To those still using the stock tail light...don't lose it like me - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Dec 1st, 2017, 7:28 pm Thread Starter
Tag

Unhappy To those still using the stock tail light...don't lose it like me

Lost the red lens cover on the stock tail light assembly on the last ride, evidently. Didn't notice til I got back and was looking at a white brake light in a silver cone. I believe the red plastic lens is just glued to the internal silver reflective cone, so if you're still using the stock configuration, you may want to pull it out of the black assembly and reinforce the seam with some super glue or some similar adhesive. See missing part in attached image in case none of that makes sense ha. Figured I'd save some of y'all a bit of hassle down the line...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ducati-sport-classic-tail-light-lens.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	876241  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 4th, 2017, 7:33 am

Garage
There is a small screw that secures the red plastic lens to the housing. However, it does not fit snuggly and retains a little movement. I constantly check mine to ensure it has not worked itself lose. I used some industrial double sided tape on the inside lip of the housing. Seems to be working fine for the last 3 years or so.
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Ducati used to have just the Tail light lens and reflector for sale but now you have to get the tail light with the black housing #12. This is about $140 new. Not bad.
There are two small Phillips head screws holding that on. Only one of the screws are shown in the image.
These Phillips head screws will strip if you do not use a good screwdriver so be carful.
If the screw is not aligned and screwed in to the lens correctly. It will come loose. I've seen many that show up here at the shop loose or stipped and it usually happens when replacing the bulb

These do come up on eBay now and then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Lost the red lens cover on the stock tail light assembly on the last ride, evidently. Didn't notice til I got back and was looking at a white brake light in a silver cone. I believe the red plastic lens is just glued to the internal silver reflective cone, so if you're still using the stock configuration, you may want to pull it out of the black assembly and reinforce the seam with some super glue or some similar adhesive. See missing part in attached image in case none of that makes sense ha. Figured I'd save some of y'all a bit of hassle down the line...

2006 PS1000LE
2006 Carbon Thruxton Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in