Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Help: Airbox, Termis - Unreliable

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  motoFiend 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 SC1000 Biposto which had it's valve guides replaced by Brickwood Performance around 2012. At the same time, the airbox was replaced with KN Air-Intake Kit and the baffles in the Termi exhaust were taken out. (I assume the original owner installed the termi ecu.)

Since then, I've had years without the reliability I had for the first couple of years when it was pre-valve guide replacement and had the stock airbox and the Termi exhausts with baffles. The bike seems to be running rich foiling the hottest spark plugs I could try and after several computer settings tried by BWP (but never a specific map for the SC1000 - always another model that BWP had on their computer). The bike runs rough, backfires, hates city traffic, stalls, etc. killing the battery... It acts great when at the mechanics.. terrible as soon I ride it normally through the city out to the country or just around the block for a coffee run.

I'm miserable with this lack of reliability. :(

The next option now is to mail the the ECU off for a new map specifically of the SC1000 with intake + termi.

I'm debating if I should try this "last ditch effort" as to try sending the ECU off or to consider putting the stock airbox back on and trying the original ecu settings.

Could I get the help and the advice of you experienced guys on this forum? What should I be doing?Am I missing something? I tried searching and reading everything I can here and would appreciate your frank advice**.

Thank you.

Jay

** ie. https://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-spo...rks-airbox-exhaust-ecu-wheels-belts-misc.html

and this comment on air intake stacks: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-spo...ermignoni-system-i-have-ecu.html#post6807089

See less See more
#2 ·
someone who knows what to do regarding ecu set up would be a starting point. if it has had the airbox removed then an ecu file to account for the extra airflow would help performance, but a dp file with the idle mixture set right should be fine for the lower throttle openings at least. maybe there's something actually wrong with it. put it on a diagnostic tool and see if all the sensor inputs are valid.

#3 ·
FWIW, I installed Stradafab custom exhaust and WASP Puk air intake system (basically open pods and thus air box removal). I had the ECU remapped by Rexxer (Redline Motorsports, VA). My bike ran pretty bad. I then had it fine tuned by dyno, TPS reset, and it's now all dialed in. It's a lot of money, but no regrets. Strange that it can be so different at the hands of the mechanic vs. outside of the shop when you have it. Hope you figure yours out, if you can, it's bliss.

#5 ·
If you haven’t done it, start by re-setting the TPS. The ECU controls how it runs, but the symptoms you’re describing sound more like basic setup and calibration are not done. You didn’t tell us, is the ECU the Ducati Performance part that originally came with Termis? Or is it the stock part still using the O2 sensor?

#6 ·
Thank you.

Mbp did put on a new map using their laptop - i forget which model. Then did a tps reset. At the same time, the idle screw was adjusted so the idle would be above 1000 and avoid stalling.. franky it took weeks of adjusting that screw to be consistently idling at 1400.

The cpu i do not know as i am the second owner, although i have the original termi box so i assume it is the ducati performance part. If there is a way to visually tell i can check immediately.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.