749/999 wheels on a SC - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 6:13 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 462
Images: 3
The heavier MTS1200 rotors do make a difference to how quick it will steer.
I used the mts1200 rotors with the 999 4p4p calipers and I also used the 999 rotors with the stock calipers (not very good fit) and now the same 999 rotors with the brembo monobloc.

It is much easier to turn in with the lighter rotors.

Just buy some ohlins on ebay and be done with it... you will never regret it!

2008 Sport 1000 biposto with Termignoni slip ons and Ducati Performance ECU.
Oberon 29mm clutch slave.
999R Forged Aluminium Marchesinis
749 Rear rotor and caliper.
999 front rotors
Brembo Monobloc Radial Calipers
Ohlins Forks
Rear spacer kit from Fast Frank Racing.
Michelin Pilot Road 2 tyres.
Fleda Tail unit
mikedsilva is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2013, 4:39 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 232
Maybe this has been covered, but are the 999 and 999R rotors the same? I'm looking at buying front rotors off a 999R and hoping these have the same offset. I'm gonna run 999R wheels, though with non-radial calipers.
johanhej is offline  
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2013, 9:13 am
Senior Member
 
greggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London, UK for now. Home is the Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 1,095
The rotors are the same on both. You'll need to machine non-radial calipers to match the offset

My therapist has two wheels and desmodromic valves
greggers is offline  
 
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2013, 2:56 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedsilva View Post
The heavier MTS1200 rotors do make a difference to how quick it will steer.
I used the mts1200 rotors with the 999 4p4p calipers and I also used the 999 rotors with the stock calipers (not very good fit) and now the same 999 rotors with the brembo monobloc.

It is much easier to turn in with the lighter rotors.

Just buy some ohlins on ebay and be done with it... you will never regret it!
Is the weight difference between the MTS1200 and 999 rotors general, or only for OEM? The HPK rotors ought to be the same weight, right?

Anyone had any problems with fit when running the MTS rotors?
johanhej is offline  
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2013, 3:43 pm
Senior Member
 
greggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London, UK for now. Home is the Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanhej View Post
Is the weight difference between the MTS1200 and 999 rotors general, or only for OEM? The HPK rotors ought to be the same weight, right?

Anyone had any problems with fit when running the MTS rotors?
OEM first and foremost. The MTS rotors have steel carriers vs. the 999 aluminum. Aftermarket, assuming you get the offset matching the MTS spec, may be lighter, but it'd be best to confirm that with the manufacturer first. If you have the 999 rotors already, I'd weigh those as a starting point.

Small weight variances here do make quite a difference. I've heard someone who knows a fair amount bikes mention that losing 1 lb of rotating, unsprung weight can be equal to dozens (plural) of lbs elsewhere on the bike. I have no scientific backing for that, but based on my own experiences, to a degree, I believe it.

My therapist has two wheels and desmodromic valves
greggers is offline  
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2013, 1:05 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggers View Post
OEM first and foremost. The MTS rotors have steel carriers vs. the 999 aluminum. Aftermarket, assuming you get the offset matching the MTS spec, may be lighter, but it'd be best to confirm that with the manufacturer first. If you have the 999 rotors already, I'd weigh those as a starting point.

Small weight variances here do make quite a difference. I've heard someone who knows a fair amount bikes mention that losing 1 lb of rotating, unsprung weight can be equal to dozens (plural) of lbs elsewhere on the bike. I have no scientific backing for that, but based on my own experiences, to a degree, I believe it.
Thank you very much greggers. Seems like the MTS ones definetly are the better choice then if the performance is the same.

EDIT: I've rear alot about "there not being a good alternative MTS1200 rotors available". The HPK from Brembo seems like an awfully good alternative, or am I missing something?

http://motowheels.com/i-9806560-brem...l-mts1200.html

They ought to be direct fit with the 999 wheels and axial mounted 999 calipers.

Sorry, I'm really overdoing this, but buying non fitting items has been a huge problem for my GT1000 lol.

Last edited by johanhej; Jun 6th, 2013 at 2:13 am.
johanhej is offline  
post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2013, 3:51 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 232
Bought some MTS1200 rotors now, truly hoping they'll fit...
johanhej is offline  
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2013, 9:44 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 232
So, I finally got around to start doing the conversion. As mentioned earlier I bought some hpk brembos for mts1200 expecting these would bolt right up without complications. Unfortunately, there was a slight case of interference on the inside of every rotor towards the caliper. It's real minor, but still noticeable. Bike could probably be used like this even though not fully correct.

I tried some 2 mm shims I had nearby, between caliper and mount, but these were too big and actually caused the buttons to interfere with the caliper ---> way bad.

I will make some 0.5 mm shims and check fitment. I think this will ok.

I will get back with result. So stoked about this conversion.
johanhej is offline  
post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2013, 7:45 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 232
Anyone mind sharing speedohealer calibration? Was thinking tire size is close to equal, then 6/5=1.2. So a 20 % increase ought to be pretty accurate to OEM.

Then there's the speedo error from factory, which has been said to be around +8 %. 1.20*0.92 = 1.104. Used +14.0 % to be on the safe side.

Any other ideas?
johanhej is offline  
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2013, 12:51 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Marcos (San Diego), CA, USA
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanhej View Post
Anyone mind sharing speedohealer calibration? Was thinking tire size is close to equal, then 6/5=1.2. So a 20 % increase ought to be pretty accurate to OEM.

Then there's the speedo error from factory, which has been said to be around +8 %. 1.20*0.92 = 1.104. Used +14.0 % to be on the safe side.

Any other ideas?
I saw 14% somewhere too when I searched. I think it was Tmnstr said it. I set mine to 14 and i was on the fwy and it said I was doing 90, minivans were passing me. I dont think it's right on MY bike. I am just going to set it to 0, then use my gps and figure out wtf it is.
Agro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SC wheels on SS? dirkwrong Supersport 9 Mar 1st, 2010 10:12 am
Wheels what to do ? Wiskey Tango Foxtrot OVER Superbikes 7 Dec 23rd, 2009 8:11 am
MAG Wheels dee Sport Classic 13 Oct 21st, 2008 5:35 pm
999/749 wheels on a 996/748? Desmo Soundtrack Superbikes 1 Jul 9th, 2007 10:13 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome