Starting problems and battery discharging - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By mike_delphin
  • 1 Post By belter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2019, 9:28 am Thread Starter
JCS

Starting problems and battery discharging

So after years of trouble free operation with my SC1000s, suddenly I have trouble getting the alarm to disarm unless I hold the fob directly next to the alarm unit under the seat.
This works for a few rides out but then I go out and find the battery dead (trickle charger used).
New battery fitted and allís fine again but next time out it wonít start, ignition relay under the seat starts clicking away and dash lights and dials are haywire.

So, Iím thinking is this the R/R problem that Iíve read so much about??
Gotta be worth a try, so I order a mofset R/R from Electrosport (plug & play) but still no joy!

So, I got stuck into it today and thought where did the problem start? The Alarm.
After an internet search I found a post on a rival forum with an alarm fault on a 749 which turned out to be the internal backup siren battery pack.
Disconnected and pulled out the alarm module (Spyball 6527) and pulled it apart.
Sure enough the unit has a 6 x coin cell 7.2v 80mAh Ni-Mh battery pack.
I cut open the shrink wrap and checked output voltage which was about 0.5v before the leads fell off. Cells were leaking.

So new battery pack ordered (from China!) and fingers crossed itíll turn up this year!
Not seen this issue mentioned on the forum before so was wondering if anyone else has come across it or does everyone generally just ditch the spyball alarm?

Cheers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 9:50 pm

Iíve had a similar issue with my 06 mono. My battery kept dying even after replacing it with a new one and the bike wouldnít start. I ended up replacing the rectifier as well as the stator (was recommended) and all was well again. Hope this helps!

PS, I got my rectifier from JC PakBikes and the stator from Rickís Motorsport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JCS likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2019, 7:37 pm

if there was ever an aftermarket product that caused endless grief on motorcycles it's alarms. i'd throw it to the shithouse. some alarms seemed to have massive current draw on the battery. 6ma draw with the ignition off will flatten a battery over a day or two.

otherwise, diagnose the issue. don't just replace parts and hope.

Brad The Bike Boy: Charging system diagnosis procedure
JCS likes this.

know all wanker

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2019, 11:11 am

Garage
belter, I'm pretty sure he's talking about the OEM one that came with and is built into the bike

Toby
2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 monoposto(click me) |2014 Diavel Strada Ti | '72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top | '76 VW Riviera Sundowner 2.0L, family camper | '95 VW Jetta GL 2.0L, Close-ratio tranny, LSD, modified engine
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 12:26 pm Thread Starter
JCS

Thanks for the replies!
Yes, itís the OEM spyball alarm.
Definitely causing a problem as wouldnít arm/disarm so I removed the lot which was fairly easy as itís installed with its own loom, so just a matter of disconnecting and reconnecting plugs.
Recharged battery and bike ran great for about a week but after letting it stand on trickle charger the batteryís flat again!
Got a house to paint so will have another crack at it in a week or so.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 12:26 pm Thread Starter
JCS

Thanks for the link belter!1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode