Oil Filler Plug / Engine heat - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2008, 11:55 pm Thread Starter
AAL

Oil Filler Plug / Engine heat

I replaced the stock plastic oil filler plug with a nice metal one. Looks, good, but I hadn't thought about how hot they'd get. I guess that's why Ducati uses the plastic in the first place. As a related matter, how hot are your bikes running. Mine got up to about 240 f. bringing it home from the dealer. Seems kind of hot to me. My harley, with no oil cooler, seemed to run no hotter than that. Also, today I seemed to notice a fair amount of heat at my left leg. Nothing crazy, but I hadn't noticed it before. Just asking a lot of questions as my bike's new and I don't have any experience with Ducatis. Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 12:07 am

That doesn't sound bad. When I bought my bike, I went back and talked to the mechanic about what to expect with the machine, and he told me not to freak out when I saw the temp gauge get real high, that it's normal. Said since it is reading oil temp and not water, that customers think it is overheating when they see the temp on the display. And I live in Las Vegas and have had no problems. You're good to go.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 12:24 am

FYI, not that you'd want to see it, but the oil temp display doesn't read "HI" until over 338 degrees F.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 12:32 am

Stuck in traffic mine has gone as high as 135C, which is about 275F. Freaked me out a bit, but I was told not to worry. Cools off pretty quick once moving, too. It's hot here and daytime I'm usually around 105C or 221F when I ride around town, commuting. Evenings it usually doesnt go above 100C, 212F. (No, I'm not a math genius, using an online converter)

GT1000 Gray
Completely stock except for: Dietrichs gauge lowerers and air filter cover, Motivation frame sliders, Rizoma grips and mirrors, custom mono- seat, Cox oil cooler screen, neked belts, black horns, 14t, Pazzo levers, SC front fender, GTRossi rear hugger, RaceTech springs. rear fender eliminated (dpcars)...and unbaffled Termis.
Yamaha 01 FZ1- gone
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 9:24 am

The oil temperature indication was occasionally causing a minor freak out with me, as well. I just switch the window to the clock mode after the engine reaches operating temperature. No more "high" temp indication. Ah, blissfull ignorance! The bike basically can't get hot enough for any damage to take place, assuming the presence of oil and a good oil pump. That's what the oil pressure idiot light is for.

As I've never had a copper oil drain crush washer fail, that's what I use.

2007 Red Ducati GT1000
2003 Lucifer Orange Triumph Bonneville T-100

Photo: The GT at Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2008, 10:07 am

Mine gets to 220 or so in normal riding in hot weather. Stuck in traffic, will go to 275 or so. At around 250-255, sitting still in traffic or a light, the engine makes louder sounds (like belts etc type noise). Goes away at under 250.

In any case, I baby it a bit - if its over 275-280, I'll pull over for a snack and let her cool a bit.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:28 am

Curious about engine noise, do any of your bikes sound (or seem) different when it gets to such high temps?

07 Ducati GT1000 "bear"
07 Triumph Daytona675 "raffy"
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2008, 3:06 pm

Oh yes mine rattles like a bastard when I'm up in desert temps.

When I'm up at around 130 degrees C, so about 265 F, it's sounds like my ancient diesel Jetta. So I stop, have a bit to eat, start it up it sounds like a dream and off I go again.

No temperature problems at all, I've never seen the Hi warning message

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozero View Post
Curious about engine noise, do any of your bikes sound (or seem) different when it gets to such high temps?

Big valves
Race cams
Port & polishing
PCIII
Black heads & barrels
CF belt covers
Ohlins forks
2-2 Termis
TPO-R Beast stacks and K&N filters
lightened flywheel
open WET clutch with polished pressure plate
Dymag 3 spoke magnesium wheels
gold 4 piston Brembo brakes and gold disks
black CRG levers long on left and short on right
Oberon turn signals and bar end mirrors
PIAA headlight bulb
wrap-around LED tail lights
dry carbon hugger
gold 520 chain and sprockets
lowered gauges
relocated and replaced horns
frame and axle sliders
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2008, 3:24 pm

What really freaks me out is, in winter (we have pretty cold winters in my region), when my bike hardly reaches 60ºC (140 ºF). Has it ever happened to you? Has anybody tried to avoid it covering the oil filter?

Saluten!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2008, 4:06 pm

Yes, people have mentioned covering the oil cooler with tape or something else during the cold seasons. I'm definitely going to do that after summer, as it sometimes takes 10-15 minutes to get above "LO" temp.

I wonder how hard/ill-advised it would be to plumb in a bypass circuit behind the oil cooler to take it out of the loop entirely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode