garage
The airbox itself is cut open, so any ram-air effect is lost.
The intake snout is cut between the airbox and intake channel. Think of it as being inside the fairings by your right knee when riding
The hole in the airbox (left side) is done from within the airbox. Think of it as being inside your left knee when riding.

Now.. The ram air effect on the MTS as a whole would be intresting to see. If anyone would be able to give me a clue on what the increase in pressure actually is on a stock bike, then Id say the effect would be quantifiable. I am GUESSING that the effect is next to zero.. I would be very amazed if the effect of ramair would be able to increase power and torque across the range as the above mod has done (which actually is proven on a dyno).

Will ramair on the MTS increase power with 4.5hp and 4.1ft/lbs (6nm indicated on dyno)?
Across the entire revrange? Not speed dependent?

You can check this out if you like..
TESTS
Conclusion: Up to 120 mph when the boost hits 20mb, we're only talking about the odd bhp. On a ZX-9R.. Those have doulble intakes and are made to be tight. The MTS´s intake isnt.

But I´m open to other peoples experience, just as long as its relevant to real world usage. I dont ride over 100mph all that often, so..

2010 Multistrada 1200s - engine mapped by tomtom, Öhlins mechatronics SCU and alot of mods to make up for poor skills

post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2012, 5:58 am

Garage
The absolute maximum delta p is 0.5 * 1.225 * v ^ 2 (v in m/s),
so, for 100mph (about 45 m/s), delta p is 1224 pascal, which is about 0.17psi
or about 1.2% (standard conditions: sea level and 15 degrees celcius).

With reduced efficiency, the pressure increase would be less.

2010 Multistrada 1200SS White
2009 Suzuki GSX-R750 Black
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2012, 8:26 am Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry.. I missed the point..
The above info was from the report.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

2010 Multistrada 1200s - engine mapped by tomtom, Öhlins mechatronics SCU and alot of mods to make up for poor skills
post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2012, 8:47 am

From all that I've read the ram air effect isn't really relevant till your over 100 mph as amullo said. I know when I had my ZX14 a lot of people on the forums worked at making the setup more efficient, from the factory they had small leaks and weren't sealed as good as they could have been. A guy who had a dyno at his shop found this out when he started building a turbo unit for a customer.

For my day to day riding making it over the ton mark is a rare occasion (once a week maybe). But on my weekend rides and road trips ..
That being said it's never for any serious length of time.

The only thing I noticed on my ram air bikes as opposed to my non's was that the bike does seem to breath better and pull/rev easier as the mph rise.

On this bike I don't see myself being in that scenario very often if at all. I will however miss that top end rush of the 14 though for sure.

2013 Ducati Multistrada S
2001 RC51
post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2012, 11:05 am

BR...I'm right there with ya!! I loved that top end rush from my ZX-14. But oh damn did you need to have a sixth sense on where the gendarme were hiding!! You could lose your license in an instant at the speeds it was so easily capable of

'08 Hyper S - pimped out!!
'12 Aprilia Tuono V4 - sold
'11 Husky 630 SMS - sold
'11 Multistrada S Touring
'08 Buell 1125r - sold
'07 Kawi ZX-14 - sold
'00 CBR-XX - rip
'98 VFR800 - sold
post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Would a sport filter (KN) not do the same? Will let more air through.

==================================================
Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring - 2010 - RED
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa - Sold
Suzuki GSXF600 - Sold
post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 3:07 pm Thread Starter

Garage
As I understood it, its not the actual extra area (hole) for flow that makes the big diffrence, its the resonance of the enclosed airbox that changes to the positive when making this mod.
I think Tom has run a couple of bikes without airfilter to see what it does and the gain is marginal afaik. But he did advice me to buy a MWR airfilter. Havent done it yet, but its on my winterlist

post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 3:09 pm

Hmmm, interesting.
I expect this will increase induction noise substantially which should make a MTS with an after market pipe and this mod sound glorious on the throttle.

I've done this kind of mod to two bikes in the past:

Yamaha XJR1300 which gained nearly 30HP with air inlets opened on one side and added on the other. On this bike we were able to fit a couple of short venturi/bellmouth. With the odd shape of the cut you've made, a venturi/bellmouth would be hard to fit. The big gain on this bike was because Yamaha had crippled the bike to meet Euro regs on power. It only had 95HP when standard and 127 after the work which included better manifold rubbers.

KTM690smc which gained around 10HP (cut the airbox off just in front of the MAS and added a huge pod filter). Both gained good power mid-range and both bikes returned BETTER fuel economy afterwards (at cruising speeds).

With the Bazazz fueller and self mapper fitted; this should be a doddle to do.

when i was young i wanted to grow up and be vigorous and exciting for the rest of my life.............................................. .....................
unfortunately i grew up to be an overweight balding semi crippled old fart with a high opinion of myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode