Summary of Sport Classic Suspension and Damper posts - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 12:48 am

Ride to the limit on a SportClassic and you'll wish you bought a 1098 or an 848! I have a 16 year old 851 that just starts to come alive at 5-6000 rpm, right about the time my GT is thinking about running out of poop. The 851 on its lowly Strada Showas handles like its on rails but the GT wobbles at every rain groove in Southern California. BUT...I can cruise around LA, stylin' on the GT in comfort, and even hit the Crest Highway with a bit of confidence - as long as I don't expect race performance. I think that if you're looking for racetrack performance out of a SportClassic, you might want to look elsewhere. It IS a streetbike, after all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 3:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport1000 View Post
Obviously, you aren't going fast enough.

Ride to the limits of your bike and then try it at that same speed on Tony's bike and see if you can tell any difference.
yeah, i'll get right on that.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Thanks for the pin, mods!

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 4:30 am

that's invaluable - currently considering options!
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2008, 6:01 pm

Smile Getting 2009 gt1000 , Saying Aloha from Maui

Aloha. I get my new GT1000 next week. This is my firt post here! I ordered tremmis, headlight fairing, 41 tooth rear and obron mirrors.. Any Sugestions for a new owner, NOT My first bike !!! I am used to 4 cyl hondas.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by corygt View Post
Aloha. I get my new GT1000 next week. This is my firt post here! I ordered tremmis, headlight fairing, 41 tooth rear and obron mirrors.. Any Sugestions for a new owner, NOT My first bike !!! I am used to 4 cyl hondas.

Cory ride the piss out of it and take your evenings to sit and read read read. The more you read what folks have said and the more you ride it the more what you want out of it will be clear to you. Besides wear out some of those parts before you replace them. Get your moneys worth out of it all.

1964 Triton. W/58' Triumph 650
1970 Norton Commando not painted
1999 900ss yellow
2006 sport1000 red monoposto
Way to many vintage VW's <-- the other illness

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”
"Good coffee should be indistinguishable from 50 weight motor oil. "
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2009, 9:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlduck View Post
Ride to the limit on a SportClassic and you'll wish you bought a 1098 or an 848! I have a 16 year old 851 that just starts to come alive at 5-6000 rpm, right about the time my GT is thinking about running out of poop. The 851 on its lowly Strada Showas handles like its on rails but the GT wobbles at every rain groove in Southern California. BUT...I can cruise around LA, stylin' on the GT in comfort, and even hit the Crest Highway with a bit of confidence - as long as I don't expect race performance. I think that if you're looking for racetrack performance out of a SportClassic, you might want to look elsewhere. It IS a streetbike, after all...
Your right mate, they are a great roadbike, but a gutless piece of poo if you want performance . I enjoy the ride of mine if its flowing smooth. Thats what they are all about . My old SSD felt much sharper on the throttle.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2009, 12:18 pm

I had the opportunity to ride my '06 S1K mono back to back with my '02 R1 this week (between downpours...). Although I know some here may be perfectly happy with the stock suspension on our Ducs, the fact is that the difference in ride and handling is very noticeable. Like swapping workboots for sneakers. I love my Ducati, but the factory suspension really is crap. The quality of the Ohlins upgrade understandably commands a high price, but it's ridiculous for DNA to expect its customers to pop for another $4000+ to bring a $12000 bike up to par. Is there an integrated upgrade suspension package available for real world money? Everything else about this bike is a joy. Sucks to be held back for lack of decent suspension.

Bruce

---

'71 Triumph Bonneville Rigid
'71 Norton 750 Commando (in rehab)
'71 Honda CL350 Sportsman racer
'77 Puch Maxi Luxe
'98 HD Road King
'02 Yamaha R1
'06 Ducati Sport Classic Sport 1000

Last edited by Hardball; Jun 18th, 2009 at 2:36 pm.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2009, 9:49 pm

You know, I think a GT will still do a 12 second quarter mile, which is amazing on a general scale of performance. I have a 1098s and I like the power delivery of the GT a lot more for everyday driving. It does everything I ask it to do very well. Yeah the stock suspension is not up to Ohlins grade or fully adjustable Showa, but this bike was the lowest price SC when it came out; suspension costs $. You can revalve and spring it so it is a decent set up, I wish they did in fact put better suspension on it from factory. It does suck.

Monoposto
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2010, 3:17 am

sucks. enough said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode