Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum - View Single Post - Get Thee To World Superbike Monterey, California, July 12-14
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2019, 11:50 pm
Iwannaduc

Garage
Hotel and tickets already paid for. Just gotta go. Already talked to my boss and I have approval for vacation time for the weekend. I am all set. As stated, just gotta get there.

I went every year from '96 to 2001. Missed 2002 due to a military TDY. Made it the next few years but after 2006 I stopped going for a few years. Then when WSBK was suddenly back on the calendar, late in the year in 2013 (I think it was) we went back and have been every year since.

It was great back in the mid 90s. AMA raced at Laguna in April or so, then again when WSBK was in town. Then there was AMA at Sears Point in August and the Sacramento Mile in September. The IMS was at the San Mateo event center in November kind of signaling the end of the season.

Now there's just the WSBK weekend and Sears Point (now Sonoma) and Sac Mile

The Calistoga Half Mile WAS a great venue and good racing.....until it was pretty much ruined. No infield access anymore....which anyone who's ever been to a dirt track race knows, is the best view going at any dirt track.

There was the Sonoma Mile too.....but that track just sucks. The only way to view anything is from the grand stands. GA tickets don't get you that and there's no infield access so.....never going back there again.

Lastly there's the IMS. It was moved one year to San Jose, to a venue half the size of San Mateo.....but it was still a good event. Then it was moved to Sacramento and it wasn't as good, but still not a horrible venue. Then....it just went away. Pretty much the largest motorcycle market in the US no longer has a show. So, I doubt I'll ever attend another one.

I will continue to go to Monterey.....not just because of Laguna Seca but I love the area. Pacific Grove to me is just a magical place to spend time. We'll be at the Spindrift Inn on Cannery Row again this year. I can barely wait for the weekend to start....we're heading down on Thursday and staying until Monday. Hope to see some more dot MS members there.........sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome