Tank Problems - Yes or No - Page 7 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
View Poll Results: Are you having problems with your tank?
Yes, I am having problems with my tank. 366 66.79%
No, I am not having problems with my tank. 182 33.21%
Voters: 548. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2008, 7:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koucki View Post
I was at the dealership (Ducati NY) a month ago, and showed them the disformation. luckily, there was a technician from DNA there that day, and said that it's common for these tanks to get deformed due to misplacement on the chassis... ~k
I've never heard that explanation before. I wonder who you misplace/misalign the tank?

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2008, 10:06 am

agreed, i think its ethenol also.

is there a difference in ethenol content with octane rating? I use low octane gas more often than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Scott View Post
I think the ethanol is the most likely culprit, due to the apparent geographic correlation.

My wife's and my bikes live in a climate-controlled garage when we're not riding them. There's no way our bikes are subject to any adverse conditions, yet our tanks are blown up just like everyone else's.

I'm curious: Of the US residents who haven't (yet) had tank problems, what percentage of those bikes are less than a year old? Hmmm...
post #63 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDog View Post
is there a difference in ethenol content with octane rating? I use low octane gas more often than not.
Nope. You can find upwards of 10% ethanol in all grades of fuel. On the other hand, I just got back from riding in Louisiana and Mississippi and found that some stations I stopped at claimed no ethanol in the lowest grade of fuel, and charged more for the 87 octane than the mid-grade 89 octane.

Oh, and in reference to the post wondering about how bikes are treated, when not being ridden mine is in a temperature controlled garage, and I don't use if for commuting.

Garry W. Bird, YMRacing
AHRMA, CCS #72

post #64 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2008, 1:06 pm

I never had issues with other poly tanks I had in the past from storing in my garage with no climate control. Of course, this is my first Ducati. Maybe there's an excuse built in.

2015 Ducati Monster 821
2008 Kawasaki ZX14
post #65 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2008, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie View Post
I never had issues with other poly tanks I had in the past from storing in my garage with no climate control. Of course, this is my first Ducati. Maybe there's an excuse built in.
If it's an excuse, it won't work..my tank has spread and bubbled.

Garry W. Bird, YMRacing
AHRMA, CCS #72
post #66 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2008, 11:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMRacing View Post
You can find upwards of 10% ethanol in all grades of fuel.
Actually, you can find even more than 10% in fuel. Most companies use what is called "splash blending". A tanker truck pulls into a terminal and fills up with fuel. Then ethanol is then added to the tank. (Or it could be ethanol first and then fuel.) The gasoline and ethanol are supposed to mix as the tanker rolls down the road. It isn't a very scientific/accurate method. There have been checks at various service stations and fuel has been found with as much as 20% ethanol!

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville
post #67 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2008, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by geospencer View Post
There have been checks at various service stations and fuel has been found with as much as 20% ethanol!
And that's the truth. I live about 3 miles from a blending station that supplies the service stations in my area. I have been told that there is more ethanol in the fuel than advertised at most pumps.

I ride a Honda TransAlp for a daily commuter. These things were designed to run on the crap in a 3rd world country that passes for petrol. It has even had issues (running wise) with some of the extra alcohol!

Garry W. Bird, YMRacing
AHRMA, CCS #72
post #68 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2008, 9:56 pm
And always WFO

I figured I should add this for the record...

When I first purchased my SC in July '07, I noticed a very slight imperfection in the tank when the light hit it right. It's steadily grown and is now a dime sized pimple (you can see it in the picture directly over the gold stripe). Five other very slight imperfections have also recently appeared in close proximity to the first one. I spoke to my dealer about this problem (I also have a spreading tank) and they indicated DNA has been getting difficult lately about covering tanks under warranty. They also said that since I have a special edition SC, DNA might be even more disinclined to cover it as the tank may not be readily available. So far, I've been asked to send an email detailing my problem along with a picture. A follow-up question was also asked about my bike's mileage (which is relatively low). It's been about a week, so I suspect I should be hearing back on it, soon. Given the eruption of these other small "growths", anything less than a tank replacement is unacceptable. More to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1536.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	656.5 KB
ID:	41013  

07 Ducati Sport Mono SE #13 (sold to a better home)
08 KTM 690 SMC
06 KTM 560 SMR
82 Suzuki RM250Z (the never ending restoration goes on)
post #69 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2008, 7:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFOAlways View Post
When I first purchased my SC in July '07, I noticed a very slight imperfection in the tank when the light hit it right. It's steadily grown and is now a dime sized pimple (you can see it in the picture directly over the gold stripe). Five other very slight imperfections have also recently appeared in close proximity to the first one.
Is that the same imperfection that the rest of you who have tank problems are seeing?

I looked at my tank last night and it appears fine. I don't see any pimples or bubbles and the tank fits tight. There is no spreading.

I think Ducati might be trouble if they refuse to swap tanks. In many states the tank and the rest of the fuel system is covered a lot longer than two years.

By the way, didn't the marine industry faced the same kind of problems with plastic tanks?

Ducati Paul Smart LE
BMW R1200GS
Triumph Bonneville
post #70 of 1129 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2008, 9:47 am

I have an '06 S1000, bought two years ago, with embarrassingly low miles on it. The bike has always been stored indoors, in an unheated space, and was never left outside to bake in the sun.

A few months ago, I discovered a blister about 1.25" across. Took it to the dealer, who took pictures of it to send to DNA, so they could get a replacement approved. Other than the blister, I didn't see any deforming of the tank, and the tank was tight on the chasis.

DNA approved replacement of the tank pretty quickly, and I returned to the dealer once the new tank got in, maybe three weeks later. But in that short time, only a few weeks later, the tank had gotten extremely loose on the chasis. But I still didn't notice any deforming of the tank itself. Anyway, the tank was replaced, and so far, all is good.

Does anyone know if the replacement tanks are any different than the original ones? I'm sort of curious if through time, we can expect to go through this all over again.

Blinged out Yellow '06 SportClassic Sport 1000 Monoposto: Termi 2:2, Ceramic Coated Exhaust, DP Race ECU, Ducshop Hyperstacks, PCIII, SpeedyMoto Clutch Bling, Yoyodyne Clutch Slave, SpeedyMoto Sprocket Cover, Rizoma Timing Belt Covers, DP Bar Risers, Pazzo Racing Levers, Rizoma Billet Grips, Rizoma Bar Ends and Mirrors, Rizoma Reservoirs, National Cycle Fly Screen custom painted, DP Tank Bag/Bra, Storz-Ceriani Steering Damper, Sato Rearsets, Custom Brake Lever Peg by FFR, Nichols Engine Mount Bolts, Nichols Crankcase Cover, GP Fork Cartridges and suspension "magic" by CRST, SuperSprox 14-41 Sprocket/RK 520 Gold Chain Conversion, Alpina STS Tubeless Spoked Wheels, Brembo Gold Line 4 Piston Front Brake Calipers, Feroda Platinum Pads, Galfer Wave Rotors, SSR CNC Gas Cap and Oil Cap, DPCARS Fender Eliminator Kit, Cox Racing Group Oil Cooler Guard.

Certified Peet's Coffee Junkie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode