old article from February 2009 - The Holy Trinity - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 4 Post By motoFiend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2019, 10:46 am Thread Starter

old article from February 2009 - The Holy Trinity

This may or may have not been posted here but I happened to run across this article today and found it interesting. Paul Smart doing a riding comparison of the 750 Imola Racer, 74 Super Sport and of course the PS1000LE. Guess which one he would choose to ride again....

Ducati 750 Imola Racer, '74 750 Super Sport And PS1000 LE - The Holy Trinity - Paul Smart

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/d...ty-paul-smart/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 6:21 am

I was hoping hed pick that one, but I mean realistically were talking decades and decades of technological advances in motorcycles. Even though the engine may not be as inspiring, brakes and suspension alone have come a long way and pair those with modern rubber. It just makes it all too easy to ride and its why Valentino Rossi and other old school racers have something to say about racing now with traction control, abs, and the like.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 10:20 am

I am fortunate to own both a bevel Duc and a S1K. And as Mr. Smart states, the modern bike is far better as a motorcycle than the vintage bevel if you only check the stats, but I'd be hard pressed to choose my favorite. They are very different but both are great fun to ride. They weigh about the same but the S1K has probably 20-25 more HP. My bevel starts first kick pretty much every time. I think you could probably push the kicker with your hand and start it because it's so easy to swing through. It makes chunky street useable torque everywhere in the power band and engine feels very relaxed when you ride. It corners impeccably but it is slow to change lines because of the long wheelbase. And I love the right foot first gear up shift pattern since it confuses modern riders. The S1K engine revs faster and the modern 4P4P calipers I have installed have considerably more stopping power than the bevel, but in the real world the bevel is a very good motorcycle especially considering it's 46 years old. The bevel is relaxed and the DS1000 is considerable more frenetic, but it's nice to be able to ride and compare the first and just about last of the classic air cooled 2 valve Ducs. They are both great engines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170815_104314867_HDR.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	947443  

'73 Ducati Bevel Drive 750 GT |'74 Norton Commando Roadster |'96 Ducati 900 Super Sport/SP | '06 Sport 1000 Monoposto

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 9:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraDuc View Post
I am fortunate to own both a bevel Duc and a S1K. And as Mr. Smart states, the modern bike is far better as a motorcycle than the vintage bevel if you only check the stats, but I'd be hard pressed to choose my favorite. They are very different but both are great fun to ride. They weigh about the same but the S1K has probably 20-25 more HP. My bevel starts first kick pretty much every time. I think you could probably push the kicker with your hand and start it because it's so easy to swing through. It makes chunky street useable torque everywhere in the power band and engine feels very relaxed when you ride. It corners impeccably but it is slow to change lines because of the long wheelbase. And I love the right foot first gear up shift pattern since it confuses modern riders. The S1K engine revs faster and the modern 4P4P calipers I have installed have considerably more stopping power than the bevel, but in the real world the bevel is a very good motorcycle especially considering it's 46 years old. The bevel is relaxed and the DS1000 is considerable more frenetic, but it's nice to be able to ride and compare the first and just about last of the classic air cooled 2 valve Ducs. They are both great engines.
Good lookin duo!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 1:59 am

Thanks for posting that, very good to read.

I too own a bevel (900S2) and a GT1000, but it is the bevels that grab me. I've had numerous belt Ducatis and sold every one (except the GT) because I can't get on with the snatchy transmission; the bevels just pull in any gear and at any revs, although they do not rev like the belt engines.

Ducati GT1000, Ducati 900S2 Bevel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode