Sport 1000 vs 900SS vs SFS vs 999 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 4:49 pm Thread Starter

Sport 1000 vs 900SS vs SFS vs 999

Hi Guys

After much back and forth I am finally in the cusp of jumping into the Duc fray. I have been riding for about 18 years and most of it on British bikes or BMW R1200GS. Now that I have moved to a place where the weather is rideable all year and there are some awesome mountain roads to ride on I want to get a sports bike.

I am very fond of naked street bikes. Probably because it harks back to my Enfield days. I am torn between the Sport 1000, Streetfighter 1098 S, 900SS for an eventual Walt Siegl cafe racer coversion. And as a wild card the 999R which is the only Duc sports bike that really appeals to me from an ergonomics and 5-600 mile a day ride ability. I regularly do 200-250 miles of twisties on my GS and longer tours as well.

The Sport Classic line appeals to me for the air cooled engine, the simplicity, lack of electronics and the looks. But I will need to put money into it to upgrade the suspension (I am a big [email protected]' & 250lbs) and the wheels. I tried the PS but that's an ergonomic nightmare for me. The naked line looks good.

The SFS is the modern naked bike with tons of character. I have never ridden one but from what I read it's good for mountains but not great as a daily commuter and 300+ mile rider. I am also not 100% sold on the looks. The headlamp is a bit weird looking in my eyes.

The 900SS appeals to me for only two reasons 1. Because it's carbed and fully mechanical 2. It's a good platform to go the cafe racer route. Downside is that it's an old bike with known frame cracking issues and even with the 944 big bore I might get at most 80-90 hp

The 999R is the wild card here. I haven't ridden it but I have straddled one and it fit me like a glove. The short stroke engine is amazing. I like its looks and I genuinely believe that the 999R was the last time (MH900e and Superleggera not withstanding) that Duc made a price no object bike.

So which one would be your pick and why. For parity I am asking this same question in the SF and Sportsbike sections too.

Many thanks for your feedback in advance.

Best,
PK.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 14th, 2016, 7:34 pm

For me I see two options: The sport classic or 999r. I ruled out the 900s because it is going to be a project. Having owned a 900s I also know that while it is in limbo they are pretty fun to ride but no where as enjoyable as my sport classic. I have ridden a couple of SFS and having ridden those the 999r has all the same feelings and riding feel, just much cooler and a better value for the money. The business side of me took the SFS out of contention. The sport classic is the only bike I still own after having many, 6 at one time, in my garage.

It is a bike that like the 999r is not seen a whole lot when I go riding and it is always something people want to talk to me about. The reason the sport classic takes the win for me here is that it is equally fun to ride slow stuck behind traffic in the canyons as it is when you are ripping on it when they are not backed up. My 999s was terrible to ride slow when traffic made it that way. On any given day I could ride the 999r or sport classic 500-600 miles.
Final order for me:
1. Sport Classic 2. 999r 3.SFS 4. 900s
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 8:53 pm

I have owned all 4 at one point or another... The SS is the least fun bike of that group, and I have always preferred the Monster 900 to the 900SS mainly for the comfort reason. The classic is a very cool looking bike, and is an attention getter, and in my opinion a better rider then the SS. The SFS, is with out a doubt, the bike you will enjoy riding the most, lots of power and a riding position that you can ride all day. The 999R is great for track riding, far from comfortable, gets real hot in traffic, but is a really nice piece in a collection.

Old Apr 15th, 2016, 12:13 am

Totally biased here, owning both an 07 SC1000s and a Paul Smart, but I got to vote for the sc1000. I love the ds1000 engine and how they handle, not to mention the looks but that's subjective. Not too many bikes that you can buy and ride and if for some reason decide to sell, pretty much get all of your money back and maybe a little extra. Good luck in your decision, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 7:22 am

Garage
The ergos for the Sport are the same as the Paul Smart -- awful for distance. A Sport Classic GT would be the path to take if you want a SC but also have something that you can ride for longer periods.

Is it the 900SS the only bike you want to eventually convert to a Walt S. or would it be whatever bike you eventually get from your list?

Toby
2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 monoposto(click me) |2014 Diavel Strada Ti | '72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top | '76 VW Riviera Sundowner 2.0L, family camper | '95 VW Jetta GL 2.0L, Close-ratio tranny, LSD, modified engine
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Cooled_Nut View Post
The ergos for the Sport are the same as the Paul Smart -- awful for distance. A Sport Classic GT would be the path to take if you want a SC but also have something that you can ride for longer periods.

Is it the 900SS the only bike you want to eventually convert to a Walt S. or would it be whatever bike you eventually get from your list?
Personally I found my sport (when it was stock) to be very comfortable over long distances. The seat is wide and supportive and at speed the air supports your chest. I usually have tank bag which can also give you a break on long boring stretches. But I find it horrible as a commuter/in-town run about.

ps. biposto clips are significantly higher than the Paul Smart or monoposto.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 9:39 am

How about a 1000DS Supersport as the basis for the Walt Siegel project.

The same great motor of the SC, ÷hlins shock as standard and much improved forks over the Carbed SS and plenty of UGLY Bodywork (that you would junk anyway) that keeps the prices low enough to leave plenty of cash left over for the build!?

Just an idea.

Chris

1992 900SSie, Moto Guzzi V50 Monza, Vespa PX192
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 1:48 pm
DGJ

my two cents:

I own a Sport Classic Biposto with upgraded suspension, wheels and brakes, and I also own a 05 999S, though not an R, it's a pretty incredible bike.

If I had to pick one to keep between the two I would be stumped. They are both incredibly different rides and are both amazing for their own reasons.

The 999S is way more comfortable than the classic, and it's my ride of choice for spirited canyon rides. Very nibble, endless straight torque curve, superb engine, well balanced, I can go on. Really a dream to ride. I've owned it for about a year and 1/2 and put 2500 miles on it.

I have owned my classic since 2007 (bought it new) and have put 33K miles filled with multiple-day rides across the southwestern states and in Europe. So it's more than doable with the right suspension, (I have olhins shocks in the back and showa forks from an S4R and a comfort seat), but it's still slightly back breaking.

the DS1000 is a thing of beauty, the power delivery is super smooth and it's plenty quick. However if you're after the "rocketship" feeling, it will tap out eventually. Having said that it's more than anyone could ever need on public roads, it's robust and simple, and requires less maintenance than the more complex testastretta.

My only reticence with taking the 999S on a multi-day ride is the fear that it may not make it without any problems. Not to say that the bike isn't reliable, it's really never given me any issues, but it's more fragile and frankly, not designed for touring. Maybe that's all in my head.

300+ miles a day on the naked classic will test your neck, so you might want to explore a screen option.

For the use you describe I would look for an SC, but basically I think you really need both bikes to be fully happy. If you're considering a Walt Siegel then you can certainly afford both.

[*]'07 Ducati Sport Classic Sport1000 Biposto, Black [*]'05 Ducati 999s, Black (sold)[*]'18 KTM 1290 SuperAdventure S, Black[*]'14 KTM 1190 RC8R, White/Orange/Black
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 5:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. Please keep them coming.

Looks like the 900SS is definitely out of the contention. I looked at a few 900ss's for sale locally and most of them either had frame cracks beginning to show or frame cracks that had been fixed (and these were mostly 95 and above bikes). I didnt consider the 1000ss (thanks for the ideaChris)..and will read up more about it

The SC is a unique proposition for me because unlike the PS (which I have ridden once) the ergos can be tweaked a little bit with bar risers and rear sets. That isnt possible on the PS because of the faring intereference. The thing that gets me about the SC is that I will still need to cough up another $4-5K bring it up to snuff on the handling front (wheels, forks, rear shocks, dampers, aluiminium tank, etc). It will still likely hold its value in the long run but I dont speculate and I prefer to ride my bikes

The 999 seems to have divided opinions as a commute/ city bike. I heard feedback on my other post as well that the 999 gets very hot and will be a bitch to ride plus it has iffy electricals..some other folks posted that its a breeze to ride.

The SFS seems pretty lucrative to me at this point with the exception of its wonky fuelling and the same tank expansion issue that plagues the SC. It has the insane motor, the suspension and it feels like a bike with a lot of character.

If any of you is based in the SF Bay area and has one of these bikes and wouldnt mind giving me a chance to ride it..I would love to meet up. You can take my R1200GS for a spin :P

@Air_Cooled_Nut , chris900ssie: On the Walt Siegl mod, I am pretty certain that I will go that route only if I get a 900ss or a 1000ss (which is a pretty good idea as well). The 999R is too nice a bike to be cafe'd and the SC pretty much nails it (with the exception of the arse) in my mind for a naked cafe bike. The SFS is a different animal for cafe racer transformation. Aesthetically I am from the school of thought that a good cafe bike should have the tank, seat and tail in one horizontal line parallel to the ground. I dont think the frame of the SFS would allow that without a frame change. And there is a certain edginess to the SFS design which in my limited vision doesnt lend to a cafe conversion. I dont think I will go the Walt Siegl route for the 999 or SC or the SFS

Best,
PK
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Oh and one more thing..assuming all things equal between two bikes (both having maintenance records or both not having maintenance records) how many miles is too much on a aircooled and watercooled Duc engine?

My hunt is turning up bikes in the 10 - 15K mile range. Not sure if this is too much..especially for a high strung engine like the 999R and SFS

Thanks.

Best,
PK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in