Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Inside Termignoni–The Surgery

25K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  DGJ 
#1 ·
The bavarian medical team did some surgery to remove an ulcer from the inner pipe… the patient sounds much better now!

We removed the catalytic converters as they are useless for converting something due to their placement + they constrain the free gas flow.

At least 1/2 of the exhaust gas passes them by as there is a large gap between the cats and the outer skin of the silencers…

The glass wool is not to be seen on the first pic… it is positioned between the cat and the end cap and was totally contaminated…

The cats are of very cheap quality and have been replaced by some stainless steel tube…

The inner pipes have been wrapped with stainless steel wool to create a barrier that prevents the new high tech fiber wool from getting blown out.

The original DB Eaters were substituted by an improved version with much more airflow…
Now the gas can expand in the cans without getting squeezed through the constriction created by the catalytic converters.

Attachments

See less See more
#14 ·
someone please let me know (im ignorant on this)

so the racing version has no cc?

and the non-racing termis do have ccs?

is this why the none racing termis are generally more expensive?

im about to order some soon and wants to know the details...

#8 ·
Nice work! I had no idea that even the Termis had cats inside. That would explain why mine are turning yellow in that area.

I'd like to get this done to mine. What did it take to get them apart - drill out rivets in the end caps, or did you have to cut them open? :think:

Debby

#12 ·
I'd like to get this done to mine. What did it take to get them apart?

Debby
Drill out the rivets carefully… pull off the end caps and remove the glass wool…

then you can pull out the inner pipes!

Please wear plastic gloves when removing the wool… otherwise your skin will be irritated!.

Discoloration results from the constriction… the headers also get an ugly color.

We decided to blast the SC headers with glass pearls…

Attachments

#13 ·
Now I know what my project will be this weekend!

Wonder if a tune is required after removing the cats?!
No tuning necessary…

Be sure to take stainless steel wrapping for the perforated inner pipe and 600 grams per can of high quality loose fiberglass wool especially made for exhausts.
Avoid stuffing it too dense…

Attachments

#19 ·
Cat or no cat

Take of a pipe, remove the baffle and throw in a pin-pong ball… if it falls through you have no cat inside

Reference numbers from Ducati:

96453407B GT Homologated

96449107B GT Racing

96449907B SC Homologated

96450007B SC Racing

#22 ·
OK , set up looks really good ...
Uhmmmm I was looking at the picture of the new one and noticed a SMALL pinhole at the end of the weld on the left one...
Splitting hairs here OK...
When welding if he drags his torch off the weld then quickly snaps off the arc then goes back and continues to smoother it with the inert gas till cool PRESTO!!! ...No Pin hole!!!

Really no big deal just saying ...cause I'm a pipefitter and that would be a flaw on a pressure system ...Don't mean squat on an exhaust system tho...

Again good stuff thanks for posting and I'm not trying to be an a$$

Thanks for the Lesson...

#23 ·
I peered down my Termis with a flashlight. I saw straight through and saw the two welds where the pipes turn down. This means I don't have a cat since I can see the downturn, which is far too narrow for a cat and is outside the mufflers. If there was a cat present I would see a honeycomb blocking my view of the exhaust pipe bends.

Having to drill out the rivits just to check if there's a cat present is too much.

#25 ·
Haven't read all the posts on this thread but has anyone ever removed DBs from a zard system? Any words of advise, like.... You'll go deaf if you do it!?
Any pictures would be really useful, because they look pretty well fixed in there and I'm not convinced they will come out.

#26 ·
The bavarian medical team did some surgery ........

The original DB Eaters were substituted by an improved version with much more airflow…
Now the gas can expand in the cans without getting squeezed through the constriction created by the catalytic converters.

We had them made by our exhaust builder to our exact specifications…

4 pairs by now;)
Is anybody making or selling these?

I'm searching for some baffles for my Termis and am not finding too many.

#27 ·
My Termi baffle experiment

Here's another thread about the subject:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/87539-termignoni-2-2-baffle-evolution.html

You can contact Keimol as he's got a fabricator willing to make baffles. Poolagent also knows one but his fabricator wasn't available to do this (last I heard).

As for me, I've finally procured three sets of OEM baffles. I am sending two sets to a fabricator who will cut two sets and re-weld the end portions, where the holes are, back to a resulting shorter lengths. Therefore I will have a short length, mid-length, and one set of original length. As you can see in the attached photo, I've marked down where the end portions will reattach.

I plan to use a decibel monitor to measure difference in decibels. Since I need to have my bike dyno'ed, I'll try to see if get concrete performance results.

I'm certain that there's some formula in terms of frequency wavelengths of sound and gas flow, so obviously this is not based on any fact and perhaps foolish. But as a few others seem to have done this successfully, I thought I'd try myself. Besides, this re-welding option is cheaper than fabbing from scratch and preserves the orientation & size of holes, if that matters any.

For me I'm searching for compromise between loudness and performance gain, maybe I won't figure anything out from this all, but its a fun experiment/ curiosity.

FWIW, it's obvious that no two baffles are the same, the angles of the baffles and lengths are slightly off and safe to say, Termi baffles are not made automated production system. Gives more credence that this is not an exact science and flexible tolerances.

Is anybody making or selling these?

I'm searching for some baffles for my Termis and am not finding too many.

Attachments

#37 ·
Hi guys - posted on this topic last week, half way through ceramic coating headers and cans.

This thread goes some way to answering a few queries I raised in the other post, mainly the strange looking thing on one of the inner pipes (sounds like a cat converter - but weird I only have one on one tube only ?)

Other query I raised was in regard to the stainless steel wool at the base of one tube ? I'm guessing this should in both ? But still not sure of purpose.

Anyway - good thread and photos, has helped with the process.

Cheers

#47 · (Edited)
Or you could give the cores a Muriatic Acid bath to remove the CATS! Also cleans exhaust deposits & removes rust!

The bavarian medical team did some surgery to remove an ulcer from the inner pipe? the patient sounds much better now!

We removed the catalytic converters as they are useless for converting something due to their placement + they constrain the free gas flow.

At least 1/2 of the exhaust gas passes them by as there is a large gap between the cats and the outer skin of the silencers?

The glass wool is not to be seen on the first pic? it is positioned between the cat and the end cap and was totally contaminated?

The cats are of very cheap quality and have been replaced by some stainless steel tube?

The inner pipes have been wrapped with stainless steel wool to create a barrier that prevents the new high tech fiber wool from getting blown out.

The original DB Eaters were substituted by an improved version with much more airflow?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.