tyre tubes or tubeless ... and why care? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2010, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

tyre tubes or tubeless ... and why care?

Howdy Folk,

I've read a few previous threads that kind of imply having tyre tubes is not as preferable as having tubeless tyres. If I've read this correct, why is this?

My Paul Smart has Pirelli Phantoms and on the wall is marked - tubeless unless required by rim.
So does the standard PS spoked rim require tubes?

Thanks
Jas

Shiny side up!

2006 Ducati PS1000LE
1999 Honda Fireblade CBR919RR
1997 Honda Fireblade CBR919RR
1996 Kawasaki ZX6-R
1992 Suzuki GSX250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasb View Post
So does the standard PS spoked rim require tubes?
yes, and the tubes (and spoked rims) are heavy so it affects the handling.. and if you get a flat it's a pain in the ass compared to getting a flat with tubeless tires.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2010, 10:30 pm

it's the holes for the spokes that make the rims require tubes.

there are a few options though for spoked tubless rims:

alpinas have a special system that allows them to be sealed air tight. they are sexy but not cheap.

the other alternative is some have silicone sealed their spoked rims, making them air tight and allowing their rims to run tubeless. there is some debate as to how frequently these seals fail, though im guessing many on this forum have enough miles on their sealed spoked rims to give solid evidence in favor or against the idea.

finally, you can swap out the spoked rims for a forged (non-spoked) set for the greatest weight savings and improvement to handling.

2002 998 SBK _ 2004 SS1000 _ 2007 GT1000

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2010, 11:51 pm

You can run tubeless tyres with tubes or without.

You can only run tube type tyres with tubes.

SC's run tubes because of the retro styled spoked wheels. Other than looks (and some don't even agree on this point), tubeless is better in all respects - lighter, easier to change, easier to fix punctures, less likely to fail suddenly.

Cheers,

Brett

Ducati Sport Classic 1000
Triumph Thruxton 900
Harley Davidson Sportster 1200
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2010, 2:04 am
Master of Bumnitude

The classically-styled spoked wheels are a compromise made for the sake of appearance. For many of us (but obviously not all) they are part and parcel with the whole sport classic thing.

Are they as good as modern, tubeless, alloy wheels? Nope. Is the compromise worth it? Only you can decide.

Personally If I didn't want 'em I'd have bought a different bike. A Monster perhaps.

Been riding since 1967. I've never had a blow out and had just one flat in all those years. I'm sure that colors my viewpoint.

-don

DUCeditor
Ducatis Unlimited Connection
http://duc-bz.github.com/

http://donstnt.blogspot.com/

"Old rockers never die"
(They just keep asking everyone to repeat themselves because THEY'RE BLOODY DEAF)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2010, 9:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshadbolt;859471. . .
You can run tubeless tyres with tubes or without.

You can only run tube type tyres with tubes. . .
I'm doing just that - replaced my GT's OEM Michelin Pilot Classics with Pilot Road 2s

I'm ambivalent about the stock wheels - love the classic look but don't love cleaning them. Since I'm not an agressive rider, I think if I ever replace them it'll be because of too much rust\oxidation rather than for performance advantages. Then I'll have to decide whether to go the bargain route and just get some used PS wheels with the aluminum rim, or the not so bargain route - OZ bronze 5 spoke casters that remind me a bit of those on the old Darmahs circa '80.

'07 GT1000 - rosso - sold 2013
-CRG bar end mirrors
-Fat Duc O2 Manipulator
-National Cycle F-16 Sportshield
-14T front sprocket
-2nd tank (not the "bling" I'm most proud of)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2010, 6:49 pm

I'm on my third set of Pirelli Corsa IIIs on my PS1000. I'm still using the stock tubes though. Probably will replace the tubes with the next set though. Never a problem. I do hate cleaning spokes though.

Stephen L. Bradley a.k.a PREM
Paul Smart 1000LE (tank #2)
www.thoroughbreddoc.org
We're on Facebook too:
Thoroughbred Ducati Owners of Kentucky
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2010, 4:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesare57 View Post
I'm doing just that - replaced my GT's OEM Michelin Pilot Classics with Pilot Road 2s

I'm ambivalent about the stock wheels - love the classic look but don't love cleaning them. Since I'm not an agressive rider, I think if I ever replace them it'll be because of too much rust\oxidation rather than for performance advantages. Then I'll have to decide whether to go the bargain route and just get some used PS wheels with the aluminum rim, or the not so bargain route - OZ bronze 5 spoke casters that remind me a bit of those on the old Darmahs circa '80.
There are many options for wheels - it's only the GT1000's that have heavy chrome rims - my SC1000 and all other models come with ali rims same as PS. If you were in Singapore I could sell you my stock SC wheels - or there are other stock Duc wheels which fit - I'm running ST4 wheels I think.

Cheers,

Brett

Ducati Sport Classic 1000
Triumph Thruxton 900
Harley Davidson Sportster 1200
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2010, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshadbolt View Post
There are many options for wheels - it's only the GT1000's that have heavy chrome rims - my SC1000 and all other models come with ali rims same as PS. If you were in Singapore I could sell you my stock SC wheels - or there are other stock Duc wheels which fit - I'm running ST4 wheels I think.

Cheers,

Brett
Thanks Brett - I forgot the SC1000 uses the same wheels as the PS. That works out well for us GT owners since quite a few SC and PS owners upgrade wheels and then sell their OEM wheels, providing a nice upgrade for GT owners at a modest price.

'07 GT1000 - rosso - sold 2013
-CRG bar end mirrors
-Fat Duc O2 Manipulator
-National Cycle F-16 Sportshield
-14T front sprocket
-2nd tank (not the "bling" I'm most proud of)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2010, 2:26 pm

Gone Tubeless

In preparation for attending Reg Pridmore's school on the Streets of Willow at the end of the month, (and because Nicky Hayden didn't draw my ticket at Laguna Seca) I took my wheels and a set of Dunlop Q2s to Ride Wright Wheels in Anaheim, CA last week.
Naturally, the weather has precluded any serious runs on the butt dyno but I can say that the proprietor of Ride Wright, Mr. Sam Wakim is a pleasure to do business with and he sealed my rims for not much more than the price of a pair of tubes.
Anyway, about four pounds of inner tubes are in my garage instead of in my tires and as said before, if you are going to lose weight on your bike, there is no better place than inside the tires.

Ken
06 Sport Classic with gas tank #3, Sealed stock rims by Ride Wright, Fat Duc Mixture Control, Zard slip-ons, Sel-Motion damper, minor air box tweak, Cycle Cat adjustable bars, Whistler Cruisader, 15mm preload in the forks, "comfort seat", and my own fender elimination with Lite'N Boltz for the plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode