Tank Problems - Yes or No - Page 8 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
View Poll Results: Are you having problems with your tank?
Yes, I am having problems with my tank. 366 66.79%
No, I am not having problems with my tank. 182 33.21%
Voters: 548. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2008, 3:17 pm
And always WFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowerthan View Post
The bike has always been stored indoors, in an unheated space, and was never left outside to bake in the sun.
I probably should mention my bike has also been stored in a heated garage with no direct sunlight since the day I bought it. I've never even washed it with water, so I doubt the problem is moisture related. I should add that on the few occasions that it's sat outside in the sun, such as having lunch while out riding, the growth I've referenced grows to about an inch in size. Once the tank cools down, the growth shrinks back down to its original size.

07 Ducati Sport Mono SE #13 (sold to a better home)
08 KTM 690 SMC
06 KTM 560 SMR
82 Suzuki RM250Z (the never ending restoration goes on)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2008, 11:13 pm
ian

I was really, really hoping my bike was not affected.........but tonight we went for a ride and my tank is warping. I don't have any small bubbles like some, just both sides seem to be "popping" up. I'm really afraid of what it will look like in 6 months to a year.

For reference - my bike is in a climate controlled garage, in Dallas (not too wet, not too dry), and has less than 1,400 miles. But it is one of the first PS's produced.....so I guess I was lucky to make it this long.

2007 S2R 800
2006 PS1000LE

post #73 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2008, 12:29 am

Garage
Just curious, anyone have a full custom paint job (i.e. not just an added stripe or other highlight) *and* experiencing the tank spreading or other deformation(s)?

FWIW, our bike is 2 1/2 years old, has 7400 miles on it and the tank is tight on its mounts with no detectable slack or movement. The stock tank never saw use as all the painted parts were shipped off for painting prior to taking delivery of the bike.

'17 Motus MST
'07 GT1000

post #74 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2008, 11:58 am Thread Starter

Just a thought . . . I wonder if the bubbles are caused when fuel seeps through the plastic tank and pushes the paint out away from the tank? I was looking at the paint around the fuel opening and the paint seems to be pretty thick and pliable/elastic.

I have no idea what would cause the tank to spread.

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville
post #75 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 5:21 pm

Once upon a time, I was chief mechanic for an EBC Endurance AMA Yamaha racing team (Team Magic/Anderson Racing). The owner, and main rider was a fellow by the name of Jan Svensson. He is an engineer and has worked with a lot of materials related to motorcycles. He now races a Ducati in AHRMA's Battle of the Twins. Jan makes his own fuel tanks out of carbon fibre. I talked to him today about the possibility of ethanol causing problems with our tanks. He seems to think this is a possibility as he uses Kreem in his carbon fibre tanks due to additives in the fuel such as ethanol making his carbon fibre tanks "soft". It is his recommendation that I Kreem my new tank before I install it.

Thought you might like to know.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

Ride Safe.

Garry W. Bird, YMRacing
AHRMA, CCS #72
post #76 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMRacing View Post
Once upon a time, I was chief mechanic for an EBC Endurance AMA Yamaha racing team (Team Magic/Anderson Racing). The owner, and main rider was a fellow by the name of Jan Svensson. He is an engineer and has worked with a lot of materials related to motorcycles. He now races a Ducati in AHRMA's Battle of the Twins. Jan makes his own fuel tanks out of carbon fibre. I talked to him today about the possibility of ethanol causing problems with our tanks. He seems to think this is a possibility as he uses Kreem in his carbon fibre tanks due to additives in the fuel such as ethanol making his carbon fibre tanks "soft". It is his recommendation that I Kreem my new tank before I install it.

Thought you might like to know.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

Ride Safe.
Thanks for the input. Maybe if all of us pool our knowledge and opinions we will come up with an answer.

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville
post #77 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2008, 7:49 am

Question

I have a couple questions.

After reporting my tank problem to my dealer sometime in mid-october. I called yesterday and he finally said he has the tank and can schedule an install. I asked if i could pick up the tank and just install it myself and said that i could not because this is a warranty issue. Has anyone installed their own replacement tank?

I am going to ask for the old tank back. Has everyone kept their old deformed tanks or does ducati keep it because it is a defective item or something like that?

Also, i want to coat the tank. can i apply these coatings after i add gas and then drain or does it have to be a "virgin" tank. has anyone done this on these tanks, any tips preferred products besides kreem? I have coated vintage metal tanks before, never plastic.

thank you,
happy holidays
post #78 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2008, 8:08 am

If it's a warranty replacement the dealer may have to keep the tank for awhile just in case Ducati wants it back to look it over. I guess I better look at my tank more closely because at this point it seems fine. Like most of the Paul Smarts mine lives a sheltered life.....they really shouldn't be doing this. I wonder if DNA will replace it as it's now out of warranty.

Bob Hancock
Blairsville, GA
'12 MTS 1200
'10 R1200GS
'09 F800GS
'09 DRZ400S
post #79 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2008, 8:47 pm
And always WFO

I heard back from my dealer yesterday regarding replacing my tank and DNA has given their OK on it. To help answer some of your questions Timdog, I was told I had to bring the bike in and have them perform the swap and Ducati also wants the tank back. I can understand why they need to do this. I had a 2004 ZX-10R at one point, and there was a recall on the front rim, which had a tendency to break . The dealer had to perform the replacement and send it back to Kawasaki because 1) they didn't want the liability of having a customer screw-up the install of the front rim and 2) they wanted to eliminate any chance that the rim would get resold as a used part to an unsuspecting buyer. I've had similar situations with a ZX-12R and a Yamaha Roadstar, where work was done under warranty/recall.

As far as coating the inside of the tank, I remember reading something as it relates to restoring plastic tanks on vintage motocross bikes. It's difficult to install new tank decals on these bikes as the gas fumes tend to seep out and cause the decals to bubble and peel (sound familiar?). Someone had come up with a cleaning/coating process that worked pretty well for them, which I was going to follow in restoring my vintage MX bike. I can't seem to find it at the moment (I know it's in my favorites somewhere), but when I do I'll report back.

07 Ducati Sport Mono SE #13 (sold to a better home)
08 KTM 690 SMC
06 KTM 560 SMR
82 Suzuki RM250Z (the never ending restoration goes on)
post #80 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 2008, 3:47 pm

When I went in to get my tank fixed for the speading thats what the dealer told me was the problem was the "corn" ( ethanol ) we put in the tanks here in the US. They just shimed out the Fwd mounts and it is ok now but just the other day I saw another problem. There is starting to get bulges on the outside of the tank so big that you can see and feel them. I am going to go back to the dealer and show them next week. The problem is that if they replace the tank and it is the same material then it will do the same thing in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode