Timing Belt Adjustment - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 9:02 pm Thread Starter

Timing Belt Adjustment

Does anyone have a link to a timing belt adjustment (tension)? A step by step with pictures would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 1:06 am

Believe the belt tension is adjusted based on the vibration frequency so you'll need a tool to measure that. Sorry, that's all I can offer.

Jeff
Red GT1000: - Termis (sans baffles), bar-end mirrors, Clay Carrier fork protectors, Motovation frame & fork sliders, Dietrich's gauge brackets (these rock), Front turn indicator spacers removed, 1.0 kg/mm fork springs, Fork Oil: 7 wt.comp, 5 wt.reb, 15/44 F/R Sprockets, Gold DID Chain, Chain guard removed (to show off the chain)...
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 1:55 am

I gotta ask...is this how the dealer does it? Do they have a freq. measuring tool they use or do they do it by feel or with a gauge tool?

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 7:42 am

Here you go.

http://www.ducatisuite.com/belttension.html

'73 Ducati Bevel Drive 750 GT |'74 Norton Commando Roadster |'96 Ducati 900 Super Sport/SP | '06 Sport 1000 Monoposto
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 8:05 am

If you follow that procedure you will not be on the Spec for the DS motor. It is true that the adjustment is now based on measuring the vibrational frequency, with an infrared sensor, and yes any good dealer with a ducati tech has one.

The DS motors have tighter belt tension than the previous 2Vs. Even a 3-mm hex key won't pass easily between the belt and idler pulley when the tension is properly adjusted.

I got set up inexpensively to measure the vibrational frequency with an audible signal. Not as good as the IR but it can work - I had the dealer check the adjustment after I did it and it was spot on.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthre...adjusted+belts

2006 Sport 1000 Race Bike. SOAR Novice #282

Last edited by YellowDuck; Sep 4th, 2007 at 8:16 am.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 8:31 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the posts!!! This will be great to start with.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:18 am

I dropped my bike off for the 600 mile service today. I did have a look at the belts a few days ago and I could definitely get the 5MM allen wrench between the belt and the tensioner on both cylinders. I will check what they are like when I get it back.

'73 Ducati Bevel Drive 750 GT |'74 Norton Commando Roadster |'96 Ducati 900 Super Sport/SP | '06 Sport 1000 Monoposto
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraDuc
I dropped my bike off for the 600 mile service today. I did have a look at the belts a few days ago and I could definitely get the 5MM allen wrench between the belt and the tensioner on both cylinders. I will check what they are like when I get it back.
Please do that...get back to us. LT Snyder's manual says to tighten until you can just twist the belt 45 degrees in the center of the run. I haven't tried this yet, btw, as my bike is now at 1700 miles.

Bob Hancock
Blairsville, GA
'12 MTS 1200
'10 R1200GS
'09 F800GS
'09 DRZ400S
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraDuc
If you didn't already discuss it with them, you might want to phone and make sure that they intend to check the belts. Even though it is on the list, some dealers skip it at the first service. Mine would have, if I hadn't requested otherwise.

2006 Sport 1000 Race Bike. SOAR Novice #282
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 5:01 pm

140 hertz should be the D string on a guitar (the 4th one from the top). I believe that's a D3 (146.83 hertz). So if you have a guitar nearby you can tune the belt just like you'd tune a guitar. Just pluck the belt and pluck the string. adjust the belt until they ring together.

I've never tried it but it be interesting to give it a shot.

-ducadent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode