Recent sport classic prices - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 3:44 am Thread Starter

Recent sport classic prices

Just watched a Paul smart with <400mi sell on eBay for 16k, the recent economy I’m sure has something to do with it I’m sure but does it feel like motorcycle sales in general are at a low? I could have sworn a paul smart no more than a few years ago would fetch at least 18k definitely more with such low miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 6:46 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mordigan View Post
Just watched a Paul smart with <400mi sell on eBay for 16k, the recent economy Iím sure has something to do with it Iím sure but does it feel like motorcycle sales in general are at a low? I could have sworn a paul smart no more than a few years ago would fetch at least 18k definitely more with such low miles.
I've had my 06 Sport 1000 for sale here for a couple of months now. Dropped the price $2k. No interest.
Maybe I'll keep it and create a place for it in my home, so many great memories associated.

- Michael
Davehales likes this.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hndymn View Post
Quote:
Just watched a Paul smart with <400mi sell on eBay for 16k, the recent economy I’m sure has something to do with it I’m sure but does it feel like motorcycle sales in general are at a low? I could have sworn a paul smart no more than a few years ago would fetch at least 18k definitely more with such low miles.
I've had my 06 Sport 1000 for sale here for a couple of months now. Dropped the price $2k. No interest.
Maybe I'll keep it and create a place for it in my home, so many great memories associated.

- Michael
We’ll have to speak via PM, I may be interested, I just haven’t looked at shipping costs for motorcycles so I haven’t given out of state bikes any consideration.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Annual MC sales in the US are a little more than 1/2 what they were prior to 2008. The sportbike market is even worse with virtually nothing moving new or used. Harley's top line continues to decline over 5% a quarter, the latest being over 13%. Very bad news for a high overhead business.

It's what I call overall a "bad market".

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hndymn View Post

- Michael
I had the same problem with mine I took off almost every upgrade put it back to
stock minus clip on's and tail tidy and it sold for $1500 more than I paid for it in
2 weeks.

2008 Hypermotard 1100S, 2004 Green Ducati.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 6:39 pm
DGJ

I can attest it's not limited to Sport Classics.

I've had my pristine RC8R on eBay for 4 weeks now, even with an attractive price. No bites.

Weird.

[*]'07 Ducati Sport Classic Sport1000 Biposto, Black [*]'05 Ducati 999s, Black (sold)[*]'18 KTM 1290 SuperAdventure S, Black[*]'14 KTM 1190 RC8R, White/Orange/Black
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermo View Post
stock minus clip on's and tail tidy and it sold for $1500 more than I paid for it in
2 weeks.
It is a "weird" market to quote @DGJ . You managed to find the guy that had to have one and I think you were smart to take off the upgrades. Almost invariably, you get little for them.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 8:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermo View Post
2 weeks.
It is a "weird" market to quote @DGJ . You managed to find the guy that had to have one and I think you were smart to take off the upgrades. Almost invariably, you get little for them.
I agree with this as well not only as a seller but as a buyer. I’ve had to do the same with previous bikes. As a buyer I can understand, a tidy tail and an exhaust are likely my first mods so I can appreciate those on a bike but when it’s modded to the wazoo you just can’t expect to get that money back as the chances of finding a buyer that wants all that same stuff anyways is slim to none.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casor View Post
Annual MC sales in the US are a little more than 1/2 what they were prior to 2008. The sportbike market is even worse with virtually nothing moving new or used. Harley's top line continues to decline over 5% a quarter, the latest being over 13%. Very bad news for a high overhead business.

It's what I call overall a "bad market".
I almost feel like it’s also generational. I don’t know how old you guys are but, a few years shy of 40 and have been riding for almost 13 years or so, I’m at a point in my life I can’t ride as often as I used to. The friends I used to ride with don’t even ride sportbikes anymore and have moved onto cruisers or nothing at all. The guys older than me I would imagine are more likely to be in this same boat and the generation 10+ years younger than me don’t really seem as interested in riding as I was at that age.

Or is this just the view of an “old man” LOL
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 10:33 pm

Quote:
I almost feel like itís also generational. I donít know how old you guys are but, a few years shy of 40 and have been riding for almost 13 years or so, Iím at a point in my life I canít ride as often as I used to. The friends I used to ride with donít even ride sportbikes anymore and have moved onto cruisers or nothing at all. The guys older than me I would imagine are more likely to be in this same boat and the generation 10+ years younger than me donít really seem as interested in riding as I was at that age.

Or is this just the view of an ďold manĒ LOL
I think that pretty much sums up the issues with the market. I think the other issue is that the manufacturers have little in the way of starter bikes. My first bike a million yrs ago was a Honda CT90 for something like $4-500. Then another Honda and then a BMW, the latter mostly because the lunatic that taught me how to ride had one and I liked it. Certainly, I am no marketing guy and there are many other issues conspiring to make this market the worst I have ever seen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode