Under-seat Battery Mounting With Motolectric Kit - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2012, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

Under-seat Battery Mounting With Motolectric Kit

I have been working with Michael Heth of Motolectric to come up with an under-seat mounting system that keeps the ability to but the bike back to stock.

This system uses a Shorai LiFePO4 LFX14A2-BS12 battery on a quick disconnect so it can be removed on cold mornings and warmed up for easier starting. I also ordered a 26 solenoid to starter lead so I could route the wire to the left side away from my belts.

All the Motolectric components were of top quality and look strong enough to start a tank!

These are the installation steps I came up with:
1. Remove the voltage regulator.
2. Cut off the two unused plastic lugs in picture-1 (they will push the battery into the seat pan).
3. Relocate the voltage regulator under the seat with some m6 screws. Use metal spacers to hold the VR off the electronics tray a bit for cooling, see picture-2.
4. Install the battery with some adhesive backed Velcro in the location shown in picture-3. (The grey tray is not required)
5. Install the quick disconnect to the battery and attach to tray, picture-4.
6. Connect to the old battery and carefully wrap connection to prevent shorts, see picture-5. Zip tie connections to the bottom of the rear tank mount. (I bolted mine with rubber washers)
7. Remove the old solenoid and ground leads, insulate the ends and loop them back out of the way.
8. Install the new Positive & Negative leads and tie off.

Finally put modeling clay on any high spots and install your seat to check for clearance. I did this with an 06 Monoposto, and it just fits. Someone will have to test it with a two-seater..

Cheers,
Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Remove Lugs.jpg
Views:	4856
Size:	898.1 KB
ID:	107366   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Voltage Reg Moved.jpg
Views:	1437
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	107367   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Batt Tray.JPG
Views:	2865
Size:	938.1 KB
ID:	107368   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Batt Installed with QD.jpg
Views:	3881
Size:	962.1 KB
ID:	107369   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 Shrink Wrap Connecitons.jpg
Views:	1916
Size:	685.6 KB
ID:	107370  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Complete System.jpg
Views:	4182
Size:	844.0 KB
ID:	107371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motolectri​c Kit.JPG
Views:	1136
Size:	673.7 KB
ID:	107372  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2012, 8:56 pm
That cost how much?

Very nice!

I just bought the kit yesterday from Mike and can't wait to install. Yours looks great.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

2012 848 EVO
2007 Sport 1000 Monoposto SE
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2012, 9:15 pm
That cost how much?

Lee, how does it perform as far as starting?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

2012 848 EVO
2007 Sport 1000 Monoposto SE

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2012, 10:17 pm Thread Starter

Madlag,

Wont know about how it starts for another month or so I have the cam pulleys and tensioners off for a lightening & beatification project, the good news is the parts just came back from finishing and I can start putting it back together.

The bike sure looks light and cool without the battery box.

Lee
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 7:30 am

Tidy job Lee C, well done

Australian Distributors for: NCR, OZ Motorbike Wheels, DM Meccanica, MWR Filters, Metaltech Components, Double Dog Moto, HM Quickshifters, Ultrabatt Lithium Ultralite Batterries, Accossato, IRC Components, FG Gubellini, Tracksliders.
Facebook
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 7:54 am

Regarding, will it start?

My LFX14 starts the bike with no trouble at all on warm days, but after a cold night (less than 50f or 10c) it really struggles, and won't get the bike going until load has warmed it up. This can take ten minutes of messing about and feathering the throttle - probably not great for the bike either, as it then pops an bangs into life.

If you live somewhere warm all year round, then stick with the LFX14, or, if you can whip the battery out overnight then no problem, and with a removeable seat plus those anderson connectors, it should take less time that taking your helmet and gloves off... Top marks to Motolectric.

If I lived in the US, and didn't have to wait for 30+ days for overseas purchases, and the pay shipping plus 20% import duty, I'd buy Micheal's kit now, but in the meanwhile, I've taken the easy route - of more amp hours and a bigger unit, - so for now I have the LFX18 installed (which also fits fine) - as London is cold right now, and it only cost me an extra $30 and took 24 hours to arrive.

Signature Removed by Request
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 4:01 pm

I been considering the LifePo battery option for a while now and like the quick disconnect idea but would like to leave a secondary battery in place to run the clock, immobilizer, alarm etc. The problem is finding a secondary battery that is small enough to fit underseat with the main battery. I think this would be especially handy for multi-day rides.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 4:07 pm
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
The problem is finding a secondary battery that is small enough to fit underseat with the main battery.
I'm investigating that right now.

Should have some info in a few days.

HTH

Innovative Electrical Upgrades Since 2002 |*EVERY* motorcycle will start in 1 second or less if the starting circuit is properly engineered. Install our HICAP II starting circuit upgrade to the get quick easy starting you expected from your high-performance engine. Excess cranking accelerates wear on the; battery, starter motor, sprag clutch and intermediate gear. - - Pay a little now or pay a lot more later. Click to learn more Motolectric.com |
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 5:08 pm

Could you please give me the correct meassures. If I goto their site, both the european and the .com site. The meassures, shown on both the LFX14A1-BS12 and the LFX18A1-BS12. Are exact the same size as the original YT12B-BS Lead batteri.

So looking at your pictures, I cannot find out how the h*ll you can fit that into that tray.

Lars Duus
Denmark
Latitude 56 5'58.67"N
Longtitude 10 8'21.25"E
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 6:32 pm
Official Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22duke View Post
Could you please give me the correct meassures. If I goto their site, both the european and the .com site. The meassures, shown on both the LFX14A1-BS12 and the LFX18A1-BS12. Are exact the same size as the original YT12B-BS Lead batteri.

So looking at your pictures, I cannot find out how the h*ll you can fit that into that tray.
You seem to have receive some erroneous info from somewhere

(from Yuasa)

Battery Family: Maintenance Free
Battery Type: YT12B-BS
Voltage: 12
Capacity: 10
Dimensions: 6" x 2.75" x 5.125"

Shorai LFX14A2-BS12

is a smaller case (same electrical capacity as the A1 case)

Dimensions: 4.45" x 2.28" x 3.5"

HTH

Innovative Electrical Upgrades Since 2002 |*EVERY* motorcycle will start in 1 second or less if the starting circuit is properly engineered. Install our HICAP II starting circuit upgrade to the get quick easy starting you expected from your high-performance engine. Excess cranking accelerates wear on the; battery, starter motor, sprag clutch and intermediate gear. - - Pay a little now or pay a lot more later. Click to learn more Motolectric.com |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode