Du'Cafe Build - Page 4 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 95 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2013, 3:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lascivus View Post
Hi Duc MS,

Been a while so thought I'd update on progress or lack thereof. Feels like a few steps forwards followed directly by more problems to solve... part of the fun but am getting pretty keen to ride the wheels off this. When you start actually dreaming its completed and wake up disappointed, you know its time to focus.

Rear Ohlins w/remote reservoir arrived and immediately demanded a slight revision to the geometry of the top linkage for consistent loading. Clearances are still quite fine on engine and exhaust header.

All the parts are here and work is sequenced, just doesn't feel like 4 months worth of progress. Its slowly coming together.

More phone shots, sorry Tmnstr!
It really looks great. I know the feeling just wanting to ride the thing. I'm sure it will be well worth it in the end .

Maybe it has been mentioned before, but what paint scheme will you use for seat + tank? I think the red rims would go real well with pretty much anything. You could always try it for a while, and change later.

Did you manage to mount another instrument panel? I'm finding the cluster a little bulky and was considering something smaller, or atleast a thinner casing, but looking at the curcuit I'd imagine it requiring some electronics work which is probably more than I can handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 95 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2013, 9:11 am Thread Starter

Thanks Johanhej

The plan for the tank/tail is to keep it raw aluminum and polish in a few stripes & vintage Ducati logos. Haven't had much luck in working out how to/finding someone who can polish dead-straight 10mm stripes or detailed logo work, yet...

The S4R wheels are for slight unsprung weight saving and as an option to the Kineo set (when they arrive).

On the dials, I've swapped the whole cluster out for a Motogadget mini vintage dial, housed in the top of an old Lucas headlight with new internals. Reh on this forum is an electronics wizard/guru and made a module to connect the MG dial directly to the OEM wiring loom (I still need to re-flash the ecu).

Link to the dash thread:
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport...dashboard.html

On another note, anyone have any comments/thoughts on the modified exhaust? I love the rear profile, undecided side on...
post #33 of 95 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2013, 9:40 am

^ Maybe coat the muflers only with a silver high temperature coating to make them more visible and to keep your feet from getting too warm. Silver mufflers would make a nice contrast to the black like the clutch cover does and balance the black/silver. IMO

When I was fast,
motorcycles were slow.
Now motorcycles are fast,
and I'm slow.

"Black is the only color for a motorcycle.
Unless you want to sell it, then paint it red."
- Melvin "Swede" Dunlap, 1966

Cafe racers are built,
not bought.

The older I get,
the faster I was.

post #34 of 95 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2013, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Good idea, I'll try and photoshop it. The pipes do curve to out under the engine and then flatten to straight back (pic 2 shows the angles), so don't really heat the heels, thankfully. Would be great if a silver Hi-temp coating matched the other raw metal, if I don't melt boots I could strip and matte clear the pipe sections.

Still considering a larger bore from the headers back, or modifying an aftermarket exhaust to suit (Hypermotard for example may work?) Would welcome any suggestions from the wealth of experience on the forum.

Cheers - Andrew (Las)
post #35 of 95 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2013, 10:30 am

Quote:
The plan for the tank/tail is to keep it raw aluminum and polish in a few stripes & vintage Ducati logos. Haven't had much luck in working out how to/finding someone who can polish dead-straight 10mm stripes or detailed logo work, yet...
1) polish the whole thing
2) mask off the logos/stripes (heavily!)
3) Scotchbrite everything else

Should give close to the desired effect...
post #36 of 95 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 2013, 11:46 am
Motorbike Junky

Exactly the advice I was about to give! Try that, it should work pretty well.

2006 Ducati Sport 1000, black
Zard Ti exhaust, DP ECU, Waspworks PUK, Speedymoto triples, 999 Showa forks, ABM clip-ons, RCs master cylinders, Rizoma reservoirs, Oberon bar end turn signals, CRG arrow mirrors, ProGrip XL grips, Corse Dynamics headlight, Brembo silver line 4p/4p calipers, Braketech Axis Iron rotors, 999 cast aluminum wheels, S4RS CF fender, MW CF fuel cap, Corse Dynamics gauge brackets, Sato rearsets, Ducabike brake lever & reverse shifter, Surflex clutch pack w/Pro Cutting basket, TI bolts, billet hub, Rizoma pressure plate, Speedymoto Half Life cover, DID 520 chain, 14/41 sprockets, CF hugger/chain guard, Motolectric HICAP w/Shorai LFX14A2 under seat, Speedymoto belt covers, frame/axle sliders, Speedo Healer 4.0, Oberon clutch slave

2009 Ducati GT1000/Sport 1000 Scrambler
GT1000 frame/tank/seat/bars, S2R engine, S1K mono swingarm/wheels/random parts, S1K biposto exhaust, Multistrada forks, custom rock guards, 19" front wheel, dirt tires

2004 Ducati 999 ...other... build in progress
Plan: 999 frame, custom subframe/seat/exhaust, 1198 engine, 999 tank, 999/1098 suspension, triples drilled for risers, GT1000 wheels
post #37 of 95 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Hey L,

Any updates? It's time you show her off again

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #38 of 95 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2013, 7:47 am

re: build

It's a process...lookin good.
post #39 of 95 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:20 am Thread Starter

Arrow Process Flow

Hey T, J & Duc MS!

Just call me Las, everyone else does!

But seriously, back on the build: couldn't find a way to mount the suspension pivot under the seat and still clear the fuel pump, so had to flip it and mount to the swing arm and engine, and had to make it of Alu. Took a few weeks and a few designs to get it right.

Finally got it drawn and machined up, working on fitting at the moment. My welding isn't up to the level I want for this, and it means repainting the newly painted swing arm (ffs), so its back in the shop... was hoping to give update last week but I am, perhaps, too patient a man.

Sorry no pics but nothing to see at the moment really.

Cheers!
post #40 of 95 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Hey T, J & Duc MS!

Just call me Las, everyone else does!

But seriously, back on the build: couldn't find a way to mount the suspension pivot under the seat and still clear the fuel pump, so had to flip it and mount to the swing arm and engine, and had to make it of Alu. Took a few weeks and a few designs to get it right.

Finally got it drawn and machined up, working on fitting at the moment. My welding isn't up to the level I want for this, and it means repainting the newly painted swing arm (ffs), so its back in the shop... was hoping to give update last week but I am, perhaps, too patient a man.

Sorry no pics but nothing to see at the moment really.

Cheers!
Hi Las

Could you share your rocker/swing arm sketch/drawing? Randy at Strada Fab is trying to tackle the same problem in mounting an S2R SSSA to a Sport1000 mono. Thinking this could help him out by showing an alternative rocker position.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Tmnstr; Aug 27th, 2013 at 6:35 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode