Re-packed Termignoni cans... - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Re-packed Termignoni cans...

I just repacked my Termignoni cans. Lately it seemed like the bike was getting a little raspy, and I was sure I could do a better job, and with a better product, myself than what was done at the factory. I wanted that deep tone that Ducatis are famous for, and the pipes always seemed a little too baritone for me. For some reason the Termis kit for the Sport bipostos sounds better, as do the original Termi 2-into-2 kit for the ’06 bikes.

I did some research and ordered 2, 450 gram bags of “Silent Sport” muffler packing. I got it from powersportsuperstore.com (they seemed to have the best prices/shipping:
http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/.../tr34-4226.htm

I wanted the rivets to look stock, so I ordered these:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#order-history/=f3wco

I wanted stainless steel, and I wanted the ends closed off so no exhaust could escape from the rivets. Picky I know. It bit me later.

When the parts got in I knew my little rivet gun wouldn’t pop those heavy rivets, so I borrowed a bigger gun from a friend. I drilled out the rivets and removed the bands. The end caps came out easily enough; I just used a piece of scrap wood and a hammer to gently tap them out. I removed all the stock packing. They were much more heavily packed than I thought, but the packing seemed cheap, and was definitely burned/matted in some areas where it had turned very dense. I got the inner perforated tube out of one of the pies, but couldn’t get it out of the other. Everything is just kind of pressed together, nothing complicated. The first section of the perf tube is wrapped in heavy steel wool.

The Silent Sport packing is very yarn-like. I wrapped sections of it around the perf tubes (with them both installed in the cans) and then used a wooden dowel to push it down and pack the mufflers I just kept going until I could barley keep it in place at the end. I then put a small wrap around the end caps and re-installed them. I ended up using about 1 and 1/2 bags of the new packing.

Just used a piece of wood and hammer to get things settled back in, and then started the rivets, being careful to align the band the right way. This is where I had trouble. The gun I borrowed wouldn’t even come close to popping the rivets I got. I guess between the stainless steel and the closed ends, they were just too tough.

So, it was off to Harbor Freight Tools, the dollar store for guys, to get an even bigger riveter.
I found and bought this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41291

The new riveter worked like a charm (once I took it apart and put it back together correctly that is)! Got the pipes back together and fired her up….

Sounds GREAT! Not a completely different sound or anything, but definitely less raspy, and deeper. Sounds closer to my buddy’s Arrow pipes on his Monster that I love, but a bit quieter. Plus, Silent Sport claims less weight, which is definitely true. I don’t know if I used less packing or what, but the stock stuff I pulled out was definitely heavier. I would say at least a pound less weight in each can, maybe more. Sounds really good going down the road.

Sorry, no pics or weights taken, just thought some might like the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 1st, 2009, 8:49 pm

very cool dp, there's an art to packing cans for sure. i've heard the old adage "loose is quiet, tight is loud" in that the tighter you pack 'em, the less they absorb the sound pulses - but if it's too loose there isn't the density of material to get good dampening either.

sounds like you got it right.

i'm used to my two-stroke dirt bikes where you're re-packing because they get soaked with oil - slimy, nasty crud in the cans...

looking forward to hearing them in person one day!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:55 am

Dude - this is a total DP projekt. At this point is there anything on your bike you haven't completely torn apart?

-J
---------------------------------
Memento Mori

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:05 pm

I tried to use a couple cartidges from moose racing to pack my 2-1. The bend in the pipe proved to be a real pain in the nuts. I ended up pulling the packing loose and pushing it in by hand. A buddy of mine who races for KTM told me to be careful of packing too tight as it would compromise torque. I did what he said and everything seems great. Those stainless rivets are fun huh? It's tough to find them somewhere you don't have to buy a 500 count.
How many miles did you replace yours at Dietrich?
Has anybody else replaced theirs?
My street bike is at 10,000 miles now and because I have everything I need to do it and a few months before riding, I might tackle it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

My bike has 31,700 miles on it now. To be honest, the pipes probably didn't need to be repacked. The stock packing was still intact and there is a lot of it in there. Maybe too much. It's just that once I start thinking about something, I can't let it go until I find out for myself.... I am happy with the results though, it does sound better, and not too much money involved, including the purchase of a new tool!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-DUC View Post
Dude - this is a total DP projekt. At this point is there anything on your bike you haven't completely torn apart?
Oh god don't tempt him.

"Hhmm I wonder which brand crank bearings Ducati use...?"

"Maybe I can make my bike just a little bit more..."

Big valves
Race cams
Port & polishing
PCIII
Black heads & barrels
CF belt covers
Ohlins forks
2-2 Termis
TPO-R Beast stacks and K&N filters
lightened flywheel
open WET clutch with polished pressure plate
Dymag 3 spoke magnesium wheels
gold 4 piston Brembo brakes and gold disks
black CRG levers long on left and short on right
Oberon turn signals and bar end mirrors
PIAA headlight bulb
wrap-around LED tail lights
dry carbon hugger
gold 520 chain and sprockets
lowered gauges
relocated and replaced horns
frame and axle sliders
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 3:46 pm

Stripped my Termis today ready for ceramic coating. I was a bit surprised to see so little exhaust packing in the exhausts.

When I put them back together I intend to follow Dietrichs' advise above, I'll try to get more packing in right down to the bend in the perforated pipe, and pack it tight as per GTRossis' advice.

Anybody have any observations. Is the amount of packing in the pictures normal for 2-2 Termis, this is the first time they've been stripped, I've had the pipes from new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	103759   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg
Views:	1033
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	103760   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	103761   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	103762   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	103763  

Old Jan 14th, 2012, 6:07 pm

Not a commercial (promise) but I talked to Mike at MJS Performance. Great guy and great product. He'll give you credit for swapping out your cans for his. MJS Performance - Welcome

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.--Socrates
The Official Ducati.ms thread closer...
2008--1098S
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Now why would I want to do that from the UK?

Zircotec high performance coatings, ceramic coatings, engine, automotive, motorsport, exhaust manifold and header coatings.

I've got a good supplier to do the coating. It would cost a fortune sending exhausts back and forth to the USA.
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 2:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisanoracer View Post
Not a commercial (promise) but I talked to Mike at MJS Performance. Great guy and great product. He'll give you credit for swapping out your cans for his. MJS Performance - Welcome

Sorry but MJS cans are ugly, wont fit the SC look, Tell them to design ones that would go with our bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in