Header Wrap Advice - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 12:20 am Thread Starter

Header Wrap Advice

I just got a roll of 1" 50' header wrap for my PS and I have a few questions before installing it.

1. If I remove the headers am I gonna need to get new gaskets

2. Should I use the hose clamps or the the stainless steel zip ties that sometimes come in header wrap kits

3. What paint brand have you used and or would you recommend even doing it.

I figured it will probably be easier and the wrap will come out looking a lot better if I take off the headers. Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated. I've been reading all the other threads about header wrap on this forum but no one really addressed taking off the headers in detail.

thanks.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 7:52 am

Mike,

You don't need to remove the header to wrap it. I got the stainless zip ties but ended up using some hose clamps. I also "sprayed" it with the high temp black silicon paint that they sell with the wrap. I sprayed the paint into a small container, then used a brush to paint the wrap. Don't forget to soak the wrap in water before wrapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOKITER View Post
I just got a roll of 1" 50' header wrap for my PS and I have a few questions before installing it.

1. If I remove the headers am I gonna need to get new gaskets

2. Should I use the hose clamps or the the stainless steel zip ties that sometimes come in header wrap kits

3. What paint brand have you used and or would you recommend even doing it.

I figured it will probably be easier and the wrap will come out looking a lot better if I take off the headers. Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated. I've been reading all the other threads about header wrap on this forum but no one really addressed taking off the headers in detail.

thanks.
Mike
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 8:31 am

ct mazi is right, on soaking it first, it will work much better wet!

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31124&dateline=136720  6041

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 10:27 am

I used all dei products. they were in my local cycle gear store. Paint, clamps and wrap.
http://www.motosport.com/street/prod...talogId=114273

I did not replace gaskets. I don't have too many miles, maybe 300 and it is holding up well.

07 Ducati Sport 1000 SE, 09 KTM EXC 530, 07 Yamaha R6
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 11:30 am

I bought my bike with the wrap already installed, but here is some motivation:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Ok guys, school me, I am interested in header wraps to..... Whats the deal, whats the benefit, pros, and cons, besides the badass looks?

Current: 13' Hyperstrada

Past: 12' KLR 650, 07' Sport Classic GT1000, 06' Ninja 650R
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 11:36 pm
Prolific Poster Award

I'm going to wrap the vertical pipes on my 999R in order to stop the extreme heat blasting my right calf. I get a large red burn there everytime I ride for some distance. It doesn't make sense to wrap the Paul Smart, its a naked bike so the heat isn't contained.

There is some chatter regarding the possible danger of a partial wrap, I don't know the details though.

Present:08 1800 Goldwing,03 999R#189,Past:03 FLHRI Road King, 09 1125CR Buell, 07 1100S MTS, 04 999S, 95 916, 01 900SS, 05 600RR, 05 600RR totalled, 66 650 BSA, 68 Honda DOHC

Ducati-Owners-Group of Sacramento region.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 1:20 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a shot wrapping 'em up with the pipes on.

ct mazi, thanks for the painting tip. I was wondering how one would paint the pipes/wrap while they were still on the bike.

geogolf, I'm mostly covering the pipes to help the hot leg. I also like the looks and it's a good way to get rid of some scratches without getting new pipes.

I'll probably get time to do the pipes the end of next week after the new baby's born. Gotta get the bike looking good for the West Coast SC ride comin up.

Mike
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Some of the advantages besides, looks and insulation are that they keep more heat in the header and in theory this draws the hot gases out more efficiently and faster.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2009, 6:45 am

its so much easier if you take the headers off. i think you'll get a tighter wrap that way. Its simple, a few bolts. Plus it will give you a chance to clean up the header bolts to the cylinder head and put some anti seize on. Mine were rusted badly.
I did not replace gaskets either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOKITER View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a shot wrapping 'em up with the pipes on.

ct mazi, thanks for the painting tip. I was wondering how one would paint the pipes/wrap while they were still on the bike.

geogolf, I'm mostly covering the pipes to help the hot leg. I also like the looks and it's a good way to get rid of some scratches without getting new pipes.

I'll probably get time to do the pipes the end of next week after the new baby's born. Gotta get the bike looking good for the West Coast SC ride comin up.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode