WSBK Ducati. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 1:31 am Thread Starter

WSBK Ducati.

Not much talk here about Bautista’s devastating and brutal dominance in WSBK. He’s like mm and just playing with everyone. Arguably would have been better to have given him the second Ducati motogp seat. If Our Jack doesn’t get it next year I can see him going to WSBK. Him or Petrucci.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 4:18 am

Assen was supposed to be the track that bought Alvaro back to the pack and Rea thought to be an odds on winner.
Alvaro did have luck with the red flag in Superpole.
He just ground out two more wins, race 2 giving him some racing practice until he cleared out.

I think Ducati will want to keep him in SBK, the other three Ducatis are not doing much.
Does he have a 1 or 2 year contract?
If its a 2 year contract he'll be free when a lot of riders in Motogp are off contract.
Aprilia and KTM will be looking and if Lorenzo doesn't improve I'm tipping Bautista for Repsol Honda 2021-22.
You heard it here first
Full_Spectrum likes this.

2012 1200S
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 7:04 am Thread Starter

cant see him going back to motogp. they need a new sbk hero. they havent had one for ages.
egomexico likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 11:35 am

I think he will have offers from MotoGP teams, but will they be competitive teams? There is the option of a wild card, which Ducati tends to run at Mugello.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 12:42 pm

Garage
Ducati has been dying to be on top in WSBK ever since the 1198 went out and the stiff “framed” Panigale came in which never saw a championship in its 2-cyl configuration. If the V4 continues to work in the hands of AB it will continue to drive the demand for the new Panigale like it is now. It’s not only winning comparison tests in the moto rags but it’s winning on track.

2004 Ducati ST4s ABS “Senna”
2002 Yamaha FZ1
1998 Ducati ST2 apocalypse edition

2004 ST4s ABS 'Senna', '98 ST2 apocalypse edition
2002 Yamaha FZ1 w/138k+ mi
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 1:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma View Post
Assen was supposed to be the track that bought Alvaro back to the pack and Rea thought to be an odds on winner.
Alvaro did have luck with the red flag in Superpole.
He just ground out two more wins, race 2 giving him some racing practice until he cleared out.

I think Ducati will want to keep him in SBK, the other three Ducatis are not doing much.
Does he have a 1 or 2 year contract?
If its a 2 year contract he'll be free when a lot of riders in Motogp are off contract.
Aprilia and KTM will be looking and if Lorenzo doesn't improve I'm tipping Bautista for Repsol Honda 2021-22.
You heard it here first
I'd bet money (not a lot) that Alvaro will stay in WSBK until he retires. He had plenty of chances in MotoGP, including with Ducati last year. For whatever reason, he was never able to come to terms with being fast over the course of a season- or, even over the course of a race. He spent his entire MotoGP career without a win, and only 3 podiums. And, he did have plenty of chances with a few different factories, having ridden for Suzuki, Honda, Aprilia, and Ducati.

I'd also guess that he is finally getting a real paycheck, as opposed to whatever else he had going on in prior years. He also just had a child last year, and will likely try to make good money while he is able. I think it would be a good thing for everyone if he stays in WSBK.

1. He makes good money
2. He has a competitive ride for the rest of his career
3. He elevates the game of the rest of the WSBK riders
4. He becomes a SBK legend- assuming he continues to beat up the field
5. He isnt getting any younger

The MotoGP stovepipe is very full with new riders, waiting their chance at the big leagues. I'd be surprised if they went back to Alvaro for anything other than a one-off ride from here on.
Harvey likes this.

Last edited by Full_Spectrum; Today at 4:05 pm.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 2:39 pm

Have a look at world supersport also, WSS, great racing! (but no Ducati)

Present: Ducati SBK 848 -08 and Honda CRF250RX -13
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 3:18 pm

Gigi really likes Bautista, and there was a point last season where a lot of people had him as the 2nd best Ducati rider in the GP paddock (right behind Dovi). Ducati has 6 bikes, but only Dovi, Bagnaia, and Abraham have contracts for 2020, so there could be an opening, maybe even on a GP20.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 3:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlien View Post
Gigi really likes Bautista, and there was a point last season where a lot of people had him as the 2nd best Ducati rider in the GP paddock (right behind Dovi). Ducati has 6 bikes, but only Dovi, Bagnaia, and Abraham have contracts for 2020, so there could be an opening, maybe even on a GP20.
There was no one in the GP paddock last year who felt that Alvaro was the best candidate for a works Ducati, nor did any of those people think that Alvaro was the 2nd best Ducati rider in the paddock.

Really. Most of the paddock were stunned that he was able to finish 4th at PI, but as most will say, PI is rather peculiar and often times gives us interesting and unexpected results.

Also, Alvaro will be 35 next year. It would be quite odd for a 35 year old guy, who over an 8 year career never managed a win and only 3 podiums, to get a factory Ducati GP20, instead of Jack Miller, or any of the other young guys.
It might be plausible that Alvaro goes back to paying for rides with whomever has the GP19's, but it's unlikely in the extreme.
xracer likes this.

Last edited by Full_Spectrum; Today at 4:08 pm. Reason: Just adding context
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 4:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Spectrum View Post
............Alvaro will be 35 next year.............
That changes everything. Didn't know he was 35. Not much chance of getting back to motoGP at that age, he'll finish his career with Ducati SBK.

2012 1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in