Lane Splitting - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 1:49 pm
Master of Bumnitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhe225

The legislators in Texas voted against lane splitting in TX last year; hope they change their minds this year. It's quite entertaining to read the comments from those who voted against...
Non-riders know so little about motorcycling it is no surprise that they'd vote that way. But we cyclists are sometimes to blame. I expect that when a legislator thinks of lanesplitting what they picture is the fools among us who weave thru traffic heedless of other motorists. That is what they likely think they will be legitimizing.

-don

DUCeditor
Ducatis Unlimited Connection
http://duc-bz.github.com/

http://donstnt.blogspot.com/

"Old rockers never die"
(They just keep asking everyone to repeat themselves because THEY'RE BLOODY DEAF)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 5:42 pm

I ride in NYC often and consistently split lanes in traffic and ride to the front at stop lights. It's almost the norm for motorcyclist in NYC... not lane splitting in NYC may actually be considered more dangerous. Its funny in the city the drivers in the cages and cabs could care less if you "filter" or split lanes. In the suburbs of NJ when you split lanes the wives on scholarship in the Range Rovers and Escalades may attempt to run you down. In traffic, motorcycles lane splitting saves time for everyone. Unless of course you die.
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 10:12 pm

I ride to work in Peak Southern Cali traffic everyday. If I didn't split I would go crazy. It's to the point I really can't stand even driving my car in traffic anymore.

M. Marshall
06 Paul Smart- Fun/Track Toy
04 FJR1300 -SPORT-tourer
04 R1150RTP - retired work steed 108K
08 R1200RTP - Daily work steed
Early 911 sleeper-

post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:45 am

It would be great to be able to split in CO - but it there are a lot of really aggressive drivers here (seems to be concentrated to this state for some reason).

Just curious, those of you who have had someone open a door on you while splitting, how do you react to the person?

Or maybe, how do you react to an aggressive driver at all?

I've not had an opportunity to split here, and I'm not inclined to break the law to do so, but I am very interested in the idea of filtering.

Since coming back from Iraq, I seem to have less patience for traffic (I drove trucks) and I am also the Motorcycle safety liason for my unit, and would like to gain more insight on this subject.

Thanks!

"What we do not learn from history we are doomed to repeat"
~George Santanyana
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellfire
It would be great to be able to split in CO - but it there are a lot of really aggressive drivers here (seems to be concentrated to this state for some reason).

Just curious, those of you who have had someone open a door on you while splitting, how do you react to the person?

Thanks!
Like I said, I lane split every day. 90% of the time I'm splitting is on my work bike. but in over 70K on my work bike and over 30k on my other two bikes, I have never had someone open a door on me. In Califonia people are used to it. For the most part, people are usually somewhat courteous(when they are paying attention) but it seems like a good portion of them don't even realize your coming, they are to busy talking on thier cell phones to notice.

I'll tell you what though, I've seen some guys split way to fast. They have zero chance if a car moves slightly over. Every morning when you listen to the traffic report you hear of a motorcyclist down on the freeway. A couple of days ago, there were three down at the same time. If that crap keeps up, it wont surprise me if lane splitting goes away. That being said. I always wonder when I see a bike sitting in traffic, Why you would ride a bike and not split. If I'm going to sit in traffic, I might as well have AC or Heat and not breath in exhaust fumes.

M. Marshall
04 FJR1300 -SPORT-tourer
Early 911 sleeper-

post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 11:52 am
dug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellfire

Or maybe, how do you react to an aggressive driver at all?

I've not had an opportunity to split here, and I'm not inclined to break the law to do so, but I am very interested in the idea of filtering.
Never had anyone open a door on me, but have had a few try to pinch me off as I was coming through. I kind of laugh at aggressive drivers, as there's not much they can do about it. If they're really aggressive, I just hang back and look for another way past them. I've had more near collisions from people not paying attention than anyone being aggressive towards me.

Splitting depends on a lot of factors though. The way trafffic is acting, road conditions, weather conditions, lane width, traffic speed, how I'm feeling all influence my decision to split or not.

06 Sport1000 05 GSXR750
03 DRZ400S 99 CBR900RR (wife's)
93 CBR600F2 (in pieces)
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug
Splitting depends on a lot of factors though. The way trafffic is acting, road conditions, weather conditions, lane width, traffic speed, how I'm feeling all influence my decision to split or not.
Thats intersting you mentioned that. I completely agree. I was just telling my friend how it's like the traffic has a pulse and that somedays people are just not driving well and I can't wait to get off the freeway and feel lucky I made it. Other times it's flowing really well and it's pretty uneventful.

M. Marshall
04 FJR1300 -SPORT-tourer
Early 911 sleeper-

post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 9:22 pm
dug

Yeah, it's not like there's anything definable sometimes, it's just a feeling. Even though everything looks cool, I just hang back 'cause it doesn't feel right.

06 Sport1000 05 GSXR750
93 CBR600F2 (in pieces)
post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 6:54 am

True. If I leave 20 minutes early or late in the morning the traffic has a whole different feel to 'normal'.

How about the people talking on cell phones as they drive? You can tell as you come up behind them - a dozen a day with a death wish. They're worse than drunks; goodness knows how many of them I've been by without ever noticing impairment.

It's illegal in the UK to talk on a handset while driving. Unfortunately it's another one of this government's 1,400+ new laws passed in the last 9 years that goes completely unenforced. Scary.
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:22 am
dug

Yup, the cell phone users are usually pretty obvious. They're the ones going 5-10mph slower than everyone else (while they're in the middle lanes, no less).

06 Sport1000 05 GSXR750
93 CBR600F2 (in pieces)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode