Summary of Sport Classic Suspension and Damper posts - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2008, 8:33 am

Nice bibliography!

Link for my AK-20 install writeup is wrong. Goes to some thead by a hack named Don.

Should be

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=40883

2006 Sport 1000 Race Bike. SOAR Novice #282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2008, 9:22 am Thread Starter

My apologies

I did call your post "superb". Just cut and pasted the wrong link.

I'd really like to update the original post. I'm sure there are some more corrections, but I can't find the edit button which may not be an option after there are replies, so:

Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 fork cartridges and springs installation tutorial (superb):
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=40883

Note to mod: If you can correct the original post, please do so. Thx.

Jon Snider

Last edited by duct tape; Aug 10th, 2008 at 9:43 am.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2008, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomenNescio View Post
So when you realized your mistakes (1 & 2), you decided against getting one? However, if you do get one, you'll be able to add your own views, opinions and experiences to this long list of references (very nice compilation indeed).

NN
No, I'm getting one, probably the SC 1000. I can't decide on a leftover '06 at the dealer vs. a newer one. Would probably rather have a red than black one, so the shiny black '08 on the floor may be out.

The mistake is what this will do to my budget and my marriage since I have a garage full of dirt bikes and am also lusting after a BMW 800GS.

Jon Snider

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2008, 10:11 am

Give this man a sticky! He's earned it!

But. . . I love the stock suspension on my SC and would not change a thing. I know that not all SCs are created equal, nor are their riders. So, I'd advise first riding the bike until you are used to it, and the suspension is well broken in.

2007 Red Ducati GT1000
2003 Lucifer Orange Triumph Bonneville T-100

Photo: The GT at Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:56 pm

Excellent post.

I humbly submit my (quite incomplete) fork dimensions spreadsheet which I'll try to share somehow for editing when I get back later this week:

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=48528
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...YtQyVCKU4FB3MA
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2008, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomenNescio View Post
So when you realized your mistakes (1 & 2), you decided against getting one? However, if you do get one, you'll be able to add your own views, opinions and experiences to this long list of references (very nice compilation indeed).

NN

No, I tried a Storz steering damper, but it made the bike weave uncontrollably on turns so I ditched it. But I'm using Speedy Moto billet triple clamps w/ tapered bearings, & which extends the forks slightly, so that may be the difference. According to Speedy Moto, their triple clamps eliminate head shake anyway. So far, so good.

5. Install Speedy Moto Monster triple clamps & fabricate bracket for instruments.
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2008, 6:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmgguy View Post
YES INDEED, this thread would've saved me alot of time a few months ago while researching a choice on suspension fixes for me.

Did see all the posts I read to make my choice and even my post after choice made.

Make this a sticky so all members old and new can benefit from this man's work!!!!

Vince

"Any motorcyclist who holds up a line of automobiles on a winding road would be required to sell all fringed accessories, buy some plaid pants and take up golf" Peter Eagan
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2008, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport1000 View Post
Let me see if I can condense this for the slackers among us:

1. Aside from the PS, the stock suspensions on all SCs suck. Period.

2. Install Ohlins, Traxxion/Penske or Showa replacements.

3. Replace stock spoker wheels & tire tubes w/ tubeless forged alloys.

4. Do #3 & #4 and you probably don't even need a steering damper.
Just rolled over 12, 450 miles today on my s1k and i havent done any of this, though i do have 2 steering dampeners attached to my shoulders. Whats going to happen to me?

Today I led a little jaunt with tony nyc with his new traxxion forks and ohlins steering dampener and mike on his rediculously sweet 1098s (ohlins) on the worst freakin road in Harriman Park, NY. buckled pavement, potholes, gravel all in the midst of 15mph hairpins. I'm not exaggerating about this road. All 3 of us are home and happy. so whats the deal?

just chiming in, i dont really want to start another one of these controversial threads.
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2008, 8:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmgguy View Post

But. . . I love the stock suspension on my SC and would not change a thing. I know that not all SCs are created equal, nor are their riders. So, I'd advise first riding the bike until you are used to it, and the suspension is well broken in.

hehehehe good point

there is a lot of discussion on the suspension of our bikes, and while alot of us complain about it im sure there are plenty of silents who are happy riding their bikes and not stressing about things.

take the bike for a good ride first and see what you do or dont like about the bike and go from there.

I have enjoyed the mods i have done to mine and that i was able to stick with mostly duc parts and do it cheapish , but if i had to do it agin i think i would be happy with just the termi and the showa forks

now how much did i spend on this bike again

2002 748 & 2005 ZRX1200R
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 12:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDog View Post
Just rolled over 12, 450 miles today on my s1k and i havent done any of this, though i do have 2 steering dampeners attached to my shoulders. Whats going to happen to me?

Today I led a little jaunt with tony nyc with his new traxxion forks and ohlins steering dampener and mike on his rediculously sweet 1098s (ohlins) on the worst freakin road in Harriman Park, NY. buckled pavement, potholes, gravel all in the midst of 15mph hairpins. I'm not exaggerating about this road. All 3 of us are home and happy. so whats the deal?

just chiming in, i dont really want to start another one of these controversial threads.

Obviously, you aren't going fast enough.

Ride to the limits of your bike and then try it at that same speed on Tony's bike and see if you can tell any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode