Recent sport classic prices - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 1:10 pm

Men are as old as they feel and women are as old as they look.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 4:07 pm

Maybe the market is just realizing they were over priced for a while and correcting.
I never really did understand why these were selling for more then MSRP so quick.

They sat on showrooms for YEARS unsold, and then all of a sudden they were collectible.
fastfinch likes this.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 4:28 pm

RE; young'ns these days.

A study was done very recently, it asked elementary schools kids what they wanted to be when they grew up ... both in China and in the U.S.

The Chinese kids' #1 response (by far) is to be an astronaut.

The U.S. kids' #1 response by a very long shot was to be a You Tube vlogger.

The western world is truly doomed. Our kids are idiots. Our college kids are brainwashed Marxist morons. Yes ... indeed, truly doomed.

Regarding bike sales, yea ... Harley is struggling to find themselves. Most manufacturers are going with more and more computer junk on their bikes. I think the visceral raw excitement and "social rebel" appeal of bikes is all but dead due to bikes becoming too homogenized and over-controlled. Not only that, but the overall "risk avert" attitude of younger folks drives them to vehicles with fourteen airbags, self-parking, self-braking, self-lane-holding features with what is essentially their social media tablets mounted in the dash.

One other thing; any number of medical studies show that testosterone levels in modern adult males has dropped by over 60% when compared to most middle aged and senior aged men when they were the same age.

These issues may be contributing to the weak bike sales.

fastfinch likes this.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ...Go, Blow, Or Put A Hole In The Fence.

Last edited by Rex Coil 7; Jul 21st, 2019 at 4:37 pm.

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
RE; young'ns these days.

A study was done very recently, it asked elementary schools kids what they wanted to be when they grew up ... both in China and in the U.S.

The Chinese kids' #1 response (by far) is to be an astronaut.

The U.S. kids' #1 response by a very long shot was to be a You Tube vlogger.

The western world is truly doomed. Our kids are idiots. Our college kids are brainwashed Marxist morons. Yes ... indeed, truly doomed.

Regarding bike sales, yea ... Harley is struggling to find themselves. Most manufacturers are going with more and more computer junk on their bikes. I think the visceral raw excitement and "social rebel" appeal of bikes is all but dead due to bikes becoming too homogenized and over-controlled. Not only that, but the overall "risk avert" attitude of younger folks drives them to vehicles with fourteen airbags, self-parking, self-braking, self-lane-holding features with what is essentially their social media tablets mounted in the dash.

One other thing; any number of medical studies show that testosterone levels in modern adult males has dropped by over 60% when compared to most middle aged and senior aged men when they were the same age.

These issues may be contributing to the weak bike sales.

Isn't that the friggin truth. I was a in a BMW dealer a few mos ago and the sales guy - an experienced BMW guy - noted that the new bike sales are predicated on the increasing amount of new, whiz bang computer crap hung on the bikes. The bikes have to have it to sell. The things, like the cars today, are little more than rolling laptops. I design and build scale flying models and feel like a dinosaur these days. Nobody wants to get their hands dirty or has a sense of wonder as to how to make something or how things go together or work. The "thinking" part of leisure activities has been removed from society.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 7:15 pm

It's my humble opinion, and a lot of you guys aren't going to like this, and violently disagree just because you don't like it... But the Triumph modern classics have put a serious dent in the value of the Sport Classic.

As a person who at one point considered a Sport Classic, I quickly squashed that idea because Sport Classic owners think their bikes are made of gold. They are not. Meanwhile a used 2016 Triumph Thruxton R is is going for $10K, and it's just as much bike with just as much style and more performance.

Here's where everyone declares the Sport Classic a special bike, the Thruxton R garbage, and guys like me don't understand. I understand alright... that some people don't have a grasp how the market works, what their bikes are worth, and judgement is seriously clouded by misty water colored memories.

It's just an opinion. I'm sure some of the other points you guy are making factor in. But for the Sport Classic in particular, it is definitely in competition with the Thruxton R.
fastfinch likes this.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
It's my humble opinion, and a lot of you guys aren't going to like this, and violently disagree just because you don't like it... But the Triumph modern classics have put a serious dent in the value of the Sport Classic.

As a person who at one point considered a Sport Classic, I quickly squashed that idea because Sport Classic owners think their bikes are made of gold. They are not. Meanwhile a used 2016 Triumph Thruxton R is is going for $10K, and it's just as much bike with just as much style and more performance.

Here's where everyone declares the Sport Classic a special bike, the Thruxton R garbage, and guys like me don't understand. I understand alright... that some people don't have a grasp how the market works, what their bikes are worth, and judgement is seriously clouded by misty water colored memories.

It's just an opinion. I'm sure some of the other points you guy are making factor in. But for the Sport Classic in particular, it is definitely in competition with the Thruxton R.
I have a Thruxton R and it's the bike that Ducati should have built.

post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by surffly View Post
Maybe the market is just realizing they were over priced for a while and correcting.
I never really did understand why these were selling for more then MSRP so quick.

They sat on showrooms for YEARS unsold, and then all of a sudden they were collectible.
Two things that helped drive up the sport Classics prices years ago were the Cafe Racer craze and the
Tron Movie tie in both are now fading and the prices have been falling as well. If you go back 7 years
ago you couldn't find one for sale and if you listed one it sold in days.
surffly likes this.

2008 Hypermotard 1100S, 2004 Green Ducati.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 5:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by surffly View Post

Two things that helped drive up the sport Classics prices years ago were the Cafe Racer craze and the
Tron Movie tie in both are now fading and the prices have been falling as well. If you go back 7 years
ago you couldn't find one for sale and if you listed one it sold in days.
This is likely the truth, combined with the aforementioned, feminine like males of this new generation and their lack of desire to ride.
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 10:27 am

I think some might want to set away from a few YouTube channels and take off the tin foil hats......

There is not so much an issue with people not wanting to ride motorcycles as much as the issue is the manufactures are not making a lot of appealing products.
Sure the latest and greatest 200+hp monster is appealing, but is it really that much more appealing then a 200+hp monster bike that is years old? Or the even cheaper 180+hp versions of the same bike 10 years ago?
There really has not been much "improvement" in long time. Sure electronics make the bikes more usable and safer, but that feeling in your gut when you twist the throttle is not that much different. So why bother buying new?
The manufactures have also shot themselves in the foot by failing to market their more interesting options in better ways.
Look at the Vitpilien (spelling?) husky 701. EPIC specs and a really good/fun street bike. They packaged it in a really appealing shape.....but want $2000 more then the same spec bike from KTM....WHY?!?!?!?
It really turns people off.
Then there is the hipster bait marketing of the Ducati Scrambler.....did Ducati not know that the Hipster movement is over?
FAIL.
Dont even get me started on the new supersports....

I guess my point is that the move for most is to just buy used. No real point in spending the money on new.

People are spending money in the ADV sector for sure.

But back to the sport classic.
It really did not have very appealing specs, the bike is basically an old monster with nicer to look at body work.
Makes sense that as tastes change, so does the value.
Bike was not made to be limited production, they just didnt sell well
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 10:35 am

Also the tank issues really turn riders off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode