Sport Classic Instrument Cluster Problems - Solution - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 13th, 2013, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

Sport Classic Instrument Cluster Problems - Solution

I just purchased a 2006 Sport Classic. I had an intermittent tach needle that would fluctuate upon power up, and during riding. It was not a wiring issue, and the bike would run fine. I did a little research on here, but did not really find a solution – so I came up with one.

In my case, the stepper motors were at fault. This seems to be the common problem with these bikes. Some of the members have sent in the instrument clusters to Mr. Whizard. This seems to be a great option, if you are not able to do a little soldering. Average repair price is around $260.

My option – replace the motors myself. The motors are manufactured by Switech / Juken. The model number you will see on the back of the motors is X15-689. There are also some other numbers, but these are just tracking numbers. X15 symbolizes the size and style (front mount). The 689 symbolizes the type and electronic portion. Switech doesn't make the X15 anymore, but have no fear, the X25 and X27 are fully compatible. So order the X27-689. The motors are $12 each. I recommend replacing both the speedometer and tachometer motors at the same time.

How to do this (if you can’t do any of these steps without pictures, send the cluster in):
- Pull your instrument cluster off the bike.
- Disassemble the outer housing.
- Carefully pry the needles off the motor stems.
- Pull off the white front gauge face.
- Remove the circuit board from the outer housing.
- You will see two white stepper motors on the back of the board (pictured).
- Un-solder the 4 connections for each motor.
- Drop in the two new motors, and solder them in place.
- Re-assemble the unit, except the front glass bezel. The white face should be on. Loosely put on the two needles.
- Connect the cluster to the bike.
- Turn the bike on (don’t start) – the needles should do a sweep.
- Rotate the needles counter-clockwise until they both line up with zero.
- Repeat turning the bike on and aligning the needles until proper.
- Firmly push the needles in place (but not too deep so they don’t turn).
- Finish assembling the gauge cluster.
- Install cluster.
- Done, cost = $24.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauges.jpg
Views:	2282
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	197017  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2013, 7:48 pm
Administrator

Garage
I will copy and paste this in the Sport Classic forum here, I am sure everyone will appreciate this.

Scott
Sacramento CA

'03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW R1250GSA
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:05 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Good one Scott. Now thats a very proactive move!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
I will copy and paste this in the Sport Classic forum here, I am sure everyone will appreciate this.

Old May 13th, 2013, 10:48 pm

Oh awesome! When I had my tach problem (I think I was the first to have it fixed) I looked around for a replacement stepper motor for hours, but had no idea where to find one.
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:53 pm

where did you order the stepper motors from? can you post a link? thanks
Old May 14th, 2013, 7:00 am

Garage
Thanks for posting info and updates

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Dan
2007 GT1000 SC
2016 X Diavel S
Old May 14th, 2013, 8:14 am

Garage
A definite sticky! Nice work. Thank you so much for tackling this

Pictures are always nice but a link to where you got the motors would be very helpful.

Toby
2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 monoposto(click me) |2014 Diavel Strada Ti | '72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top | '76 VW Riviera Sundowner 2.0L, family camper | '95 VW Jetta GL 2.0L, Close-ratio tranny, LSD, modified engine
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:57 pm Thread Starter

Stepper Motors

I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post the distributor, and contact info on here. There is only one distributor in the US. They were friendly and helpful. They sold to the public (me), and sold me two. They made it to Canada in about a week.

I could do a full write up with pictures, but figured if you weren't comfortable soldering and pulling apart gauges in the first place, pictures wouldn't likely help you. If there was doubt, sending in the gauges seemed prudent.
Old May 15th, 2013, 8:25 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2sky View Post
I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post the distributor, and contact info on here. There is only one distributor in the US. They were friendly and helpful. They sold to the public (me), and sold me two. They made it to Canada in about a week.
You can post the distributor. We've done it for the electrical plugs and R/R units and haven't been slapped yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2sky View Post
I could do a full write up with pictures, but figured if you weren't comfortable soldering and pulling apart gauges in the first place, pictures wouldn't likely help you. If there was doubt, sending in the gauges seemed prudent.
You don't understand. As an example, in the very distant past I've pulled the gauge cluster of my Jetta multiple times for face changes, needle changes, lighting changes, and with the cost to replace it at the time I was never really comfortable doing it. But the pictures I took showing how to do it let others figure out if they could do it or not. I wasn't comfortable changing the belts on my bike but due to others explaining what they did, what to expect, and the pictures/videos by others I was able to gauge the level of work involved and figured I could do it (and I did...it was easier than I expected). I don't have the skills, tools, TIME, nor materials to build a Veyron but boy do I sure do love to watch how it's made!

You briefly explained what you did and that's a big help as you entered uncharted territory for us. Just sayin' that more pictures would've been nice, that's all.

Toby
2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 monoposto(click me) |2014 Diavel Strada Ti | '72 VW Squareback, 2007cc, GB 5-speed, rag top | '76 VW Riviera Sundowner 2.0L, family camper | '95 VW Jetta GL 2.0L, Close-ratio tranny, LSD, modified engine
Old May 15th, 2013, 6:09 pm

and a link!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in