Du'Cafe Build - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 7:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmann85 View Post
That is amazing. It looks brilliant! Best and most ambitious project I have seen involving a Sport Classic. Have a Sport 1000 myself.

How dos this swing arm compare to the original Sport 1000 swing arm and the S4R swing arm? Length, width, wheel center and so forth?

I have always thought of the S4R swing arm as perfect for the Sport 1000, but newer had the guts to even look for one because of the suspension linkage. Seeing your project might make me reconsider

Would the original single sided shock mount (monoposto) look totally bogus on a S4R swing arm and is it even possible.

And what about the exhaust tube near the second cylinder exhaust exit when compressing your shock? Same suspension travel and room or?
It's hard to see what you have done with the exhaust there, but I'm running Zard Titanium (2 on one side, not the NCR model), and that construction might create a problem with the suspension linkage under the seat?

Sorry for the many questions but this project is fantastic and makes me wanna strip my bike straight away!

Cheers
Thanks Sig, I'll answer as best I can and please feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

The internet is a wonderful thing. I've seen a couple of single sided swingarm (SSS) projects for the SC; Eight Forty Eights', the German one you linked and a few others since I started this, and while I'd love to claim "first", in reality this is concurrent innovation. Lots of people have thought about this kind of thing I'm sure, luckily (or crazily!), I'm neck deep in this build now.

I didn't do any research on the SSS modification before I bought the bike, but had the swingarm for a 749/999 project I was working on. Suffice it to say, when I mocked it up on the SC for fun, I just knew it had to be done. The bikes name, "Catch 22", really says it all...

November marks the 19th month of slow but steady design and engineering on this. The conversion wasn't a simple swap out, but surprisingly wasn't as hard as expected, just time consuming. The length, width and wheel center have been designed to stock specs. I can't really say what modding the S4R swingarm would involve, sorry, but at least that swingarm has a lower suspension linkage built in. In my case the rear shock has been replaced with a fully adjustable one, for better performance and to suit the reduced travel. I think the standard side mounted shock would look great, as it does in the German build, but I'm after a different aesthetic. The main issues were the swingarm mounts and the exhaust headers, all of which are custom.

As I've promised earlier in this thread, I'll detail the whole build, especially rear suspension linkage and exhaust headers with pics, as soon as possible. The swingarm was finally painted earlier in the week, and exhaust returned from getting coated today, so when it's all back together, I'll take extensive photos and do a full write up, just need to find the time and a good camera! After lurking here for so long I feel its definitely time to give something back to one of the best forums around.

Next up on the seemingly endless list following that is the front end, so new forks, axle, brakes and custom triple clamps including dials. Wheel choice is still keeping me up at night though, want to keep the classic appeal...

And if you think this is ambitious, check out SM70's race-spec Sport Classic, or Eight Forty Eights' build! Visionaries are everywhere

Cheers - Andrew (Las)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 24th, 2012, 5:33 am

We recently picked up Lascivus's Single Sided Sport 1000 on a fine Melbourne summers day

The lads in the workshop were immediately keen to investigate it's A-symmetric nature

Up on the bench with a mock up shock from a 1098

Keeping good company with another customer build

Australian Distributors for: NCR, OZ Motorbike Wheels, DM Meccanica, MWR Filters, Metaltech Components, Double Dog Moto, HM Quickshifters, Ultrabatt Lithium Ultralite Batterries, Accossato, IRC Components, FG Gubellini, Tracksliders.
Facebook
Old Dec 24th, 2012, 6:37 am

Garage
Awesome looking

The singel side swingarm is one good looking thing, but the center shock on a sport classic don like this is indescribable cool.
Realy nice work!
And now that I have received my aluminum tank and is waiting for the matching aluminum seat cowl and billet fuel base, this is the next major thing that I will follow and perhaps/hopefully achieve on my own bike one day!

Looking forward to follow this and thanks for the pictures
Merry Christmas her from Denmark

Old Dec 24th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM70 View Post
We recently picked up Lascivus's Single Sided Sport 1000 on a fine Melbourne summers day

The lads in the workshop were immediately keen to investigate it's A-symmetric nature

Up on the bench with a mock up shock from a 1098

Keeping good company with another customer build

+1 Ultra-cool!

Just when I get mine to where I want it, this pops up Guess I'll just have to love my Bella the way she is and remember that surgery could be an option in the future...if she ever needs it

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 5:42 am

Very cool!

"I never failed. I successfully eliminated 10000 ways it didn't work. And at 10001, it lit up." Thomas Edison
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 4:41 am Thread Starter

Happy new year, hope you all had a good break. Thanks for the kind wishes and words.

Cheers SM70 for the great pics and the update, appreciate it!

The shot in the ute is the finished exhaust, and in the third pic you can see the header going to the left of the shock. Brad (Bikecraft) nailed the design and it is a testament to his skill and patience. The mount bracket is almost invisible, it sounds like thunder and I think its suits the lines. Very happy with the result, cant wait have it tuned.

Now to get stuck into the suspension and the wheels at Motocicletta...

Cheers - Las
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 7:18 pm Thread Starter

Hi All,

A quick update on the build progress! Interim wheels and rear brake are on, front end swapped out, slipper clutch is in, WASP PUK and PC3 ready to install. Canít say enough good things about Motocicletta team.

Front brakes, motogadget mini vintage dial, rear ohlins and front & rear light clusters still to go, then she'll be out on the road. Alu tank and tail are still in the works, and waiting on some Kineo spoked wheels as the final touch.

some new pics:

All the best
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 238.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	139921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 239.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	139929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 240.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	139937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 241.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	139945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 242.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	139953  

Name:	Picture 243.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	139961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 244.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	139969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 246.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	139977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 257.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	139985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 255.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	139993  

Old Feb 6th, 2013, 2:12 am

Du'Cafe Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lascivus View Post
Hi All,

A quick update on the build progress! Interim wheels and rear brake are on, front end swapped out, slipper clutch is in, WASP PUK and PC3 ready to install. Canít say enough good things about Motocicletta team.

Front brakes, motogadget mini vintage dial, rear ohlins and front & rear light clusters still to go, then she'll be out on the road. Alu tank and tail are still in the works, and waiting on some Kineo spoked wheels as the final touch.

some new pics:

All the best
Looking great!

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 12:12 am Thread Starter

Momentum

Hi Duc MS,

Been a while so thought I'd update on progress or lack thereof. Feels like a few steps forwards followed directly by more problems to solve... part of the fun but am getting pretty keen to ride the wheels off this. When you start actually dreaming its completed and wake up disappointed, you know its time to focus.

Rear Ohlins w/remote reservoir arrived and immediately demanded a slight revision to the geometry of the top linkage for consistent loading. Clearances are still quite fine on engine and exhaust header.

All the parts are here and work is sequenced, just doesn't feel like 4 months worth of progress. Its slowly coming together.

More phone shots, sorry Tmnstr!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0505.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	381.4 KB
ID:	216473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0503.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	973.9 KB
ID:	216481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0502.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	925.7 KB
ID:	216489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0500.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	216497  
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 12:22 am Thread Starter

one more thing

while I actually quite like the burnt orange body with red wheels (looks better IRL), I do plan to paint the interim wheels and front fender some sort of black.

Last edited by Lascivus; Jun 12th, 2013 at 12:24 am. Reason: English has too many rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in