Commuting and Touring gear recommendations? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

Commuting and Touring gear recommendations?

I've been rocking a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3-in-1 jacket for the past 6 years and as many bikes (on a Multistrada currently). It's handled weekly commuting duty and multiple 1,000 mile weekends. I've always liked the flexibility it has provided with the mesh jacket portion containing the armor and usable all summer in the coastal Virginia environment but also has the water proof shell which I'd use in the rain and then all winter as a wind shell. Stayed pretty warm all winter with just adding a thin down under layer jacket. It's showing signs of much wear - time to look for a new jacket. I want something a little higher end with some additional protection than the JR offers so I'm on the hunt from other mfg's.

Everything I'm finding on Revzilla doesn't have a similar multi season approach as the joe rocket with the mesh jacket containing the armor but then being able to put a shell on to keep the inner jacket dry. Most of the jackets I've been looking at either are mesh with a wind/ rain liner you zip inside the mesh if needed - seems like a poor idea because then your whole jacket is soaked? The jackets with a shell don't have a mesh inner jacket containing the armor so it seems like it'd work poorly in the summer as all they have is some big zipper vents.

What are y'all rocking for true multi-season wear with the emphasis on staying cool in the summer?

2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200
2002 Ducati ST4S - Stealth Grey!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 1:02 pm

I had the same Joe jacket for several years but wasn't really comfortable with the armor protection and wanted a combo for being able to zip my jacket into my pants. I ended up with Dainese pants (textile with great armor and a zip mesh flap above the knee) and two Dainese jackets. For summer I got on sale a Ducati Corse Summer Mesh jacket which is made by Dainese. Great protection and great air flow. and then a perfororated leather Dainese jacket for cooler weather. Both jackets retailed for something like $500 but I found them on sale over time for less than $300.

As you mentioned, I couldn't find the combination of the Joe R. Even the dainese mesh jacket that I have has a lousy rain/wind shell. I don't typically ride when its raining so that wasn't a big deal for me. The upgraded protection of the armor and jacket zipping into the pants makes my commute feel much safer though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Garage
I've got the Rev'It Sand 3... it's comfortable during the summer (no mesh but a lot of zips including down most of the arm) except for the very hottest days and has a liner for cold weather. I'd call it 3 season. I paired the jacket with the Rev'It Tornado 2 pants which breath like a mofo but have the drawback of an integrated thermal/waterproof liner (I'd have much rather seen a separate waterproof liner). I'd call it a 2.5 season pant (not suitable for very cold weather) with the caveat that in warm weather you need a separate waterproof overpant.

The stock shoulder, elbow and knee armor is solid (CE L2) and I bought the L2 back unit (cost an extra $50).

Cost about $1k after tax.

15 Multistrada S Touring/Urban/Enduro, 04 Tiger 955i, 86 MaximX 750 (son), 13 Ural (wife)

"Go soothingly on the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 1:43 pm Thread Starter

I was entertaining the Sand 3, just on the fence about summertime breath-ability. Pants-wise I have Rev'It Airwave 2's for summer and Factor 3 for fall/winter/spring. That combo works well as I never expect to have a summer pant perform well in the winter and vice versa. But have gotten pretty used to a jacket that performs just as well in the summer as it does in the winter thanks to layering...

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 7:31 pm
Administrator

Garage
Not sure you would be into it but Klim has a new 1 piece suit that would be good for commuting:
https://www.klim.com/Hardanger-One-P...tity=1&color=9

Scott
Sacramento CA

'03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW R1250GSA
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDuc View Post
What are y'all rocking for true multi-season wear with the emphasis on staying cool in the summer?
Honestly, I'm not rocking anything of the sort. Just my personal experience, but nothing I've ever found that was billed as 'multi-season' worked well. It was so-so for everything but not great for any single situation.

Because of that, I simply bought gear for different occasions. I actually have rain gear....but don't ride in the rain unless I get caught out in it....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2019, 8:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Not sure you would be into it but Klim has a new 1 piece suit that would be good for commuting:
https://www.klim.com/Hardanger-One-P...tity=1&color=9
I've been contemplating the benefits of a one-piece suit. My brother gave me a pretty beefy scorpion one this past year and I rocked it most of the cold days this winter. Much warmer than 2 separate pieces. It is crazy hi-viz though, great on the bike, not quite as subtle at a restaurant or the grocery store. It's way to heavy for swampy Virginia summer riding though.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2019, 8:26 am

https://www.vikingcycle.com/collecti...jacket-for-men

This jacket is amazing for the price. The quality is every bit as good as the Joe Rocket jacket that I have.

Bought mine on sale from Total Niches for $65 shipped. I think it has 11 pockets? Armor is good, fits nice and again, it's well made regardless of price.

Even at $80 its a deal. Probably worth twice that. They have online videos, too if you search.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDuc View Post
I want something a little higher end with some additional protection than the JR offers so I'm on the hunt from other mfg's.

Everything I'm finding on Revzilla doesn't have a similar multi season approach as the joe rocket with the mesh jacket containing the armor but then being able to put a shell on to keep the inner jacket dry. Most of the jackets I've been looking at either are mesh with a wind/ rain liner you zip inside the mesh if needed - seems like a poor idea because then your whole jacket is soaked? The jackets with a shell don't have a mesh inner jacket containing the armor so it seems like it'd work poorly in the summer as all they have is some big zipper vents.
What are you looking for in the way of additional protection? Most decent jackets I've seen offer similar protection with CE-rated elbow/shoulder pads and spine protector. I assume leather is out due to heat?

I've been wearing an Olympia Airglide for a number of years and like it a lot. Similar to what you have currently, but zip-in liner under the mesh. Really not a problem for me as the mesh allows it to dry quickly in the wind once out of the rain. Of course the external mesh chest pockets become pretty useless when it rains.

I'm interested in what you settle on because I'm in the same boat.

'13 MTS GT / '99 ST2
'07 Monster 695 - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode