Gee, That Was Stupid! - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2007, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

Gee, That Was Stupid!

Just a quick heads up. (Althought I may be the only one to have been this stupid!)

I decided to adjust the shift lever on my new GT1000; it was too low, making me incline my left foot too far for upshifts.

I put the 5mm wrench on the front nut of the shift linkage, and an adjustable spanner on the rear. No luck in loosening the front nut. Figuring it was just jammed (you can see this one coming. . .) I torqued a little too hard and broke the front clevis clean off at the torque tube.

The owners manual did not mention left and right hand threads in this application, and I failed to think it through.

The new part is on its way, and costs $17. I did no other damage, and fortunately there are enough threads left on the front clevis bolt to enable me to jury rig things until the part arrives.

Signed,

"Stupid in Texas"

Ride safe now, hear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2007, 8:47 pm
PAKBIKES

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmgguy
Just a quick heads up. (Althought I may be the only one to have been this stupid!)

I decided to adjust the shift lever on my new GT1000; it was too low, making me incline my left foot too far for upshifts.

I put the 5mm wrench on the front nut of the shift linkage, and an adjustable spanner on the rear. No luck in loosening the front nut. Figuring it was just jammed (you can see this one coming. . .) I torqued a little too hard and broke the front clevis clean off at the torque tube.

The owners manual did not mention left and right hand threads in this application, and I failed to think it through.

The new part is on its way, and costs $17. I did no other damage, and fortunately there are enough threads left on the front clevis bolt to enable me to jury rig things until the part arrives.

Signed,

"Stupid in Texas"

Ride safe now, hear?
If it makes you feel any better I have a shift linkage sitting in my pencil jar on my work bench that I sheared off for the same reason.
Please don't tell ANYONE!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2007, 9:09 pm
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for the heads up on that one! I'm thinking to adjust mine too. Sure wish a GT shop manual was available...

805 Ducati Owners Club (805DOC)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2007, 9:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrafx2006
Thanks for the heads up on that one! I'm thinking to adjust mine too. Sure wish a GT shop manual was available...
Adjustment is a real piece of cake. Just loosen the locking nuts in bright light so that you have the pitch direction all figured out before you torque anything. Then, run the locking nuts all the way out, and adjust the pedal by spinning the torque tube with your fingertips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode