Out Of Warranty Spreading Tank Problems - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 612 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2008, 6:45 am

"Check your state laws on emission controled devices. A gas tank is classifed as such. In California that would be a 7 or 8 year warrenty on that gas tank. So they would have to replace it.

We used to use the same law to replace leaking monster gas tanks."

The above info is from Sport Classic site.

2015 Ducati Monster 821
2008 Kawasaki ZX14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 612 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2008, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

I shimmed my tank today. After replacing the stock bolts with ones that were slightly longer it took 5 washers on each mounting bolt, 7mm a side, for a total of 14mm, to take up most of the space. The tank still has some slight movement, but to eliminate all movement I would have had to get longer bolts to add any more washers. (I also worry about loading the tank by putting pressure on the mounts if I add too many washers - after all I suppose the tank can only stretch just so much before something gives somewhere on it). I am now going to monitor the tank carefully to see if it continues to get looser. Pretty amazing that the bike had over a 1/4 inch of extra space on each side of the front mountings. The interesting question is whether the bike originally had this much play and I just did not notice it, or whether it has developed over the 2 plus years and 8,700 miles that I have had the bike.

1971TT
2007 GT1000 (14 tooth & Ikons)
1964 Norton 650SS (runs good, but marks its spot)
1974 Rickman 750CR (in progress)
post #13 of 612 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2008, 9:01 pm

I filed a report on my tank.

John

2006 Sport Classic 1000 / 2013 Husqvarna TE 310R / 2015 Multistrada T

post #14 of 612 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2008, 12:31 pm

I just received contact via email from Ducati North America concerning an inquiry I sent them last week. They are going to check the VIN and see if they can help get coverage for the tank and replace it. I, too, have shimmed it up, but the concern is ongoing. This bike is a riot to ride, however!

2015 Ducati Monster 821
2008 Kawasaki ZX14
post #15 of 612 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2008, 4:17 pm

I filed a report too!

thanks for all the info.
post #16 of 612 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2008, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRossi View Post
i flipped my bike last summer I realize this could present a very real danger.
Rossi have you ever heard the phrase keep the rubber side down?

on a serious note does that site show a track of how many complaints have been filed on the same thing? Would be nice to see.

1964 Triton. W/58' Triumph 650
1970 Norton Commando not painted
1999 900ss yellow
2006 sport1000 red monoposto
Way to many vintage VW's <-- the other illness

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”
"Good coffee should be indistinguishable from 50 weight motor oil. "
post #17 of 612 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2008, 12:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by a63buggy View Post
Rossi have you ever heard the phrase keep the rubber side down?
dude... i hear ya. but i just had to see if ducs could really fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by a63buggy View Post
on a serious note does that site show a track of how many complaints have been filed on the same thing? Would be nice to see.
i don't recall a tracking mechanism on the site, but i'm hoping these complaints do something. really, seriously, i'm not the sort to "go after the manufacturer" and i'm not looking for blood from DNA - i'm just concerned that some poor soul is gonna have a crash that ends in a fireball. if these complaints stop even one such incident i will feel we've done the right thing. just think how many riders there are out there who have no idea about this and don't go online - maybe just got this as a first bike and never thought to check the tank mounts. that's what really scares me.

those of us on the forum (especially on this thread) know about this and are doing at least temp fixes. DNA needs to reach out with a recall to the guys that are unsuspectingly riding in a potentially dangerous situation...
post #18 of 612 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Quote:
just think how many riders there are out there who have no idea about this and don't go online -

that's what really scares me.

those of us on the forum (especially on this thread) know about this and are doing at least temp fixes. DNA needs to reach out with a recall to the guys that are unsuspectingly riding in a potentially dangerous situation...
Yeah I hear ya.... I've been reading about it for some time. I checked my tank when I bought it but hadn't checked in awhile....... How do you like that mine's doing it enough to need shims but not falling off yet. Do all our gas companies blend ethanol in their gas? I'm in warranty hoping we figure that out I'll avoid and go only to non ethanol as a test when I get a replacement!

Hmmm flying duc or more like a fast platypus? Looks part duc?

1964 Triton. W/58' Triumph 650
1970 Norton Commando not painted
1999 900ss yellow
2006 sport1000 red monoposto
Way to many vintage VW's <-- the other illness

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”
"Good coffee should be indistinguishable from 50 weight motor oil. "
post #19 of 612 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2008, 8:12 pm

Quote:
dude... i hear ya. but i just had to see if ducs could really fly

i don't recall a tracking mechanism on the site, but i'm hoping these complaints do something. really, seriously, i'm not the sort to "go after the manufacturer" and i'm not looking for blood from DNA - i'm just concerned that some poor soul is gonna have a crash that ends in a fireball. if these complaints stop even one such incident i will feel we've done the right thing. just think how many riders there are out there who have no idea about this and don't go online - maybe just got this as a first bike and never thought to check the tank mounts. that's what really scares me.

Great point. I certainly do not intend to "punish" the manufacturer, but would like a solution to the safety issue. Again, if I have to pay for it, that's the way it goes as long as it puts the safety issue to bed. I think it could do Ducati marketing in the States a great deal of damage if the impression is they do not react to such things. Look how long it's taken Duc to overcome the misconceptions about poor electronics and reliability from the past. I just think it would be good for this issue to be taken seriously by Ducati BEFORE something awful happens. It does seem futile.

2015 Ducati Monster 821
2008 Kawasaki ZX14
post #20 of 612 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2008, 11:58 am

I've filed a report on my tank.

Between the 2006 and 2007 models, it looks like there have been around 16 or 17 complaints filed with NHTSA as of this post. As popular as this subject is, it sure seems like there are plenty people that are aware of the site but not taking the 1 minute to file a statement. PLEASE, take the time to file a complaint.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I love my Ducati, but I would prefer that it was not my tank bag that is holding my bike together.

2007 GT1000

Last edited by Magua X; Nov 21st, 2008 at 12:33 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode