Lane Splitting - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:20 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Lane Splitting

Just curious as to how other Sport Classic riders feel about lane splitting either while moving or at stop lights. I for one do not feel comfortable doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrafx2006
Just curious as to how other Sport Classic riders feel about lane splitting either while moving or at stop lights. I for one do not feel comfortable doing it.
Legal in California right? I would think people would be somewhat more aware that there is the potential for a bike to be comming up alongside them. Here in New York you'd be looked at as having a death wish. I have had occassion in traffic (on air cooled bikes) when I've had to split. Most people are cool. Some people get super aggressive... like cutting in the lunch line at kindergarden.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:28 pm
ROF

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrafx2006
I feel really confident about lane splitting ever since I bought the LANE SPLITTING TRAINING VIDEO PART ONE and PART TWO

Phil - Salem, Oregon (USA)
THE FLEDA PROJECT
[email protected] - www.pakbikes.net
www.alpinawheelsusa.com
PS1000LE -- '72 Triumph Daytona

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 12:54 am

I lane split. Some prior experiences leave me wondering about doing so, however, in the middle of Southern California traffic is not a place I like to find myself sitting for any length of time.

GT1000 “The Goat”
PS1000LE "Giuliana"
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 1:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDice
Legal in California right? I would think people would be somewhat more aware that there is the potential for a bike to be comming up alongside them. Here in New York you'd be looked at as having a death wish. I have had occassion in traffic (on air cooled bikes) when I've had to split. Most people are cool. Some people get super aggressive... like cutting in the lunch line at kindergarden.
Legal in Cali.

Lane splitting is awesome....
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 1:49 am

Here in the UK if you don't lane split (or "filter") during your test you'll fail for not having enough confidence. It happened to someone in my class.

I've been lane splitting in London every day for the almost 19 years we've lived here. Over that time I've had two drivers suddenly turn without signalling and contact was made. Whenever I'm on a loud bike people are more apt to move over to let me by; I feel safer.

There are "Think Bike" safety campaigns in the press and drivers are fairly bike aware, which helps. In the north of England, where the love of bikes is stronger despite crap weather, drivers seem to keep one eye on the rear view mirror and move over consistently. I notice the couriers on bikes held together with tape and wire always wave thanks while the white-boots brigade on the latest bikes don't. They should!
herveyw likes this.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 2:52 am
Master of Bumnitude

Here in the Monadnock region of New Hampshire there isn't enough traffic to lane split, but having learned to ride while going to college in NYC and then living in Boston for many years, it remains a natural response.

Last summer while returning from the White Mountains with some pals we ran into a total, accident caused, stop up on the highway. My friends stopped with traffic. After 5 minutes or so with us having moved 2 or 3 car lengths I simply rode into the break down lane and went forward at about 15mph. One by one several other bikes in the stopped up morass followed my 'bad' example. We were passed the accident in minutes and on our way.

"Damned New Yorker" I muttered to myself in the rear view mirror.

-don

DUCeditor
Ducatis Unlimited Connection
http://duc-bz.github.com/

http://donstnt.blogspot.com/

"Old rockers never die"
(They just keep asking everyone to repeat themselves because THEY'RE BLOODY DEAF)
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 11:35 am

Yes - do it all the time. In fact, before I started lane splitting, I would feel a little stupid for not doing it as other bikes would pass me by or as a perfectly good path would present itself while being stuck in stop and go traffic. I don't lane split in traffic moving at 40mph or faster.

=G=
'02 750 Sport
'02 SV650 Naked
'06 Triumph Speed Four
Time is an illusion... Lunchtime doubly so.
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 12:38 pm
Lifetime Premium

+1 for Lane Splitting

Lane splitting is legal in The Netherlands ..... riding a bike shaved a lot of time off my daily commute. Plus, I rather be on a bike than in a cage, even when it rains. I've never encountered any hostility from drivers during rush-hours and especially in bad weather, people (have?) had a tendency to open a corridor for bikers. I've seen the opposite at other times. Going to, or coming from, the beach on a nice, warm summer day ..... huge lines of traffic and the only ones really moving are the people on bikes. Time to pay very, very close attention. I've even had richard-heads open their doors, forcing me to make a panic stop

The legislators in Texas voted against lane splitting in TX last year; hope they change their minds this year. It's quite entertaining to read the comments from those who voted against, especlially keeping in mind that Texas revoked the helmet-law.

RonB
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 1:20 pm
dug

I lane split all the time. I split in the city, on the way to school, as I feel safer having cars in between me and the people arriving at the back of the line. I'll split on the freeway, but it depends on the circumstances. I've had fewer occasions of people moving in my way lanesplitting than I have at speed.

06 Sport1000 05 GSXR750
03 DRZ400S 99 CBR900RR (wife's)
93 CBR600F2 (in pieces)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode