Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/)
-   Sport Classic (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/)
-   -   Recent sport classic prices (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/724047-recent-sport-classic-prices.html)

mad mordigan Jul 15th, 2019 3:44 am

Recent sport classic prices

Just watched a Paul smart with <400mi sell on eBay for 16k, the recent economy I’m sure has something to do with it I’m sure but does it feel like motorcycle sales in general are at a low? I could have sworn a paul smart no more than a few years ago would fetch at least 18k definitely more with such low miles.

Hndymn Jul 15th, 2019 6:46 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad mordigan (Post 7006389)
Just watched a Paul smart with <400mi sell on eBay for 16k, the recent economy Iím sure has something to do with it Iím sure but does it feel like motorcycle sales in general are at a low? I could have sworn a paul smart no more than a few years ago would fetch at least 18k definitely more with such low miles.

I've had my 06 Sport 1000 for sale here for a couple of months now. Dropped the price $2k. No interest.
Maybe I'll keep it and create a place for it in my home, so many great memories associated.

- Michael

mad mordigan Jul 15th, 2019 12:01 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hndymn (Post 7006405)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mad mordigan (Post 7006389)
Just watched a Paul smart with <400mi sell on eBay for 16k, the recent economy I’m sure has something to do with it I’m sure but does it feel like motorcycle sales in general are at a low? I could have sworn a paul smart no more than a few years ago would fetch at least 18k definitely more with such low miles.

I've had my 06 Sport 1000 for sale here for a couple of months now. Dropped the price $2k. No interest.
Maybe I'll keep it and create a place for it in my home, so many great memories associated.

- Michael

We’ll have to speak via PM, I may be interested, I just haven’t looked at shipping costs for motorcycles so I haven’t given out of state bikes any consideration.

casor Jul 15th, 2019 1:33 pm

Annual MC sales in the US are a little more than 1/2 what they were prior to 2008. The sportbike market is even worse with virtually nothing moving new or used. Harley's top line continues to decline over 5% a quarter, the latest being over 13%. Very bad news for a high overhead business.

It's what I call overall a "bad market".

hypermo Jul 15th, 2019 5:25 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hndymn (Post 7006405)

- Michael

I had the same problem with mine I took off almost every upgrade put it back to
stock minus clip on's and tail tidy and it sold for $1500 more than I paid for it in
2 weeks.

DGJ Jul 15th, 2019 6:39 pm

I can attest it's not limited to Sport Classics.

I've had my pristine RC8R on eBay for 4 weeks now, even with an attractive price. No bites.

Weird.

casor Jul 15th, 2019 7:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypermo (Post 7006603)
stock minus clip on's and tail tidy and it sold for $1500 more than I paid for it in
2 weeks.

It is a "weird" market to quote @DGJ . You managed to find the guy that had to have one and I think you were smart to take off the upgrades. Almost invariably, you get little for them.

mad mordigan Jul 15th, 2019 8:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by casor (Post 7006629)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypermo (Post 7006603)
2 weeks.

It is a "weird" market to quote @DGJ . You managed to find the guy that had to have one and I think you were smart to take off the upgrades. Almost invariably, you get little for them.

I agree with this as well not only as a seller but as a buyer. I’ve had to do the same with previous bikes. As a buyer I can understand, a tidy tail and an exhaust are likely my first mods so I can appreciate those on a bike but when it’s modded to the wazoo you just can’t expect to get that money back as the chances of finding a buyer that wants all that same stuff anyways is slim to none.

mad mordigan Jul 15th, 2019 8:13 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by casor (Post 7006521)
Annual MC sales in the US are a little more than 1/2 what they were prior to 2008. The sportbike market is even worse with virtually nothing moving new or used. Harley's top line continues to decline over 5% a quarter, the latest being over 13%. Very bad news for a high overhead business.

It's what I call overall a "bad market".

I almost feel like it’s also generational. I don’t know how old you guys are but, a few years shy of 40 and have been riding for almost 13 years or so, I’m at a point in my life I can’t ride as often as I used to. The friends I used to ride with don’t even ride sportbikes anymore and have moved onto cruisers or nothing at all. The guys older than me I would imagine are more likely to be in this same boat and the generation 10+ years younger than me don’t really seem as interested in riding as I was at that age.

Or is this just the view of an “old man” LOL

casor Jul 15th, 2019 10:33 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad mordigan (Post 7006647)
I almost feel like itís also generational. I donít know how old you guys are but, a few years shy of 40 and have been riding for almost 13 years or so, Iím at a point in my life I canít ride as often as I used to. The friends I used to ride with donít even ride sportbikes anymore and have moved onto cruisers or nothing at all. The guys older than me I would imagine are more likely to be in this same boat and the generation 10+ years younger than me donít really seem as interested in riding as I was at that age.

Or is this just the view of an ďold manĒ LOL

I think that pretty much sums up the issues with the market. I think the other issue is that the manufacturers have little in the way of starter bikes. My first bike a million yrs ago was a Honda CT90 for something like $4-500. Then another Honda and then a BMW, the latter mostly because the lunatic that taught me how to ride had one and I liked it. Certainly, I am no marketing guy and there are many other issues conspiring to make this market the worst I have ever seen.