Recent sport classic prices - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 10:38 pm
Senior Member
 
Iwannaduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fairfield , Nor Cal,
Posts: 788
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mordigan View Post
I almost feel like it’s also generational. I don’t know how old you guys are but, a few years shy of 40 and have been riding for almost 13 years or so, I’m at a point in my life I can’t ride as often as I used to. The friends I used to ride with don’t even ride sportbikes anymore and have moved onto cruisers or nothing at all. The guys older than me I would imagine are more likely to be in this same boat and the generation 10+ years younger than me don’t really seem as interested in riding as I was at that age.

Or is this just the view of an “old man” LOL
I don't think you're wrong at all.....and I'm tad bit older than you. I'm 52 and the kids I work with seem bemused that I ride sport bikes at my age.

All my old riding buddies from my 20s have given up on sports bikes. The one's still alive anyway. Most cite their "old bones" not being able to handle the riding position or the firm suspensions.

I dunno, I hope to be able to continue riding my 996 and Aprilia for at least another 20 years....or until fossil fuel burning engines are outlawed all together.

I ain't in the best shape. 23 years of military service and a further 9 as a government worker is a life time of accumulated injuries. I don't feel the greatest when I get off a sports bike but I ain't horrible either.

I think your generational observation is spot on. As a tiny, unscientific and completely conjectural bit of supporting evidence I look at the barracks parking lot.

Back when I lived in the barracks the parking lots were full of bikes and hot rodded cars. Now, there are few bikes and almost no hot rodded cars.

I'll leave it at that. I think that minor observation illustrates where our society has gone.

Tinkering with mechanical things has given way to algorithms and toying with programming. Actual trial and error learning has given way to youtube videos. Just the way it is now.....sean
Riderjeff likes this.

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
Iwannaduc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2019, 11:03 am
DGJ
Senior Member
 
DGJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mordigan View Post
I almost feel like itís also generational. I donít know how old you guys are but, a few years shy of 40 and have been riding for almost 13 years or so, Iím at a point in my life I canít ride as often as I used to. The friends I used to ride with donít even ride sportbikes anymore and have moved onto cruisers or nothing at all. The guys older than me I would imagine are more likely to be in this same boat and the generation 10+ years younger than me donít really seem as interested in riding as I was at that age.

Or is this just the view of an ďold manĒ LOL
It's so true. I was 31 when I bought my sport classic. I rode the shit out of it up and down the California coast, logging 300+ miles per day easily with no sweat.

I'm approaching 43 now and, (maybe it's because I lowered the clip-ons and put on rear sets), I can't ride the classic more than 2 hours. Last year I bought an adventure bike, and that's now my work horse while my classic is enjoying her garage queen status. I'll never sell it, I love it too much, and riding it is like going on a date with your first love. But I just rode up and down to Laguna Seca from LA, logging 450 miles of twisties each day on my ADV bike and it was like nothing.

most of the guys I ride with went from sports bikes to adv bikes. that's where the market is at its strongest I think, considering they make adv bikes with super bike performance.. it's hard to beat.

The sport classic has always been for a limited market. Most of them have found their homes. I'd imagine with patience you'd find the right buyer, but it's definitely a buyer's market now.

[*]'07 Ducati Sport Classic Sport1000 Biposto, Black [*]'05 Ducati 999s, Black (sold)[*]'18 KTM 1290 SuperAdventure S, Black[*]'14 KTM 1190 RC8R, White/Orange/Black
DGJ is offline  
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Jamestown, OH, USA
Posts: 28
Garage
I agree with a lot of the comments, but also remember these are high end, higher dollar, disposable income toys for the most part. I know some ride their Ducati as a daily, but probably not the majority. In the Japanese market I think used bike prices have gone up a lot over the past 5 years, especially the more exotic or rare bikes like the Kaw H1 or H2, Suzuki GT series, early Honda CB 750, and now people are importing all of the 90's era two stroke sport bikes into the US. I think if they qualify for a classic or historical bike they can by-pass emissions or somerthing like that to get them here. I have sold a few bikes this year in the $3000-$5000 range pretty quick this year.

2011 Hypermotard EVO SP
MK212MX is offline  
 
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2019, 4:16 pm
Senior Member
 
StraDuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL, USA
Posts: 702
Man all of you kids are bumming me out! I will turn 70 on the 15th of next month and thanks to you working kids I'll be getting my first Social Security check! And I rode my S1K Mono about 160 miles through the wilds of Wisconsin on Sunday. I would have gone farther but it was hot in my leathers and I had things I needed to do around the house to maintain domestic tranquility...but it wasn't because I was old. Or tired. One of my favorite authors is Richard Bach and he said: "Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours." So quit acting like you are all a bunch of "old" dudes and go ride your sport bike like you're still a kid. If you start thinking and acting like you're old you're going to die.

Terry
scott, Iwannaduc, Blitzen and 5 others like this.

'73 Ducati Bevel Drive 750 GT |'74 Norton Commando Roadster |'96 Ducati 900 Super Sport/SP | '06 Sport 1000 Monoposto
StraDuc is offline  
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2019, 2:20 am Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Ventura County, CA, USA
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK212MX View Post
I agree with a lot of the comments, but also remember these are high end, higher dollar, disposable income toys for the most part. I know some ride their Ducati as a daily, but probably not the majority. In the Japanese market I think used bike prices have gone up a lot over the past 5 years, especially the more exotic or rare bikes like the Kaw H1 or H2, Suzuki GT series, early Honda CB 750, and now people are importing all of the 90's era two stroke sport bikes into the US. I think if they qualify for a classic or historical bike they can by-pass emissions or somerthing like that to get them here. I have sold a few bikes this year in the $3000-$5000 range pretty quick this year.
I sorta agree there was a boom for 70’s era CB’s and prices skyrocketed, but now you see the same bikes listed for ridiculous amounts and not selling and there are even those that were bought with the markup, made into basket cases and now being listed for in my opinion (having 4 Honda CB’s) stupid amounts. I’m just gona vent here because all these people romanticized about bringing a bike back to life only to get overwhelmed by their boxes of parts and then trying to make their money back.

There is some truth to ducati’s being a high dollar item though and thus making sales low because if I’m not mistaken, the scrambler is ducati’s Best selling bike at the moment, which should give some explaination as to the current market and riding demographic
mad mordigan is offline  
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2019, 2:44 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Yuma, Az., USA
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraDuc View Post
... So quit acting like you are all a bunch of "old" dudes and go ride your sport bike like you're still a kid. If you start thinking and acting like you're old you're going to die.

Terry
Fact.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT
Rex Coil 7 is online now  
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2019, 2:46 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Yuma, Az., USA
Posts: 646
Well, there's another way to look at the used bike market at present; it's a buyer's market!


Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT
Rex Coil 7 is online now  
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2019, 7:15 am
Prolific Poster Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Grass Lake, Mi, USA
Posts: 5,477
Images: 4
Thatís true, but now I have to consider that when in the market; It is probably going to be a bad investment. Bikes arenít selling. Where I live I donít see younger guys or kids riding them anymore. The only motorcycle events I go to that I see kids at are the ones that are in the middle of town. Young guys donít have the disposable income they used to, not enough for a motorcycle , anyway . Not one of the younger people in my family show any interest at all in motorcycles. Iíve been riding about 57 years or so, but I just started riding sport bikes 10 years ago. My great grandson, 6, rides an electric dirt bike. Heís the only person I know under 40 riding a motorcycle.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
duc96cr is online now  
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2019, 1:37 am
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
Thatís true, but now I have to consider that when in the market; It is probably going to be a bad investment. Bikes arenít selling. Where I live I donít see younger guys or kids riding them anymore. The only motorcycle events I go to that I see kids at are the ones that are in the middle of town. Young guys donít have the disposable income they used to, not enough for a motorcycle , anyway . Not one of the younger people in my family show any interest at all in motorcycles. Iíve been riding about 57 years or so, but I just started riding sport bikes 10 years ago. My great grandson, 6, rides an electric dirt bike. Heís the only person I know under 40 riding a motorcycle.
I agree that it is a generational thing. Nowadays opinions and "whats cool" is dictated by the media. Look at sport classics, Ducati had trouble selling them and then they blew up in value partly because they had one in a movie and some cool dude was riding it. Oh and also people are more worried about riding just so they can post something on social media because if you didn't post it did you actually do it.
Iwannaduc likes this.

2008 Sport 1000, 2007 GT, 1981 Sportster, 2013 Monster 1100 Evo
DesmoBros (click for pics)
fastfinch is online now  
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 12:15 pm
Senior Member
 
Iwannaduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fairfield , Nor Cal,
Posts: 788
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfinch View Post
Oh and also people are more worried about riding just so they can post something on social media because if you didn't post it did you actually do it.
^^^THIS^^^
Or at least, a whole lot of it. I work with kids. At 52 I'm the oldest guy in my office. Only one of our secretaries is older. One kid I work with is the same age as my oldest son. Another, is the same age as my youngest son. Exactly the same age in fact, they share the same birth date.

What I glean from all the interaction with coworkers the same age as my kids is that there is a great deal of the above going on. People do stuff solely so they can post it on social media. Kind of a "look what I did, look what I did" brag.

Even the kids I work with recognize it. They have an incredibly important job, but don't go bragging about it on social media. Most of them use it to keep up with friends but that's about it.

We've had conversations about it, and all of us actually agree that no one wants to know what the hell we're doing on a daily basis.

I just don't care what other people do to be honest. I don't. I don't even want to know if you're feeling "Meh". Seriously, I don't care.

You rode your brand spanking new sports bike on Hwy 1? Good for you, I still don't care.

As for age, and the whole, you're only as old as you feel thing....
I don't feel too old for riding sportsbikes, in fact, I ride a bicycle daily to keep myself in shape to continue to ride them.

I do feel old beyond my 52 years though. I put my body through the wringer when I was younger and now I'm paying for that.

Mentally though, I don't feel like I ever grew up. I still like doing things on the spur of the moment. I still think like I did when I was 18....at least to a point. Now a days I ask myself before jumping in with both feet, "Self, how are we gonna feel tomorrow if we do this?"

If I answer myself with a "not good" I have to then reanalyze both my mental state for talking to myself in 3rd person and what I have to take care of tomorrow.

The good part is, most of the time I just say damnit, I'm just gonna do it because I want to....I want to before I get too old.....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
Iwannaduc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome